Cuban Rum Brands

RaiderDuck

Hi,

We love the Havana Club brown rhum, 7 years old. Price depends on where you buy it but expect to pay about 12 to 15 CUC.

You can also get an older reserva, but it is a matter of taste.

Have a great trip

Many of the locals we talked to in our trip there over the summer preferrred Santiago de Cuba rum. A 7 year old rum was under 10 CUC, while longer aged ran up to 40 CUC. There was an interesting episode on 60 minutes a week or so ago about Havana Club as there is a version made in Puerto Rico where the Bacardi's fled to after the revolution and Cuba still makes a version just not with the Bacardi family recipe. As an aside we visited two cemeteries, one in Havana and one in Santiago de Cuba (Fidel is buried there now), in one of those cemeteries is the Bacardi family tomb.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

We love the Havana Club brown rhum, 7 years old. Price depends on where you buy it but expect to pay about 12 to 15 CUC.

You can also get an older reserva, but it is a matter of taste.

Have a great trip

Exactly our favorite too. Havana Club 7 year Anejo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
Many of the locals we talked to in our trip there over the summer preferrred Santiago de Cuba rum. A 7 year old rum was under 10 CUC, while longer aged ran up to 40 CUC. There was an interesting episode on 60 minutes a week or so ago about Havana Club as there is a version made in Puerto Rico where the Bacardi's fled to after the revolution and Cuba still makes a version just not with the Bacardi family recipe. As an aside we visited two cemeteries, one in Havana and one in Santiago de Cuba (Fidel is buried there now), in one of those cemeteries is the Bacardi family tomb.

Here's an article from the Washington Post about a taste test they ran on the Cuban version of Havana Club and the Bacardi Version

According to a July 2016 WASHINGTON POST article, one of those better rums is the Havana Club rum now being made in the US (Puerto Rico) by Bacardi. Bacardi is not claiming their current product is the exact formula of the original Havana Club. At the least, the technology is different. However, Bacardi claims their product is more faithful to the original than the product currently selling in Cuba. The story behind this liquor is complicated and reading the article takes concentration, at the least because both products bear the name Havana Club. Here's the link to the article about both rums in the WASHINGTON POST.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...

The WAPO did a taste test of the two Havana Club rums and included bottles of two other rums effectively serving as controls. If you aren't that interested in the legal backing and forthing and the history, skip down to the end to read the results of the tasting.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I started with the & year old havana Club .While in Santiago i got hooked on the 12 year old Santiago. Now have 2 bottles in home. both were 50 CUC's.. meanwhile there is a 20 and 25 but was afraid to taste as i would love it. .there a hotel and bar in the first SQ not far from the church. it sells by the glass Santiago rum.. i was there two days in a row,