Exchange rate on thompson majesty

Having brought euros yesterday, and got a good rate of 124.10, should I need to change more on the ship, how are the rates ? Thanks

I think we are all agreed on here that it's best to get your currency elsewhere - the rates are not competitive. It may be expedient for you but I would definitely look at alternatives. Banks on shore should give better rates.

We have a Clarity credit card from a High Street Bank which allows you to draw cash at an AGM at the current exchange rate with no commission or flat rate transaction charge. I think Nationwide do one too and others. Martin Lewis' money site will have upto date info on that. (But do check if you are using a CC as some charge 2% on cash withdrawals and perhaps a £2.50 transaction charge. Expensive if you only want £10 worth of cash!)

We use that card exclusively on holiday and find it's accepted in most cafés, museums, entrance fees etc. Helps preserve the cash which we generally get from M&S or the P. O. - the rates are generally good and no commission charge but you have already got a good rate for your €.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Kruzseeka,

A classic typo !!!

"We have a Clarity credit card from a High Street Bank which allows you to draw cash at an AGM"

Do you need to propose a motion through the chair and have it seconded before cash is released ? :)

:D:D and what's more I had to read your post three times before I got what you were saying - well I got what you were saying but couldn't see why! :eek: Talk about reading what you think is there rather than what is actually there. I'll blame the predictive text - but that doesn't get me out of poor proof reading skills! :D

Chelseawolves,

The "what is best" debate on obtaining foreign currency comes up hereabouts on a regular basis.

I'm a devout follower of Martin Lewis's advice and guidance and would recommend his website 100%.

If you are a regular cruiser and/or package holiday person there are a few banks with "worth having" current accounts where their debit cards can be used at foreign ATMs to withdraw local currency with no fees involved.

You get the currency conversion rate applicable that day (better than buying your holiday dosh in the UK) and no add ons.

You will be asked if you wish to accept the conversion rate in £ Sterling or the local currency (ie Euros) - always opt for the local currency option.

If you live in the London or Home Counties area - drop into any branch of MetroBank (with ID requirements) and open a basic current account which you can use for holiday cash needs only - no strings attached.

It used to be applicable for all foreign currencies - since late 2013 restricted to the Eurozone, so no use for Turkey, for example - but absolutely fine if you usually travel to Euro using locations. They are a new bank and keen to attract more customers.

If you don't bide near a MetroBank, or want access to a wider range of foreign currencies abroad, I can point you in a couple of other directions.

I have an account with each of these favoured banks and meet the minimum conditions to hold an advantageous debit card - haven't paid anything in fees at foreign ATMs.

If you live in or near Oxford the best exchange rates are the little shop in the Golden Cross Yard :) They also have a shop in Broad Street.

Today's rate is £100 = €123.23. I nearly bought some last week at €123, so just waiting to see if they go up to €124 ;)

Trouble is they could go down :(:D:D

I recently discovered there is a building society in Cumbria and surrounding country that has an account with a fee free debit card when used abroad - there are minimum monthly funding strings attached.....and you have to reside in their geographical area.

There are a couple of branches in Scotland - and I'm not sure how they would define/implement the above residency condition.

http://www.cumberland.co.uk/current-accounts/cumberland-plus

Edited by WeeCountyMan
new info

We travel abroad frequently and have had a Caxton Currency Card for the past couple of years, we sail next week so loaded currency on the card today, the exchange rate was 124.26 which is the best I have seen so far. It is simple to use as you log onto your account and simply transfer money from your account into your Caxton Account. You can then use it to pay by Card or draw cash from machines whilst abroad without incurring charges, it uses Visa so is accepted everywhere. :cool:

Thanks all, use to use nationwide card to draw money from ATM, until they started charging. Tend to use travelex as fairly good rates, free delivery on orders over 500 pounds. Best rates are during happy hour. They have a happy hour today between 11 and 1 pm, so rates should be over 1.24 again.

We travel abroad frequently and have had a Caxton Currency Card for the past couple of years, we sail next week so loaded currency on the card today, the exchange rate was 124.26 which is the best I have seen so far. It is simple to use as you log onto your account and simply transfer money from your account into your Caxton Account. You can then use it to pay by Card or draw cash from machines whilst abroad without incurring charges, it uses Visa so is accepted everywhere. :cool:

Tim,

I had a look at currency cards but concluded it was a better deal to use a fee free debit card at ATMs, and to settle for goods and services.

Aren't currency cards linked to your debit card account anyway (for reloading) - so it involves a double transaction ?

Doubt if there's much in it either way, so it's down to personal preference.

The Caxton card is completely fee free and has the added bonus that you only load what you need I tend to put a few hundred Euro's on at a time and if I loose it the impact is limited plus the company will replace it very quickly. From my experience the exchange rate is substantially better than the banks and has 'happy hours' with excellent exchange rates on a regular basis.

Obviously each to their own but as a member of the Motorhome community I know that this card is very popular.

• 2 weeks later...
The Caxton card is completely fee free and has the added bonus that you only load what you need I tend to put a few hundred Euro's on at a time and if I loose it the impact is limited plus the company will replace it very quickly. From my experience the exchange rate is substantially better than the banks and has 'happy hours' with excellent exchange rates on a regular basis.

Obviously each to their own but as a member of the Motorhome community I know that this card is very popular.

Spotted this in the press yesterday - may not relate to your card but perhaps worth flagging up so people can check this out and be aware of possible issues.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2710241/Find-holiday-cash-card-frozen-especially-decide-rent-car-whilst-youre-abroad.html