Transportation from the Int'l Airport in Rio to the Cruise Terminal (Plaza Mauá)

buppy21

We will be boarding a HAL ship in Rio de Janeirio in February 2015 and are looking for reliable transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal. We will be arriving on February 15th which is the Carnival week. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you.

You can get a regular yellow taxi in front of the terminal ( or the more expensive pre-paid taxi with booths inside as you come through the int'l area). The yellow taxi fare should be around R$40, depending on traffic.

You could also catch the shuttle bus to the domestic Santos Dumont in-town airport, from where it is a very short taxi ride to the pier.

Also, regarding regular yellow taxis vs. the more expensive pre-paid ones (sometimes erroneously referred to as radio taxis), the yellow taxis belong to a given cooperative whose contact info is painted on the back fender. Their hard-working Rio drivers are mostly family men just trying to make an honest living for their wife and kids by getting you to your destination efficiently and pleasantly, not some rogue scam artists routinely preying on tired, unwary tourists. Don't be misled by any ridiculous mumbo jumbo elsewhere about the pre-paid taxis being the only way to get "peace of mind" on arrival.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, regarding regular yellow taxis vs. the more expensive pre-paid ones (sometimes erroneously referred to as radio taxis), the yellow taxis belong to a given cooperative whose contact info is painted on the back fender. Their hard-working Rio drivers are mostly family men just trying to make an honest living for their wife and kids by getting you to your destination efficiently and pleasantly, not some rogue scam artists routinely preying on tired, unwary tourists. Don't be misled by any ridiculous mumbo jumbo elsewhere about the pre-paid taxis being the only way to get "peace of mind" on arrival.

IMHO, a bit strongly-word (e.g., blanket characterizations of the morals of the taxi drivers) I think, but, especially during the during the day I wouldn't hesitate to take a metered taxi, as long as I had Brazilian Reais (the taxis you get from in front of the terminal; the rogue taxis often lurk up the road). I have never seen anyone say that a radio taxi is "the only" way to go. Some people feel they get newer vehicles and generally feel safer with them, but that's their business (no more need to slam them than to slam taxi drivers). The main advantages are that you know your fare in advance and can pay by credit card. But you will definitely pay more than with a metered taxi.

Only problem I ever had with a taxi in Rio was one driver who refused to turn on his meter (this was not a ride from, say, the airport to downtown, for which there are flat rates), but I just got out and got another taxi. I take taxis all the time in Fortaleza. You don't need to tip (if you do, it's greatly appreciated), and drivers will often round the fare down to the nearest Real. It is best to have bills no larger than R$50 (i.e., not a R$100 bill unless you are going a very long distance). Drivers don't always have much change.

For the relatively short distance involved, and the fact that you may have several bags with you, I'd take a taxi vs. a combination of bus and taxi. Your money, so your decision, of course.

Edited by Fattony

IMHO, a bit strongly-word (e.g., blanket characterizations of the morals of the taxi drivers)........I have never seen anyone say that a radio taxi is "the only" way to go. Some people feel they get newer vehicles and generally feel safer with them, but that's their business (no more need to slam them than to slam taxi drivers).

If you "have never seen anyone" etc., you do not read what is regularly posted these days by a certain poster, whose opinion seems to be taken as gospel because he is designated a so-called "Rio expert", on a certain heavily trafficked Brazil forum site, despite not even having spent much time in Brazil. These posts regularly denigrate yellow taxis and their drivers, and using the vague term "peace of mind" as a reason to use the pre-paid ones.

Just trying to balance that much-read point of view with some first hand knowledge of the drivers I have gotten to know both socially and professionally through a friend's relative who drives for one of the coops.

Clearly, it is up to every traveler to decide what suits his/her pocketbook, travel style, and notion of "peace of mind", but no logical reason to be consistently scared of one or the other in Rio, IMO, or of taxis in Brazil in general.

Just curious what is the price difference between the prepaid taxi versus the yellow taxi.

Pre-paid runs about 40% more than regular yellow taxi.

For no particular value, IMO, except some vague, unfounded panic you might have created in your own mind about scams you will likely not encounter.

Personally I'd rather spend the difference on a nice dinner or a quality piece of unique hand craft as a souvenir.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Rio, and I do recommend you to use the pre-paid taxis. There is a kiosk just after the luggage check where you can pay. From the GIG airport to the cruise terminal in Praça Mauá, you will pay probably a maximum of 100 reais, or something like 30 US dollars for a maximum of 30 minutes ride, if the traffic is ok. Credit cards accepted. Enjoy and have fun. Don't forget to take pictures of the Sugar Loaf mountain, just a few minutes after the ship departs. Also, if you have some free time, visit the MAR (Rio Art Museum) just in front of the cruise terminal. You can also have a lunch there for razonable prices, in the terrace. It's a brand new museum in town. :-)