Which Princess Cruisetour?

dickinson

We are thinking of doing an Alaska cruise tour in 2018. Previously we did a rt from Seattle so no land portion. How do we choose? What have you picked and why? I do know I want two days at the Mt McKinley lodge so we can do the Tundra Wilderness Tour into Denali. Other than that not sure.

Thanks for any help!

We picked the MA7, with two days in Denali and two in Fairbanks. There are a lot of choices. Look at the possible excursions, too see what you will like. We are cruising May 2017. Note, the land excursions book up fast, I have already booked ours, some are sold out already.

We are thinking of doing an Alaska cruise tour in 2018. Previously we did a rt from Seattle so no land portion. How do we choose? What have you picked and why? I do know I want two days at the Mt McKinley lodge so we can do the Tundra Wilderness Tour into Denali. Other than that not sure.

Thanks for any help!

The McKinley Lodge doesn't have much there, but the mountain is beautiful when it shows. I think you want to go to the Denali lodge to do the TWT.

This will be my second time doing the Connoisseur tour. I like it because most meals are paid for and all issues/added excursions/dinner reservations are taken care of by your guide. It's a no stress/non-thinking tour. I'm one who likes everything paid for before my trip.

The McKinley Lodge doesn't have much there, but the mountain is beautiful when it shows. I think you want to go to the Denali lodge to do the TWT.

This will be my second time doing the Connoisseur tour. I like it because most meals are paid for and all issues/added excursions/dinner reservations are taken care of by your guide. It's a no stress/non-thinking tour. I'm one who likes everything paid for before my trip.

I was thinking maybe we would do the Connoisseur also. I see some tours do the Kenai Peninsula, Copper River, etc. That is why it is all confusing to me because I don't know which places might be the better places. I think the Connoisseur does Mckinly, Denali and Fairbanks. One might do a night in Anchorage instead of two in Fairbanks. Again, not sure which is better. Mostly we would like to see wildlife (from afar:D) and Denali (although I have heard the mountain only makes an appearance 30% of the time).

I was thinking maybe we would do the Connoisseur also. I see some tours do the Kenai Peninsula, Copper River, etc. That is why it is all confusing to me because I don't know which places might be the better places. I think the Connoisseur does Mckinly, Denali and Fairbanks. One might do a night in Anchorage instead of two in Fairbanks. Again, not sure which is better. Mostly we would like to see wildlife (from afar:D) and Denali (although I have heard the mountain only makes an appearance 30% of the time).

This time around I'm going to Kenai and added the Kenai Fjord NP Cruise. Maybe this link will help?

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/cruisetour-options/

Thanks for any help!

We are going on a cruisetour in 2017 and the chart showing the comparison between trips really helped us solidify which tours we were most interested in, and we narrowed it down from there. This post shows what will be offered in 2018. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2425278

They have changed some of the cruisetours names, so what someone references this year or for 2017 may be a different cruisetour number. (We are on MB7 in 2017 but it is called NB7 in 2018. :confused:

If you would like to do the longer tour in Denali, then definitely look for a cruisetour that has two nights at the Denali Princess Wilderness lodge (not the McKinley lodge). The connoisseur tours includes the Tundra Wilderness tour, but it is easy to upgrade for a small fee if you choose a different type of tour. If it is a priority to do the TWT, then you will want to make sure to go late enough that it is offered as it is not offered before May 20th. See: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

Another useful link is: https://www.princesslodges.com/princess-alaska-lodges/

You can look at what types of accommodations and even the types of excursions that are available at each location. Sometimes that will help you decide as well.

I hope this gives you some information that will make your choosing easier. :)

• 4 months later...

we are thinking of doing cruise tour SB8 in 2018...it goes to Fairbanks (not a priority for us) then Denali, Copper River, and Kenai Peninsula. seems the best of all worlds but most of the traveling is by coach. It is a connoisseur tour so mega expensive but is the only tour that has Denali, Copper River, and Kenai lodges and no McKinley (which is what we prefer).

Has anyone done this cruise tour?