Whale Watching from Papeete

mkcruise

We are arriving in Papeete a few days before our cruise in early October, and it appears that it would still be whale watching season for the area. I have found a couple of dive shops that seem to do small tours, but I would like to leave from the dock area where the cruise ship is parked. Any suggestions? Is it generally necessary to reserve ahead of time (it would probably be on a Thursday or Friday)? Is it better to take the ferry to Moorea and go out of there? Thanks.

I dont think you will be able to leave exactly where the ship is docked. Only the larger ships and ferries are there.

There are marinas further down the road - one opposite the Vaima centre ( from where the Cats leave) and also Marina Taina. All of these are conveniently located to the main dock but not from the main dock.

Emdee - thanks for the heads up - I was just trying to avoid something on the other side of the island or located at one of the hotels (I think there is a whale watching tour out of the IC Tahiti), and I wanted to avoid that trip if necessary just as a matter of convenience of getting to and from the ship.