Half Moon Cay Post Office?

CoasterJoe

I would bet a zillion bucks it's for show, and anything dropped there, goes straight to the ship....this is a ship-owned beach...not a "real" port at all!

I doubt the Bahamian mailman makes a special trip to an island with two inhabitants, the caretaker and his wife.

I sent this question to Holland America sine they own Half Moon Cay and this is the response I received;

"Dear Mr. CoasterJoe,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding a post office in Half Moon Cay.

While it is a deserted island there are many visitors to the port. According to our research, there is a functioning post office where one may purchase stamps, as well as send out mail, such as postcards.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or visit us online at http://www.hollandamerica.com. We hope to welcome you onboard in the future!

Kind Regards,

Bethany

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139"

I sent this question to Holland America sine they own Half Moon Cay and this is the response I received;

"Dear Mr. CoasterJoe,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding a post office in Half Moon Cay.

While it is a deserted island there are many visitors to the port. According to our research, there is a functioning post office where one may purchase stamps, as well as send out mail, such as postcards.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or visit us online at http://www.hollandamerica.com. We hope to welcome you onboard in the future!

Kind Regards,

Bethany

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139"

Ask them when the "functioning post office" is open. In seven visits, it's been closed every time.

• 1 month later...

Coaster Joe I am curious as to your postal adventures on Half Moon Cay. We are sailing on HAL for our first time in January and I am an avid postcard mailer! Its a good question especially if you find the ship doesn't carry foreign stamps.

Coaster Joe I am curious as to your postal adventures on Half Moon Cay. We are sailing on HAL for our first time in January and I am an avid postcard mailer! Its a good question especially if you find the ship doesn't carry foreign stamps.

I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to get the stamps the day before in Nassau so if I cant mail them from the island I'm just going to mail them from the ship as it will be going back to the Bahamas the week after I get off the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Disney's Castaway Cay has a functioning post office. It is only open a few hours each day a ship is docked.

As I was relaxing on the adult beach I missed getting my postcard stamped and mailed.

So, I thought I'd try something. I slid my postcard and two dollars through the mail slot. That was on December 7th, the postal worker properly stamped it with a Bahamian stamp, it was postmarked on January 31st, with a Castaway Cay, Abaco postmark. I received it back home in the US in early February!

• 3 weeks later...

I can now confirm that the post office is closed an there is no way to get stamps or mail postcards from there. I had purchased the stamps for my cards the day before in Nassau and bought cards on the island. I them mailed them from the ship and they were mailed from Nassau a couple of days after I got off the ship.

I can now confirm that the post office is closed an there is no way to get stamps or mail postcards from there. I had purchased the stamps for my cards the day before in Nassau and bought cards on the island. I them mailed them from the ship and they were mailed from Nassau a couple of days after I got off the ship.

Thanks for the report.

That "functioning post office" has been closed every time we visited.