Quincy Hotel Singapore ? 3 Nites pre-cruise?Chinese New Year .

angelwingsflys

Hi Everyone,

I have checked this hotel with t*********,( not sure if we are allowed to use)the reviews seem to be very positive about the Quincy .

I am doing a pre-cruise holiday 3 days ,questions I would like to ask are ,is it best just to catch a taxi on boarding day (Celebrity Century ), or is it possible to catch trains or buses or maybe walk it to the ship from the Quincy? Alos what tips would you suggest ,do tours or is it possible to do it on our own to explore Singapore ?

We will be arriving on the 19th Feb , have been told that it will be the Chinese New Year,that there may be many places closed,what places will be still open whilst the New Year is celebrated.Apart from the parades that I believe will be happening ,is there special activities we should not miss???

Thanks

Cheers Deb

Edited by angelwingsflys

• 2 weeks later...

We will be arriving on the 19th Feb , have been told that it will be the Chinese New Year,that there may be many places closed,what places will be still open whilst the New Year is celebrated.Apart from the parades that I believe will be happening ,is there special activities we should not miss???

Has anybody been in Singapore for the Chinese New Year? What sort of things do I need to 'Must not miss" ?

Cheers Deb

Hello, I can try to help.

When is your cruise? When are you arriving in Singapore?

You land on 19 Feb at Changi and your cruise is 22nd/23rd?

Here are some festivities going on during this period.

http://chinatownfestivals.sg/chinatown-chinese-new-year-celebrations-2015/

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/celebrate-chinese-new-year-and-sg50-river-hongbao-2015-2

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Hi Everyone,

I have checked this hotel with t*********,( not sure if we are allowed to use)the reviews seem to be very positive about the Quincy .

I am doing a pre-cruise holiday 3 days ,questions I would like to ask are ,is it best just to catch a taxi on boarding day (Celebrity Century ), or is it possible to catch trains or buses or maybe walk it to the ship from the Quincy? Alos what tips would you suggest ,do tours or is it possible to do it on our own to explore Singapore ?

Thanks

Cheers Deb

Quincy Hotel is a boutique hotel and is located slightly off the beaten track. See this map, I put a circle around the hotel - the address is 22 Mt Elizabeth. The nearest MRT is Orchard MRT and the walk is 900M.

2014x2.jpg

There are hotels that are better located. Not sure how much Quincy is charging you. Unless the rates are very cheap, you may want to reconsider the hotel you are staying at. It is useful to stay at a hotel within 400M of a convenient MRT station.

Have you considered Fairmont? Or Marriot? Or Royal Plaza is also fine.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Quincy Hotel is definitely rated an Excellent hotel. But it is expensive compare to the location. I think location wise, there are better hotels like Swissotel the Stamford, Fairmount.

Chinese New Year on the 19th and 20th Feb. A lot of shops will be closed. However attractions like the Museums, Singapore flyer and Garden by the Bay are open. Sentosa Island is also open.

Chinese New Year (2nd day), the Istana (Presidential ground) is open for public from 8:30am to 6pm. Please note that a $1 enterance fee is require for Foreigners. There are guided tours that cost S$2 extra. You would not get to do this on normal days.

Have fun. :D

More information on the Istana open house. I have not attended an Open house before, but it looks interesting. May be worth a visit, if you are keen on visiting the Istana grounds.

http://www.istana.gov.sg/the-istana/open-house

I did get a chance to go into the Istana for a ceremony. Here are some videos.

Driving in and out.

[YOUTUBE]HKMnHy6RJLc[/YOUTUBE]

Snippets from the ceremony. The President was the Guest of Honour.

[YOUTUBE]rjdtYXQPf_g[/YOUTUBE]

questions I would like to ask are ,is it best just to catch a taxi on boarding day (Celebrity Century ), or is it possible to catch trains or buses or maybe walk it to the ship from the Quincy?

Your ship will be docked at the Marina Bay Cruise Center. For embarkation day, the easiest way is to get a taxi to the cruise center. Taxis are relatively inexpensive in Singapore. Make sure you go to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre and not the one at Harbourfront.

Hi Iluvcruising2,

you certainly have helped me with information and the video's ,they were very informative ,thank you for taking the time to post it for me .I am looking forward to explore all, that Singapore has to offer.Once again thank you!!

Cheers Deb :D

Your ship will be docked at the Marina Bay Cruise Center. For embarkation day, the easiest way is to get a taxi to the cruise center. Taxis are relatively inexpensive in Singapore. Make sure you go to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre and not the one at Harbourfront.

I will have to remember to go the right place for the ship,last time I was on a cruise ,we only spent the day there. (Always wanted to come back and explore the lovely Singapore)

I was onboard the Diamond Princess,we were at Harbourfront, that time.

Hi Iluvcruising2,

you certainly have helped me with information and the video's ,they were very informative ,thank you for taking the time to post it for me .I am looking forward to explore all, that Singapore has to offer.Once again thank you!!

Most happy to be of help. Thanks for visiting Singapore!

Watch this space. I am going to put up a video of the Marina Bay Cruise Centre, once I get that sorted out. Within the next couple of days.

Quincy Hotel is definitely rated an Excellent hotel. But it is expensive compare to the location. I think location wise, there are better hotels like Swissotel the Stamford, Fairmount.

Chinese New Year on the 19th and 20th Feb. A lot of shops will be closed. However attractions like the Museums, Singapore flyer and Garden by the Bay are open. Sentosa Island is also open.

Chinese New Year (2nd day), the Istana (Presidential ground) is open for public from 8:30am to 6pm. Please note that a $1 enterance fee is require for Foreigners. There are guided tours that cost S$2 extra. You would not get to do this on normal days.

Have fun. :D

Hi ASing1Cruise,

We were offered a fantastic discount from our travel consultant for the hotel,we did consider the 3 other hotels you mentioned ,but it was over a $300 cheaper than the Swissotel,Stamford or the Fairmont, for the 3 day stay.Also had a friend who had stayed at the Quincy, they said it was great hotel with extras ,we are being collected from the airport and breakfast.

Cheers Deb

Hi ASing1Cruise,

We were offered a fantastic discount from our travel consultant for the hotel,we did consider the 3 other hotels you mentioned ,but it was over a $300 cheaper than the Swissotel,Stamford or the Fairmont, for the 3 day stay.Also had a friend who had stayed at the Quincy, they said it was great hotel with extras ,we are being collected from the airport and breakfast.

Cheers Deb

That's great. As long as you got a good deal. I'm sure Quincy is a fine hotel. That savings could easily pay for taxi fares around. The Quincy is not that far from the Orchard MRT station and Orchard Road. Just take a slow walk, should be no problems at all.

Excellent video. Thankyou for making the effort. This will be very handy for our Sept visit.

Welcome to Singapore! Which ship will you be sailing on?

Here is another video - driving to Marina Bay Cruise Centre. Gives you an idea of the surroundings.

[YOUTUBE]GXFnEcPnyWA[/YOUTUBE]

Legend of the Seas. She will be joining the Australia/Asia market this year.

Awesome! The Legend is coming back! She left us for a while.

We have sailed on her twice. Not sure if you saw my earlier review on Cruise Critic -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1813495

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Awesome! The Legend is coming back! She left us for a while.

We have sailed on her twice. Not sure if you saw my earlier review on Cruise Critic -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1813495

Awesome review.

Legend is repo from USA via Hawaii to Sydney in May then to Sin in June. Then has some refurbishment before some local cruising out of Sin. Then in Sep does a Fremantle return before sailing back to Brisbane where she will be based for our summer season.

Awesome review.

Legend is repo from USA via Hawaii to Sydney in May then to Sin in June. Then has some refurbishment before some local cruising out of Sin. Then in Sep does a Fremantle return before sailing back to Brisbane where she will be based for our summer season.

Thanks for the info. I just went to check the itineraries. Most of the cruises are to the South Pacific islands. Have you been to those islands before?

Another driving video, where I take a slightly different route to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre. I saw at least 2 taxis dropping passengers off at the cruise centre when there was no cruise ship that day!

Make sure you get your cruise terminal right!

[YOUTUBE]AohboGf-NSY[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for the info. I just went to check the itineraries. Most of the cruises are to the South Pacific islands. Have you been to those islands before?

Another driving video, where I take a slightly different route to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre. I saw at least 2 taxis dropping passengers off at the cruise centre when there was no cruise ship that day!

Make sure you get your cruise terminal right!

[YOUTUBE]AohboGf-NSY[/YOUTUBE]

Legend will effectively take the place of Rhapsody but sail out of Brisbane instead if Sydney.

I have only done one Pacific Islands cruise and yes they are lovely places, especially Champagne Bay. Some cruises include Fiji and others include New Zealand.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread.

Your videos highlight that finding a hotel close to the MRT system makes for easy travel to the very modern new cruise terminal. I wonder if the MRT will ever be extended to the terminal?

Your videos highlight that finding a hotel close to the MRT system makes for easy travel to the very modern new cruise terminal. I wonder if the MRT will ever be extended to the terminal?

Thanks for watching the videos.

The answer is no. The MRT station is fixed. My guess is because of costs and the physical geography of that area, the engineers did not build the station closer to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre. The good thing is that it is not too far away. The walk is very manageable. The path is flat and covered. There are lifts that will bring you from the MRT station platform to street level (no need to use the escalators). unless your luggage is very heavy.

Legend will effectively take the place of Rhapsody but sail out of Brisbane instead if Sydney.

I have only done one Pacific Islands cruise and yes they are lovely places, especially Champagne Bay. Some cruises include Fiji and others include New Zealand.

Thanks for the info. Yes, we sailed a 14N cruise out of Sydney to NZ before (Voyager of the Seas) and it was a lovely experience.

Hope to get the chance to sail out of Brisbane some day. Brisbane is not too far from Singapore. :):)