Cruises to Cuba

Rotterdam

I recently found a cruise to Cuba - all GAY - for this coming winter. It leaves from Montego Bay for 7 days.....has anyone been to Cuba or had experiences w/ travel to Cuba. I'd like to get there before McDonalds and this looks like a good opportunity. Back in the early 1980's I went to China for a month & it was fantastic to see a culture pre McDonalds.

I recently found a cruise to Cuba - all GAY - for this coming winter. It leaves from Montego Bay for 7 days.....has anyone been to Cuba or had experiences w/ travel to Cuba. I'd like to get there before McDonalds and this looks like a good opportunity. Back in the early 1980's I went to China for a month & it was fantastic to see a culture pre McDonalds.

I was there several years ago and had a great experience. Cubans were genuinely friendly and I felt safe. I stayed on a resort in Varadero but I took a day trip to Havana which was so interesting and a lot of fun! It's a bit like walking around in a time capsule, their legislature looks like Capitol Hill in Washington. I would say the food was disappointing, bland mostly but adequate. I would definitely go back to Cuba.:)

I was there several years ago and had a great experience. Cubans were genuinely friendly and I felt safe. I stayed on a resort in Varadero but I took a day trip to Havana which was so interesting and a lot of fun! It's a bit like walking around in a time capsule, their legislature looks like Capitol Hill in Washington. I would say the food was disappointing, bland mostly but adequate. I would definitely go back to Cuba.:)

Also, I went to China in 2006, know exactly what you mean! love to go back there too. Hong Kong was also fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...

You are possibly referring to the Celestyl Crystal ship. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed this ship for four tours of Cuba (2013-2014) plus its repositioning from Greece in 2014. Visiting Cuba pre Starbucks was one of our objectives, for if China can be considered Back To The Future, Cuba is Forward To The Past. It is like a time machine in reliving one's youth.

Should it be the Crystal, it is a regular cruise, and not "all Gay", however we have to say you will find great service by a wonderful staff who were most positive with us, making these trips relaxing and fun. We were not aware of these Gay bookings at the time, but we return in late January for another 3 weeks. A perfect get-away from winter, aboard a fun relaxing ship, to ports of call that thankfully bear no resemblance to the other Caribbean islands.

You are possibly referring to the Celestyl Crystal ship. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed this ship for four tours of Cuba (2013-2014) plus its repositioning from Greece in 2014. Visiting Cuba pre Starbucks was one of our objectives, for if China can be considered Back To The Future, Cuba is Forward To The Past. It is like a time machine in reliving one's youth.

Should it be the Crystal, it is a regular cruise, and not "all Gay", however we have to say you will find great service by a wonderful staff who were most positive with us, making these trips relaxing and fun. We were not aware of these Gay bookings at the time, but we return in late January for another 3 weeks. A perfect get-away from winter, aboard a fun relaxing ship, to ports of call that thankfully bear no resemblance to the other Caribbean islands.

The cruise certainly looks interesting & thanks for your input....its also good to know that there are other options other than an all gay cruise - I would prefer a mixed cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently found a cruise to Cuba - all GAY - for this coming winter. It leaves from Montego Bay for 7 days......

I saw this cruise listed. That it was starting and ending in Jamaica was a big negative. I have only read terrible things about Jamaica. Such crime that you can't walk around the towns.

Also, if I remember correctly, this cruise spends precious little time in Cuba?

I would wait for a cruise that spends more time cruising Cuba. It has to happen soon ...

I saw this cruise listed. That it was starting and ending in Jamaica was a big negative. I have only read terrible things about Jamaica. Such crime that you can't walk around the towns.

Also, if I remember correctly, this cruise spends precious little time in Cuba?

I would wait for a cruise that spends more time cruising Cuba. It has to happen soon ...

I agree with you after 2 visit(once in the mid 1970's & once in the 1990's)s I swore the place off....saying that my parents Doctor is from Jamaica originally and he is the most wonderful human being.

I just thought seeing Cuba before the large corporations get in there is better for me - even if it is for a shorter period of time - If I enjoy it I could always go back.

Travel to Cuba has a premium attached, and it is not inexpensive. I won't travel there until prices reduce, which they will. Cuba eventually will offer no more appeal than Puerto Rico, which is similar historically and culturally. For now I will go with Puerto Rico.

...I just thought seeing Cuba before the large corporations get in there is better for me - even if it is for a shorter period of time - If I enjoy it I could always go back.

Embarking this cruise in Jamaica was the solution for those who did not or could not fly into Havana, the other embarkation point. But exposure to Jamaica need be no more than a trip from the airport to the docks.

As for the cruise ports of call, Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuego and an overnight in Havana, what better way to get a feel for the country, so unlike being cooped up at a resort. This is our third season as passengers aboard this cruise and still we feel we will never get to see it all. Changes are already underway and exponentially the country will never be the same. Now is the time to take it all in. The ship is your hotel, your transportation and a good part of the enjoyment of taking a winter cruise.

Embarking this cruise in Jamaica was the solution for those who did not or could not fly into Havana, the other embarkation point. But exposure to Jamaica need be no more than a trip from the airport to the docks.

As for the cruise ports of call, Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuego and an overnight in Havana, what better way to get a feel for the country, so unlike being cooped up at a resort. This is our third season as passengers aboard this cruise and still we feel we will never get to see it all. Changes are already underway and exponentially the country will never be the same. Now is the time to take it all in. The ship is your hotel, your transportation and a good part of the enjoyment of taking a winter cruise.

This morning I also read that MSC will have 2 ships in Cuba next winter(Nov 2016) w/ 2.5 days docked in Havana - I would do a back 2 back for 1 days w/ 5 days in Havana..if it is available to US citizens.

But yes now is the time to go.....