Singapore River walking safety

boogs

While in Singapore we're staying at the Swissotel Merchant Court hotel near Clarks' Quay. Does anyone have advice on how safe it is to walk from Clark's Quay to Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Gardens by the Bay? Any other way to get to and from these places?

Thanks!

While in Singapore we're staying at the Swissotel Merchant Court hotel near Clarks' Quay. Does anyone have advice on how safe it is to walk from Clark's Quay to Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Gardens by the Bay? Any other way to get to and from these places?

Thanks!

You are fairly safe walking most places in Singapore . But why walk all that distance and battle with over and under bridges along the way . Taxis are plentiful , cheap ...and air conditioned.:)

Thanks!

Hey Boogs,

To walk from Clark Quay to Marina Bay, is totally safe. It is a lovely walk with plenty of restaurants and bars along the way as well as passing all the lovely civic buildings, pailiemant house, Raffles landing site and the Asian Arts building. You can also visit the famous symbol of Singapore, the Merlion, which gives you great views across Marina Bay to the Skypark. There is also the beautiful wrought iron Cavanagh Bridge you can cross. There would be a chance to grab some ice cream from a vendor there who must be the popular fella in Singapore. Lots of markers telling you the history of Singapore. This walk also show cases the beautiful old shop houses at Robinson Quay. Love walking around this area :D

About the hardest thing maybe, would be how hot it could be, but plenty of water, a good hat and sunscreen will be a big help. As mentioned there are always the cheap and plentiful taxis, or the super efficient MRT.

Whatever you decide to do may you have a wonderful stay in Singapore. :)

Hey Boogs,

To walk from Clark Quay to Marina Bay, is totally safe. It is a lovely walk with plenty of restaurants and bars along the way as well as passing all the lovely civic buildings, pailiemant house, Raffles landing site and the Asian Arts building. You can also visit the famous symbol of Singapore, the Merlion, which gives you great views across Marina Bay to the Skypark. There is also the beautiful wrought iron Cavanagh Bridge you can cross. There would be a chance to grab some ice cream from a vendor there who must be the popular fella in Singapore. Lots of markers telling you the history of Singapore. This walk also show cases the beautiful old shop houses at Robinson Quay. Love walking around this area :D

About the hardest thing maybe, would be how hot it could be, but plenty of water, a good hat and sunscreen will be a big help. As mentioned there are always the cheap and plentiful taxis, or the super efficient MRT.

Whatever you decide to do may you have a wonderful stay in Singapore. :)

Thank you! Looking at the satellite view on Google Maps I saw that the walk is less than two miles, so it is certainly not necessary to take a taxi. Being that all of it along the Singapore River, the route looked interesting and full of activities. Glad to learn that it will indeed be worth doing.

We'll be there in late January next year. Average temps seem to be around 85 F / 30 C.

Edited by boogs

Thank you! Looking at the satellite view on Google Maps I saw that the walk is less than two miles, so it is certainly not necessary to take a taxi. Being that all of it along the Singapore River, the route looked interesting and full of activities. Glad to learn that it will indeed be worth doing.

We'll be there in late January next year. Average temps seem to be around 85 F / 30 C.

It's also humid, so it might feel farther than two miles, especially with stops along the way. Do what the locals do and stop at an air-conditioned cafe for an iced coffee! As for safety, my experience walking around Singapore alone is that it's totally safe--watch out for traffic, however, since they drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

hello boogs,

we have been to Singapore on many occasions, either by plane or ship.

we have spent many months in Singapore all up, and I can tell you that it is one of the safest places on the planet (if not the safest) to walk around day or night in main streets (as suggested watch for traffic) or in back black allies.

the other thing you will notice about Singapore is its cleanliness,do not drop litter anywhere,as there are literally thousands of public police, and you could find yourself trying to fill a bag with litter as your punishment,very hard to do when there is none.

enjoy beautiful Singapore.

Thanks!

Singapore is safe but very hot and humid - an air conditioned taxi is the way to go 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That will be 30c with very high humidity but if you feel you can manage it, it will be a very nice walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you all for your kind comments. Since we live in California the heat will be tolerable, but the humidity will be an adventure for sure. I'll bring plenty of extra shirts. ;)

We've been to Singapore several times and have always felt safe where ever we go. Last time we stayed at the Marina Bay Sands and walked all over. There are wonderful paths along the river with outdoor cafes, lots of shops, etc. Check out some of the photos I took of our walk in Singapore: http://www.pixofwild.com/Singapore

We live in Hawai'i and are use to humidity. However, the humidity and the high heat in Singapore can be exhausting. On one walk along the river we sat down on benches that were available. There is a Metro in Singapore that is extremely easy to use and very efficient. We used it to get back to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel after one of our long walks. Here is a link that shows the routing: http://www.smrt.com.sg/Trains/NetworkMap.aspx It is also nice to have alternative plans when walking as it is common for a thunder and lightening storm to come on suddenly.

Be sure to take in the wonderful light & water show in the evening at the Marina Bay Sands. There are cement seats for viewing. It there is a sudden rain storm, there is a shopping mall connected to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel along with a food court. Hope this helps. Aloha, Judy

We've been to Singapore several times and have always felt safe where ever we go. Last time we stayed at the Marina Bay Sands and walked all over. There are wonderful paths along the river with outdoor cafes, lots of shops, etc. Check out some of the photos I took of our walk in Singapore: http://www.pixofwild.com/Singapore

We live in Hawai'i and are use to humidity. However, the humidity and the high heat in Singapore can be exhausting. On one walk along the river we sat down on benches that were available. There is a Metro in Singapore that is extremely easy to use and very efficient. We used it to get back to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel after one of our long walks. Here is a link that shows the routing: http://www.smrt.com.sg/Trains/NetworkMap.aspx It is also nice to have alternative plans when walking as it is common for a thunder and lightening storm to come on suddenly.

Be sure to take in the wonderful light & water show in the evening at the Marina Bay Sands. There are cement seats for viewing. It there is a sudden rain storm, there is a shopping mall connected to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel along with a food court. Hope this helps. Aloha, Judy

Love your Singapore photos, I noticed you visited Lau Pa Sat in Boon Tat St. This is our favourite place for Satay afer dark in Singapore.

Thanks.

Lonely Planet has just voted Singapore the best country to visit in 2015. Singapore celebrates it's 50 years of independence next year with many events planned to show case this fabulous island state.

It really is a great place to visit and no matter how many times we do, we always managed to find something new, exciting and fun to do. Hoping to get there in July/August.

Love it!! :D

Selamat datang di Singapura! (Or welcome to Singapore).

It will be a safe and pleasant stroll in the evening. Enjoy.

You may want to take a taxi on the way back, though.

Thanks for the advice. We may take the Metro back if it's too humid. The husbands are rail fans, and we all enjoy train travel and always try to get in a train ride of some type on our vacations. In fact, we'll be taking the train from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore the day before. We find anything on rails interesting. ;)

Thanks for the advice. We may take the Metro back if it's too humid. The husbands are rail fans, and we all enjoy train travel and always try to get in a train ride of some type on our vacations. In fact, we'll be taking the train from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore the day before. We find anything on rails interesting. ;)

We rode the MRT from Suntec to Marina Bay in the front carriage. Turned out to have a huge window at the front so you could see the tunnel ahead. I found it quite fascinating, yet a little disconcerting knowing I was standing where the driver would normally sit!

Love using public transport when travelling.

Boogs, my wife & I visit our son & his family in Singapore, usually about once or twice a year.

I agree with the others - why walk in the heat & humidity, either take a taxi,

or better still go to the MRT (Mass Rapid Transport) Station at Clarke Quay, your hotel staff will tell where the station is located. Then ask Ticket Office how to go about purchasing a ticket or Ezi Link Card, how top it up, how to use it, etc.

There is a MRT station at Clarke Quay, you take the purple line MRT train to Dhoby Ghaut (interchange) then walk to the "red" line (heading towards Marina Bay MRT Station. Your MRT train will then stop at the following stations, City Hall, Raffles Place, then lastly at Marina Bay Station (NS27)

If you feel uncomfortable with using the MRT, then catch a taxi, enjoy Gardens by the Bay, and the two domes.