From Venice Airport to Cruise Pier by land taxi?

We will be arriving in Venice by plane and want to get to the cruise pier as quickly and cheaply as possible. Our ship, the Grand Princess, will not be leaving until the next day, so our hotel is the ship. We just want to get on board, spend a little bit getting settled and then head off sightseeing.

I am under the impression that you can take a land taxi from the airport to the pier. There will be four of us to share the cost.....approximately what will it cost?

Thanks!

Yes, you can take a land taxi from the airport to the pier. It's a 15/20 minutes journey and the cost should be around 25/30 euro (ask the taxi driver an estimate of the cost before to start).

I see only a problem: if you have lot of luggage it's not possible to stay all together in a taxi, so you will need two taxi.

A personal suggestion: some taxi are bigger than others, so when you see the taxi line outside the arrivals terminal ask to a "big" taxi if he can carry you and your luggage. By the italian law you have the right to choose a taxi, even if it's not the first of the line. (But be prepared to receive some claims from the first taxi of the line).

Hope this helps.

You might check to see what the cruise line is charging for transfers from the airport to the ship. They will probably be using a bus and you might have to wait until there was a bus full of people but it might be cheaper than two taxis. Another option is you may be able to get a "taxi" that is actually a van and then the four of you and your luggage would fit, hopefully.

Venice is a beautiful city and I'm sure you are going to have a great cruise. Be sure to be on one of the top decks when your ship sails out of Venice with your camera because you will be able to take some of best pictures of the city from that vantage point. Your ship is probably going to be the highest object in the city at that point.

Have a really great next cruise.

Costa has a transfer (in case this is who you are sailing with) that you can book even if you didnt book air via them. The transfers are $30 return pp. This is pretty good. (book with Costa or your TA) They run a bus every half hour on the hour starting at 10am.

After researching, this was a lot cheaper that trying to get there on our own.

Once we get our bags etc. to the port, we were told the porter will take them from us and we dont have to get on the ship right away. (We get in at 10am and wanted to explore a bit before embarking)

That way, we will be without bags, and able to catch a Vaperetto (water taxi) and explore!

:O)

Thank you everyone for your advice. We will be going on the Grand Princess which will let us board on Sept. 11th at 1:00 p.m., but we don't actually leave until the next afternoon, so we will have quite a bit of time to see Venice. The transfer that Princess offers cost $52 pp, so that is pretty steep.

I have now found that there is a bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma (only about 3 Euros) and then it sounds like the cruise ships run free shuttles from there to the ship. That sounds like the way to go.

Anyone had any experience with that?

As long as the ship has a shuttle from Piazalle Roma to the dock you will be fine. But you wouldn't want to have to walk there dragging and carrying your luggage. This is one of the few areas of Venice where there is actually a "hill" which rises from the Piazalle Roma up to where the bridge comes across from the mainland. Then you would walk across a bridge and then go downhill to the port area. We walked from the ship to the Piazalle Roma the morning our ship, the Golden, your ship's sister, docked. We were on our way to pick up our Venice Card and were only carrying cameras. I sure wouldn't have wanted to make that trek with luggage.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Charlene!

I'll have to check our roll call and see who it is that was leaving on a spring break cruise! I tried to use the little embarassed smiley here - but for some reason, I am not able to use the smilies, or change font, size or color etc.

Another option would be to take the bus to Piazalle Roma and then catch a taxi from there to the port. We will be arriving 1 day early in Venice and will take the bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma, leave our large pieces of luggage in their "left luggage" area and then take the vaporetto to our hotel. The next morning, we'll take the vaporetto back to pick up our luggage and then plan to take the taxi to the port.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Glad to hear that's what you're going to do too....take the bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma. I think you've got a good plan....believe me, you don't want to get on a vaparetto with a lot of luggage. Even with a little bit of luggage, it's not too much fun (I've done it). You'll be fine, as long as you don't take on more than you can handle easily.

So, I think we'll either take the free shuttle Princess offers from Piazalle Roma to the ship or we'll hop a cab from there. Probably don't need to make those plans till we get there....

• 12 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Are there plenty of taxis readily available at the airport, or do you need to book a taxi ahead of time to get to the cruise port?

This thread is from 2005 and is on the wrong forum as well.

I suggest you repost this as a new thread on the Italy ports of call forum, where you're more likely to get a good (and current) response.

We took the ATVO bus from Piazza Roma to the airport last September and it was easy so the reverse trip is what I would recommend. The bus cost only a few euros. From Piazza Roma to the people mover is probably around 100 yards on flat sidewalks. When you get off the people mover, the shuttle to the ship is across the street. It's very easy and inexpensive.

If you're overnight on the ship, Check in and drop your luggage off and head back to Piazza Roma and buy a 24 hour Vaporetto pass for $15 euros. The pass will give you unlimited access for the remainder of the day and the next morning.