Okinawa taki info need help

adventurenerd

We were there last week. I don't know how quickly you will be able to get off your ship but Voyager of the Seas was cleared about 15 minutes after docking, although if this is your first port of call in Japan you may have to go through immigration. We did this in Nagasaki and it took about ten minutes.

Also, our ship let all the passengers off first who had tours booked through the cruise line.

Regarding taxi's.....there were plenty lining up just outside the entrance to the cruise terminal.

Enjoy your trip!

Dear,Wirral Girlie;

Thank you for the information.

Did you enjoy your stop over in Okinawa?

Our ship is schedule to arrive in Naha at 7am and leave at 2pm.

It will be a short stay in Okinawa.

I am taking 70 years old mother who needs to move slow. We are planning to take a taxi to Shuri jo for a nice visit.

I hope we can get off quick after dock in. Fortunately this is not the first Japanese port for our trip.

Thank you for understanding my miss spell. I hope we can catch a taxi without any problem.:)

We were there last week. I don't know how quickly you will be able to get off your ship but Voyager of the Seas was cleared about 15 minutes after docking, although if this is your first port of call in Japan you may have to go through immigration. We did this in Nagasaki and it took about ten minutes.

Also, our ship let all the passengers off first who had tours booked through the cruise line.

Regarding taxi's.....there were plenty lining up just outside the entrance to the cruise terminal.

Enjoy your trip!

What did you do in Okinawa? No shore excursions for AZ Quest yet (removed the one listed earlier so must be problem). We are there March 1, 2015 from

3 PM to 8 PM. Can you suggest what to do and how? No long walking tours please -- old legs. Were there guides and car/drivers available near port?

Thanks for any help.

We didn't dock until 2pm and left the ship around 3.30pm. I didn't see any tour guides at the cruise port but there was a tourist information desk and the ladies spoke good english, gave out maps and we very helpful.

I am sure you could hire a taxi for a few hours to take you around.

We took a taxi to Shurijo castle and spent a few hours there, it was very interesting although totally rebuilt as it was destroyed in WWII. We were also lucky enough to see traditional Japanese dancers performing there, they do this twice a day I think.

We then walked ten minutes to catch the monorail and got off at the end of the busy shopping street called Kokusai Dori or International Street. It was full of weird and wonderful shops selling bizarre gifts such as tins of Spam and snakes in jars of alcohol!! Also plenty of restaurants both traditional and modern, even a Starbucks.

At the end of the street there was a taxi rank and it was just a short ride back to the ship.

As we were in port until 2pm the following day we booked a ship excursion to go to the underground WWII Japanese Naval Headquarters and the Memorial for the Battle of Okinawa. It was all really interesting but there was some walking involved.

Overall we managed very well despite speaking very little Japanese. The taxi driver had very limited English but the information and map provided by the ladies at the cruise terminal was very useful to point at, it also had printed on it taxi prices to various tourist locations so we knew we wouldn't be overcharged.

Hope this all helps!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Kim/Wirralgirlie,

Can you recall the cost of Taxi fares to International Street and Shuri Castle? I am assuming the ship did not lay on shuttle busses....

Edited by Lobbylin

Hi Lobbylin,

Royal Caribbean did not provide any shuttle buses to the city centre but there were plenty of taxi's at the terminal.

The price list the ladies at cruise terminal gave to us showed the price to Shurijo Castle was approx 1280yen. (£8)

We showed this to the taxi driver and that is what he charged us.

The taxi back to the cruise terminal was around £5 I seem to recall, it wasn't very far.

Kim

Hi Lobbylin,

Royal Caribbean did not provide any shuttle buses to the city centre but there were plenty of taxi's at the terminal.

The price list the ladies at cruise terminal gave to us showed the price to Shurijo Castle was approx 1280yen. (£8)

We showed this to the taxi driver and that is what he charged us.

The taxi back to the cruise terminal was around £5 I seem to recall, it wasn't very far.

Kim

Much appreciated Kim,

Thanks....