Emerald Patters 2016

esstheman

Not a frequent poster by any means but I have done 2 reviews, lol. the second review was today and was of Britannia from last August, a review I thought I had done.

We are toying with the idea of booking the Copenhagen, Oslo cruise in July, from Southampton. Our 2 previous cruises were both with P&O. Any guidance would be great and I'd happily stand you a beer if we go on the trip:

1. Is it all dollars on board...if so, is this a problem or not...exchange rate rip-offs, etc?

2. Princess v P&O...thoughts?

3. We loved Aurora (medium ship) and didn't love Britannia (large ship). Emerald Princess?

Anything else worth noting, as said, beer for good tips.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Not a frequent poster by any means but I have done 2 reviews, lol. the second review was today and was of Britannia from last August, a review I thought I had done.

We are toying with the idea of booking the Copenhagen, Oslo cruise in July, from Southampton. Our 2 previous cruises were both with P&O. Any guidance would be great and I'd happily stand you a beer if we go on the trip:

1. Is it all dollars on board...if so, is this a problem or not...exchange rate rip-offs, etc? Dollars, but you don't really need any as everything is charged to your on board account. Just be sure to allow your bank to do the conversion of your bill from $ to£ (i.e. decline the princess 'offer').

2. Princess v P&O...thoughts? Never done P&O but from previous cruises more P&O people are moving to Princess, probably because Princess will count P&O cruises in their loyalty program. So, make sure you get your P&O cruises added, your travel agent or Princess will help with that, or I think it can be done via your cruise personaliser after you have booked.

3. We loved Aurora (medium ship) and didn't love Britannia (large ship). Emerald Princess? Emerald is in between those 2. She is same as Ventura/Azura.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Some answers above for you.

Our take on things.

1. Is it all dollars on board...if so, is this a problem or not...exchange rate rip-offs, etc?

Not an issue. Just choose to be billed in dollars on your cruise card and let your bank do the conversion. However do not use on board machine to convert your cash sterling to euro. You get a charge to convert from sterling to dollars and charged again to convert from dollars to euro. Now that does hurt!

2. Princess v P&O...thoughts?

The exact cruise you a looking at was our first venture onto Princess after many great cruises with P&O. To be honest we did struggle a little on this first cruise. The itinerary was wonderful and we loved all the ports however it took time to adjust to the Princess product. The food, service and entertainment is definitely geared to a North American clientele, although on all our Princess cruises from the UK the passengers have been overwhelmingly British. This change in orientation makes it quite different from P&O.

However that is not a bad thing at all. We enjoy the liveliness and energy of Princess, no sleepy corners or grumpy moaning. Tips are a lot higher but cruise fares are often very good and you get to choose your cabin. Also if the price falls after booking Princess will often reduce your fare but you have to ask. You do pay for shuttle buses but on this itinerary we only needed one at Oslo.

It is not as easy as P&O as it is more foreign holiday rather than home from home. We now love both lines and it is nice to have another option.

3. We loved Aurora (medium ship) and didn't love Britannia (large ship). Emerald Princess?

We have not sailed on P&Os smaller ships so cannot help with this.

Kind regards,

Michael.

My advice would be to go with an open mind and embrace the differences.

As you know the atmosphere on a shorter/less expensive cruise is never the same. If you survive it is worth giving a longer cruise a go.

I have already converted my brother to the joys of Princess and hope you are next!

Happy sailingx

Thanks for the tips. I accepted the Princess offer to convert currency, grrr, but I can undo it. Can I settle up in cash dollars at the desk before leaving? I have a friendly currency guy and could get a great rate before we board.

We've ended up in an Oceanview because Balcony rooms had sold out. Not bothered as we spend sleep time only in the room, we like to party the rest of the time.

Thanks again folks.

Thanks for the tips. I accepted the Princess offer to convert currency, grrr, but I can undo it. Can I settle up in cash dollars at the desk before leaving? I have a friendly currency guy and could get a great rate before we board.

We've ended up in an Oceanview because Balcony rooms had sold out. Not bothered as we spend sleep time only in the room, we like to party the rest of the time.

Thanks again folks.

Yes, you can pay in cash the last night once you are done spending.

Just thought...plug sockets. US or UK?

US, and there should be one euro socket under the bed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll review it when we return. 2 weeks and we sail! I'm definitely a bit edgy about Princess and the dollar prices, etc. But, then again, I was edgy before we started cruising with P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums