Have any of you ever experienced this? How did you handle it?

JimAOk1945

My wife is one of those people who loves taking pictures whenever we travel. My wife is very quiet and shy. She goes out of her way to be polite and stay out of the way of other people whether they are taking pictures or not.

On several occasions, she has experienced rude remarks from fellow cruisers while we were on shore excursions. I don't understand why people do this.

As an example, last December on an excursion in Jamaica, a man kept making rude remarks. At first we thought he was trying to be funny but it soon became apparent that he was making fun of her. We tried ignoring him but he wouldn't stop. I'm am usually a very easy going guy, but finally I had to say something.

I turned and very politely said, "I am glad my wife takes pictures. She is preserving all these fantastic places we have been to. As time goes by, memories begin to fade. We can relive the past through her pictures. She also posts her pictures on her website for others to enjoy." That put a stop to it and he kept his mouth shut.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of rude behavior? If so, how did you handle it?

Yes -- it has happened to me. Quite a few times.

DH tries to talk nicely to the people while I take a picture or two and tried to explain to them that I won't be long and it may be the only time that we will be in that area/port.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Sad but each time we vacation we come upon more and more rude people.