Virgin Train from EUS to Edinburgh

We will be arriving 6 days early for a cruise and thought we would take a Virgin train from EUS to Edinburgh. I have been looking at their website and they seem to have two types. One is Pedolino and the other is Super Voyager. What is the difference? Which one is the best to take?

Basically a Pendolino is an Italian built express train, electric using overhead pick up.

6-pendolino-tilting-train.jpg

and the Super Voyager is a medium distance diesel electric train.

mw388_vt221103.jpg

The pendolino would be a bit more comfortable, but there's not a lot in it. The Pendolinos are a bit faster too.

You can read more on the differences at http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/trains/

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

I don't know the answer to your question but I would go from Kings Cross - still operated by Virgin trains and electric all the way up.

Depending on the time and date, fares can be as low as £30.00 but £52.50 or more at more popular times. It is well worth booking in advance. Although often more than twice the price, first class may be worth the extra, bearing in mind that you will be on the train for the best part of five hours.

You might also consider breaking your journey in York. This is a city well worth a visit and you could leave your luggage at the station.

I see Virgin offer some special deals - for example at 07:08 on August 4th you can do the Kings Cross to York leg for £13.00 (£32.50 first class) and the York to Edinburgh leg at 14:54 for £33.30 (£45.55).

http://tickets.virgintrainseastcoast.com/ec/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

Yes, Kings Cross to Edinburgh is a good service - plus if you can go First Class, all drinks and meals are included in the cost. Plus you can book your seat with tickets either to collect at the station or print out at home.

One thing you should be aware of, which I found out the hardway, and my OH will not let me forget is that about 25% of seats on each coach donot have a window next to them, or have restricted window space, so if you are booking online check the seat plan to make sure you have a view, its no fun 4.5hrs looking at the side of the carriage

One thing you should be aware of, which I found out the hardway, and my OH will not let me forget is that about 25% of seats on each coach donot have a window next to them, or have restricted window space, so if you are booking online check the seat plan to make sure you have a view, its no fun 4.5hrs looking at the side of the carriage

There are airline style seats in twos so someone must be sitting by the window and the other person on an aisle seat. You can also choose the other option - 4 seats round a table with 2 facing forward and 2 facing back. Obviously this also means that two are by the window and 2 are also aisle seats but even from the aisle seat IMO you can see the countryside you're passing.

There are MANY more trains from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh also operated by Virgin East Coast and which don't take as long as the west coast route. If you can book your tickets 12 weeks in advance you save a significant sum. The website is https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com.

I strongly advise if you take this route, you try to get seats on the right hand side as you face forward. You will automatically be allocated seats once you've picked your tickets but you can select your own seats on the next page of the site. You'll get great (if brief) views of York Minster, Durham Cathedral and the beautiful coastline of Northumbria and Berwickshire.

tartanexile81 if you look at the seating plan on the virgin trains site you will see seats marked in blue which says limited or no view, and I can assure you seats 31/32 in coach A which I had definitely had no side view,and a very limited view over the people in front

We will be arriving 6 days early for a cruise and thought we would take a Virgin train from EUS to Edinburgh. I have been looking at their website and they seem to have two types. One is Pedolino and the other is Super Voyager. What is the difference? Which one is the best to take?

Pendolino trains "lean in" on the curves to achieve higher speeds, a sensation that some find disconcerting.

Definitely check out the cost of First Class Advance tickets, which can occasionally be cheaper than standard class tickets. However be aware that Advance tickets are non-flexible and you MUST travel on your booked train and no other.