Walk to Julia St Pier From Fulton Garage

vital1

I did a search on this and came up empty. Is it possible to walk from Fulton garage to pier? I think the distance (how far is it?) is ok for us, we travel light, but will the garage folks let ya? I just bought a new car and don't like the idea of it in the Whale Lot for a week. More worried about weather issues than break-ins. I also don't want to start and end my vacay on a shuttle in line:o.

It isn't a bad walk, if the weather cooperates.

When you leave the garage, turn left (towards downtown) and walk about two blocks to Julia Street.

Turn right, cross Convention Center Blvd. and follow the covered walkway leading to the Riverwalk. Cross the railroad/streetcar tracks and there is a roadway leading to the terminal. You will have to dodge some vehicular traffic, and the signs say "no pedestrian traffic" but a good number of people do it.

We also have reservations for Fulton for our RCCL cruise in January. We are contemplating walking it also. I found some good information with pictures of the area here

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/nola_6205.htm

I figure we will play it by ear whether we walk or take the shuttle. But the pictures certainly helped me. I also did some exploring with Google Earth. :)

My husband and I have sailed out of there twice. Once we parked at Fulton Street and last time in the whale lot.

The Fulton Street garage was awesome, had no issues and the shuttle was there as soon as we got off the ship and it took us right back to the garage. No lines, more then one shuttle and very quick service! The employees were great too. To walk it is about 1/4 of a mile my husband thinks!

The only reason we parked at the whale lot this last time is because the rates were the same as Fulton Street and it was much closer. Had no issues there either.

Enjoy your cruise!

Last time I sailed from NOLA was on Carnival and I was hoping we could park in that garage...talk about EASY!

I will do a review b/c this is my first time on RCI and I'm really excited to see what they have to offer. I still don't mind Carnival, just ready for the "wow" factor when I walk on a ship again.:D

I have used Fulton Place Parking 3 times in the past and will park there again in January. It's safe and cheaper than parking at the port. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a shuttle. As far as walking, you have to walk around the Convention Center which is gigantic. It's just across the street from Fulton Parking, but it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the entrance of the port. If the weather is okay and you don't have much to carry, then you can walk. I always pull through the unloading area at the port, drop of our luggage, and then go park in the garage and ride the shuttle back.

I have used Fulton Place Parking 3 times in the past and will park there again in January. It's safe and cheaper than parking at the port. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a shuttle. As far as walking, you have to walk around the Convention Center which is gigantic. It's just across the street from Fulton Parking, but it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the entrance of the port. If the weather is okay and you don't have much to carry, then you can walk. I always pull through the unloading area at the port, drop of our luggage, and then go park in the garage and ride the shuttle back.

I don't know why I didn't think of that! What time can you unload your luggage at the port? We'll only have one large bag and one carry on so either way will be good.

I'm staying at the Hilton Riverside and was wondering if I could park in either lot the night before since parking at the Hilton is a rip-off:eek:. I just plan on going to LUSH on Decatur and probably eating around there for supper and take the trolley back to the hotel.

This comes up regularly and although it might be possible to walk, I wouldn't. Weather on both ends of the trip can do anything! Traffic is terrible on cruise day and as stated, it is posted as no foot traffic. There are a ton of cops there and is not pedestrian friendly. Much better to take the shuttle or cab or just park in the whale lot. It is safe and the weather is not going to affect your new car for a week. Enjoy your cruise.

Ok, so I have a dumb question. I did Google maps street view and took the path I would take walking from Fulton Garage to Julia St Pier. It appears that I'd be walking just outside of the whale lot fence, correct? If so, do those people have a different entrance b/c I read about people walking from that lot to terminal with no issues. I guess I could walk half a block further and walk thru that lot if it makes a difference.

Also, we are staying at the Hilton Riverside where parking is $35/night:eek:. I was thinking about just parking at Fulton Place and walking to the Hilton. Then walking/taking trolley to Julia St in the morning. Has anyone done this?

Really, I'm not obsessing about this as it appears, just curious:D. No matter if I take the shuttle, park in either lot or garage, we are still going to have a fantastic time!!

When I look at Google Maps street view it looks as though there is a break in the fence near the corner of Julia St. and Convention Cntr. Blvd. Also, looking closer it looks like the fence ends. Perhaps people are walking from the lot along Julia St.?? I'm not sure.

I see a break in the fence here:

whalelot.png

Or perhaps that thing in the distance is stairs and a walkway over the streetcar tracks/road to the mall and port?

It also looks as if the fence ends (in the bottom left corner of the photo) and allows access to the covered walkway.

whalelot1.png

When looking at the path from the garage to your hotel it seems doable but warns of lack of pedestrian p aths - so I'm not sure about that trip. I reserved our spot in Fulton through airportparking and don't see why you would not be able to reserve an extra night in the garage to avoid parking fees at the hotel.

Of course your not obsessed (I'm not either ;)). Just trying to exercise thorough planning. Right ?!?

I'm trying to work out dropping luggage at the pier, parking in Fulton and then doing some streetcar sightseeing before we check in. :D

Again, you cannot imagine what the traffic is like on cruise day! Talking about driving to the port, leaving and coming back will be something else. Good luck. Last year, the traffic to get the last 5 blocks to the terminal was a couple of hours. I would never try it, but many do difficult things to save a few bucks.

Maybe the transformed the streets and traffic and things will get better.

Again, you cannot imagine what the traffic is like on cruise day! Talking about driving to the port, leaving and coming back will be something else. Good luck. Last year, the traffic to get the last 5 blocks to the terminal was a couple of hours. I would never try it, but many do difficult things to save a few bucks.

Maybe the transformed the streets and traffic and things will get better.

Look, I've cruised out of NOLA before and my sister just moved back after living there for 3 years so I do know what the traffic is like. That is why I want to park far enough away from the actual entrance and WALK vs sitting in a car to park. What I don't know is how this parking works since it was on Carnival and the parking garage was right there. I also don't understand why people in the "whale lot" can walk and others cannot. Is there a special entrance for them?

I don't know what you are talking about driving to the port, leaving and coming back. I want to park in Fulton Garage upon arrival to NOLA, go to the Hilton, spend the night, go to the pier, get on the boat, have fun, get off the boat and walk to my car and leave. That way I only park once and don't have to fool with it again. The only reason I don't want to ride the shuttle is I don't like starting my vacation crammed in a van with a bunch of people sitting in the 5 block long traffic jam. I guess it's not what other's would do, but my son and I actually enjoy walking in the city.

No, it's not to "save a couple of bucks" as I have plenty or I wouldn't be going on this cruise. It's all about convenience, not money. That's a pretty rude comment about people you don't know.

Look, I've cruised out of NOLA before and my sister just moved back after living there for 3 years so I do know what the traffic is like. That is why I want to park far enough away from the actual entrance and WALK vs sitting in a car to park. What I don't know is how this parking works since it was on Carnival and the parking garage was right there. I also don't understand why people in the "whale lot" can walk and others cannot. Is there a special entrance for them?

I don't know what you are talking about driving to the port, leaving and coming back. I want to park in Fulton Garage upon arrival to NOLA, go to the Hilton, spend the night, go to the pier, get on the boat, have fun, get off the boat and walk to my car and leave. That way I only park once and don't have to fool with it again. The only reason I don't want to ride the shuttle is I don't like starting my vacation crammed in a van with a bunch of people sitting in the 5 block long traffic jam. I guess it's not what other's would do, but my son and I actually enjoy walking in the city.

No, it's not to "save a couple of bucks" as I have plenty or I wouldn't be going on this cruise. It's all about convenience, not money. That's a pretty rude comment about people you don't know.

Really?? If you are experienced in NO and your sister lived there, I would think you had the answers to everything? There are others on this post too. You can walk anywhere and make it work if you want. My comments were about how easy or difficult it is. Rude I'm not. I can't imagine parking and walking in all that mess when there is parking within feet of the pier. Enjoy your trip!!!:rolleyes:

Really?? If you are experienced in NO and your sister lived there, I would think you had the answers to everything? There are others on this post too. You can walk anywhere and make it work if you want. My comments were about how easy or difficult it is. Rude I'm not. I can't imagine parking and walking in all that mess when there is parking within feet of the pier. Enjoy your trip!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, really. When you don't go to New Orleans to do the touristy things you don't know about the touristy areas. Why would I go to the cruise terminals when I'm not going on a cruise? That area of NOLA is very touristy and the locals only go there if they are working or have visitors in town. I'm sure many people who live/frequent large cities have areas they don't know much about :rolleyes:.

If there's parking within feet of the pier from the same parking lot I'd be walking through, then how do those people get to the pier? Is there some special crossing that they can take b/c they parked in the whale lot that others can't?

I may just drive down there and figure it out tomorrow. Either way I'll be sure to let everyone know when I return.

There is a stairway from the Hilton to the Riverwalk. It's a little hard to describe where it is, but just ask. You can stop at the Cafe du Monde in the Riverwalk and start your day with beignets and coffee.

Can you enter the port from the Riverwalk? That would be ideal!!

Nevermind, I see that's the Carnival terminal. Oh well, I'll just have to see what to do when we get there in 6 DAYS! :-). Seriously, thank you for answering all of the questions on NOLA. I clicked on your name to see what other info you had posted about the pier and found that you are a wealth of information!!

Can you enter the port from the Riverwalk? That would be ideal!!

Nevermind, I see that's the Carnival terminal. Oh well, I'll just have to see what to do when we get there in 6 DAYS! :-). Seriously, thank you for answering all of the questions on NOLA. I clicked on your name to see what other info you had posted about the pier and found that you are a wealth of information!!

Another piece of information in all the posts about entering from the riverwalk is that when you get to the end, sometimes it is locked and you have to go all the way back.

Another piece of information in all the posts about entering from the riverwalk is that when you get to the end, sometimes it is locked and you have to go all the way back.

Thank you for that information. That would be a crappy way to start the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we are back from our cruise. Had a great time and already have laundry washing:o.

Here's what I did......we parked at Fulton Street Garage the Friday night before the cruise. Since we were staying at the Hilton Riverside it was a short walk and easy to do. We went to the hotel first and dropped our bags off with the bellhops (I guess that's what they're called now). We drove back to the garage, parked and walked back to the hotel. It was about a 15 minute walk with having to wait for crossing lights to change. This was also during evening rush hour traffic with some sort of event happening that night. A lot of honking, but no problem for pedestrians if you crossed at the proper place.

The morning of the cruise we walked through the Riverwalk since it is connected to the Hilton. We took the exit from the mall down to Julia Street and ended up right at the corner of the whale lot. We were able to cross the tracks and walk right into the Royal Caribbean check in area. There were policemen directing traffic at a crosswalk there. This is the same way people who park in the "whale lot" get to the terminal. I did see the No Pedestrian signs, but they were further down from where we needed to be. See below for explanation.

We did self-disembark at 0650 and was in our car in the Fulton Garage at 0711 this morning. Easy walk to the garage as you go back across the same crosswalk you used to enter, walk up Julia St to the red light, take a left and you can see the garage about 3-4 blocks down. We were the only ship in port this morning and it was very easy. After we loaded the car and exited the garage, the first shuttle from the ship was unloading at the garage. Yes, we could've waited, but we enjoy walking and not having to wait in a line one last time:cool:.

I think where people get confused about walking to the pier is where the ship is berthed. If you are taking a Carnival Cruise from Erato St Pier, park in the port garage, hands down. No reason not to. You drive in, porters get your luggage and you park. The elevator in that garage takes you right to the terminal. Can't get much easier than that and to me saving the $4/day wouldn't be worth the convenience of that parking.

If you are on a RCI or NCL cruise, the choice is the open "whale lot" or other options such as the Fulton Garage. Personally, I am going to use the Fulton Garage if I ever do another non-Carnival cruise from NOLA. I like the idea of covered parking, but that's personal preference (and having a brand new car:D). One couple I talked with said the parking places are "tight" in the whale lot, but other than that they had no complaints.

So, to answer my question at the beginning of this thread...yes, you can walk to the pier. It is a personal preference and comfort level choice in my opinion. Some walking looked miserable and some looked happy. I guess the heavier the suitcase the less happy you will be:D.

I will answer any questions y'all may have.

Thanks for the feedback!! I was hoping you would come back and let us know. Our experience was based on two ships, and much colder/wetter weather in December. I will modify any future advice I give based on what your experience was. Glad it was a good trip and once again, THANKS!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Yay!! I am so glad you came back to tell us and that you had an easy time of it. Sounds like what we will most likely do - minus the hotel stay as we are not far from NOL.

I think you had prereserved the parking garage right? How was the check in? I have printed off our reservation confirmation - is that all you had to show them? Did you have to do anything on the day you left the garage? Check with anyone or get a reciept or anything?

Thanks! Crossing my fingers for a review of the rest of your trip! :o;)

Archived