Syracuse (Sicily) on our own - or with a guide?

almostnewtocruise

We'll be in Syracuse next April. Has anyone here have any experience with this port? Is it doable by ourselves or do we need a guide? How far is the port from the old city?

Any information will be highly appreciated!

miriam

I have been there...it took me a minute to remember all the things we saw. We were on a very small cruise ship that divided us up into small groups to see all the highlights regarding the ruins and the ancient history...there is sooo very much to see.We had local guides for this part. The city we did on our own and it was a great place to wander around again with all the history as well as the city now itself. I guess it depends what cruiseline you are on and how much you want to see and do,but I would say you need a guide for all the ruins.I have to be honest about the city..we berthed right there and were able to walk so I can't speak for any changes or larger ships.I am sure will enjoy the port no matter what you do.

if you don't get any responses here, try tripadvisor. There's a forum for Syracuse and Sicily.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187891-i1413-Syracuse_Province_of_Syracuse_Sicily.html

I have been there...it took me a minute to remember all the things we saw. We were on a very small cruise ship that divided us up into small groups to see all the highlights regarding the ruins and the ancient history...there is sooo very much to see.We had local guides for this part. The city we did on our own and it was a great place to wander around again with all the history as well as the city now itself. I guess it depends what cruiseline you are on and how much you want to see and do,but I would say you need a guide for all the ruins.I have to be honest about the city..we berthed right there and were able to walk so I can't speak for any changes or larger ships.I am sure will enjoy the port no matter what you do.

Thank you both for your responses.

I'll indeed ask also on the Tripadvisor forum.. There is someone local there who seems to be very patient and ready to answer all questions! :)

We too will be on a rather small ship (Azamara) - so hopefully we too will dock close to the old town. Thanks for the tips about the "ruins".. I assume that this was the Archeological Park.?

The museum is supposed to be very interesting too..

Again - thanks for the tips!

Miriam

• 4 weeks later...
We'll be in Syracuse next April. Has anyone here have any experience with this port? Is it doable by ourselves or do we need a guide? How far is the port from the old city?

Any information will be highly appreciated!

miriam

We used Sicily with Mario. I highly recommend him. Mario is very knowledgable, and personable and reasonable. Sicilywithmario.com

We used Sicily with Mario. I highly recommend him. Mario is very knowledgable, and personable and reasonable. Sicilywithmario.com

Thanks for writing..

What kind of excursion did you do with Mario in Syracuse ? From the website it seems that this is mainly a "taxi-with-a-driver enterprise", while Syracuse seems more like "walking around" venue?