Have any of you ever experienced this? How did you handle it?

JimAOk1945

Good etiquette is necessary and goes a long way. As I mentioned in post #1, my wife is polite and will go out of her way to avoid blocking someone's view. She will stand to one side until others are finished looking/taking pictures and then get her shot.

She is learning a lot about people as she learns about photography. We went to the Port Aransas Sandfest to see the championship sand sculpting contest. It was very crowded with onlookers and photographers as you can well imagine.

A crowd had formed around one of the displays. We had been standing there in the heat for quite a while. My wife was patiently waiting to take her shot when a shrill woman's voice behind us asked her to get out of the way so she could get a picture.

My wife, who has the patience of a saint, turned around and very nicely smiled and through clenched teeth said "As soon as I get my shot, you can have your turn!" I was so proud of her!

Good etiquette is necessary and goes a long way. As I mentioned in post #1, my wife is polite and will go out of her way to avoid blocking someone's view. She will stand to one side until others are finished looking/taking pictures and then get her shot.

She is learning a lot about people as she learns about photography. We went to the Port Aransas Sandfest to see the championship sand sculpting contest. It was very crowded with onlookers and photographers as you can well imagine.

A crowd had formed around one of the displays. We had been standing there in the heat for quite a while. My wife was patiently waiting to take her shot when a shrill woman's voice behind us asked her to get out of the way so she could get a picture.

My wife, who has the patience of a saint, turned around and very nicely smiled and through clenched teeth said "As soon as I get my shot, you can have your turn!" I was so proud of her!

Good for her. :D Unfortunately, sometimes it takes that good old 2 x 4 upside the head to get the point across.

I am a picture taker, plain and simple. I take self portraits ALOT, pictures of random things, scenery, food, people( not in a creepy way). You never know when you might get that amazing shot. The more pictures you take the better your chances. My family makes fun of me because I am always stopping and taking pictures of myself in front of things, I actually prefer the angle I get of myself through self portraits then if someone takes one of me. Oh, where was I going with this. People are mean, ignore them. If you want to take 5000 pictures do it. I try to stick to the end of a line, or wait for people to move on, so that I am not in anyone's way. Pictures are great and they are an unchanging reminder of your experiences.

I am a picture taker, plain and simple. I take self portraits ALOT, pictures of random things, scenery, food, people( not in a creepy way). You never know when you might get that amazing shot. The more pictures you take the better your chances. My family makes fun of me because I am always stopping and taking pictures of myself in front of things, I actually prefer the angle I get of myself through self portraits then if someone takes one of me. Oh, where was I going with this. People are mean, ignore them. If you want to take 5000 pictures do it. I try to stick to the end of a line, or wait for people to move on, so that I am not in anyone's way. Pictures are great and they are an unchanging reminder of your experiences.

I like your idea of self-portraits. It's very creative. I like what you said about pictures being a unchanging reminder of your experiences. That's precisely the reason my wife devotes so much time to her hobby.

Thanks for your input!

What gets me annoyed is if I get up early to stake out a good photo location on the ship or if I figure out a good location ahead of time and then someone wanders out of breakfast or from somewhere else just as things get interesting and wants me to move so that they can get a picture. My general attitude is that they should have planned ahead as I did and I basically do not move.

They had every opportunity to pick out a good location but I was there first.

DON

absolutely I agree with this if people want good shots get up early and think ahead then don't move from the spot till you've got the shot you want , otherwise I am a avid amateur photographer female and large but have never had anyone making a negative comment about my propensity for taking heaps of photos indoors or out

I'm not sure what the issue was that caused the rude comments or what he actually said but sadly there seem to be jerks everywhere these days. The good thing about a person being blatant about it like that is that once they've identified themselves you can work out a way to ignore them.

Yes, we do look like tourists with our cameras. Remember in the 'old days' there were tons of jokes about the Japanese tourists and their cameras? With the advent of great and inexpensive cameras and cell phones, that has spread to all cultures. So what. We ARE tourists.

I take LOTS (measured in the 1000's) of photos on my trips. I try hard never to get in people's way, usually by hanging back from the group at bit. I take many of my photos after the crowds of fellow cruisers or tour group has moved ahead or towards the next gaggle site; but not so long as to slow their progress down.

There's some of my travel photos here:

My wife is one of those people who loves taking pictures whenever we travel. My wife is very quiet and shy. She goes out of her way to be polite and stay out of the way of other people whether they are taking pictures or not.

On several occasions, she has experienced rude remarks from fellow cruisers while we were on shore excursions. I don't understand why people do this.

As an example, last December on an excursion in Jamaica, a man kept making rude remarks. At first we thought he was trying to be funny but it soon became apparent that he was making fun of her. We tried ignoring him but he wouldn't stop. I'm am usually a very easy going guy, but finally I had to say something.

I turned and very politely said, "I am glad my wife takes pictures. She is preserving all these fantastic places we have been to. As time goes by, memories begin to fade. We can relive the past through her pictures. She also posts her pictures on her website for others to enjoy." That put a stop to it and he kept his mouth shut.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of rude behavior? If so, how did you handle it?

Thankfully I've never experienced that type of behavior. What type of camera/lens are you using, how do I use my camera OTOH...

Perhaps this should start with, "Why am I on this cruise/tour?" For some, a cruise is the chance to relax and get a glimpse of new places, a once-in-a-lifetime event, a part of a larger tour, or just a chance to get some great photographs while being pampered.

As the latter, I do not begrudge those who must pose in front of every sign because this just might be their "once-in-a-lifetime" and they need proof of the event. It can be annoying but I learned to avoid the sign folks and step away for a different prospective.

I must admit that watching tablets and smartphones raised high over the heads of a crowd to get that proof-of-presence picture is interesting.

A great photograph should not be like any other, so stepping away from the crowd for another prospective is my norm. It also guarantees that an unexpected extended tablet/phone will not be in my shots.

I have not faced any rude comments but a "I'm just trying to make National Geographic happy," might be a good retort.

This response is wonderful! Thanks for suggesting it.

I went on a excursion where taking pictures was the whole point of the excursion. It was in Canada, and the excursion was a photo taking excursion where the guide was a professional photographer (nice work he had). We went to about 5 different very photogenic places, and I got a lot of great pictures.

One of the places was the reversing river in Canada, but the others were waterfalls, a boat dock with lobster boats, and real nice beach, etc. It was nice to go to places that were not the touristy places.

The world is full of butt heads.

Occasionally, we will run into them. And sometimes, we will have a camera.

When the opportunity arises, I take their picture.

That reminds me of the movie Lilo and Stitch where Lilo actually took pictures of the tourists who visited Hawaii!

I'm not sure what the issue was that caused the rude comments or what he actually said but sadly there seem to be jerks everywhere these days. The good thing about a person being blatant about it like that is that once they've identified themselves you can work out a way to ignore them.

Yes, we do look like tourists with our cameras. Remember in the 'old days' there were tons of jokes about the Japanese tourists and their cameras? With the advent of great and inexpensive cameras and cell phones, that has spread to all cultures. So what. We ARE tourists.

I take LOTS (measured in the 1000's) of photos on my trips. I try hard never to get in people's way, usually by hanging back from the group at bit. I take many of my photos after the crowds of fellow cruisers or tour group has moved ahead or towards the next gaggle site; but not so long as to slow their progress down.

There's some of my travel photos here:

Agree. :) If carrying a camera brands me as a tourist then I'm a tourist here at home too. I tend to carry my camera when we go on our morning walks - just for the practice. So I was able to catch this last week.

DSC05508_zps18281c26.jpg

I have had some of "those" comments, as well. I just figure they are envious of the amazing photos I'll have to remember my vacation while they have nothing but their t-shirt they bought at the local market. What I get frustrated with are those people with their smartphones who stick their arms up in front of my lens to get "the perfect shot" and then claim it's good enough for National Geographic! Sigh! People can be rude, but I try not to let it ruin my experience. When I'm out shooting (photos), I actually enjoy helping others find a good shot so they can make memories, too. We all just need to be considerate of those around us and hope each person can get their shot.

I really don't have any tips to offer to your wife, but I'm also a wife who LOVES to take pictures so I'm glad I've found this thread. It's just sad at the overall lack of common courtesy there is these days and the bullying nature of some people. It's just so wrong. The whole lack of common courtesy and the "me, me, me" attitudes are an every day thing where we live, whether it be in traffic, grocery shopping, parking lots, our neighborhood in general, and even church. We've also seen it on vacations. Although I have not heard anyone make comments about me taking pictures, I'm wouldn't be surprised if they have out of earshot. Like your wife, I love to document our vacations with pictures and love making photo books with the pictures I get. I am also very conscious of others and will wait for my turn or even go to a spot where no one else is. If I see someone with a camera getting a picture, I will wait until they get their picture before walking through it. I have done that on accident if I haven't seen the person taking the pictures but I will apologize. Most have been ok with it and realize it wasn't intentional as it's happened to me but also not intentional.

We took our most recent cruise in Carnival Valor to the Southern Caribbean and it was a very similar itinerary as our honeymoon in 1992 was. On that cruise I had a film camera and my DH and I had one disposable underwater camera that we shared in addition to the video camera that my DH's father let him borrow. Needless to say, since I was using a film camera I had to pick and choose the pictures I took and didn't get many. Now that I have a digital camera, I had my mind made up that I was going to take as many pictures as I could this time around and I did. Like our honeymoon, this cruise was 5 islands and I took well over 2000 pictures and fortunately never heard any nasty comments about it. On this past cruise I did not experience as much rudeness as we have in past cruises, which really surprised me. We actually met and talked to a lot of really nice people this time and it made the whole cruise so much more enjoyable, probably one of our favorites. As for picture taking, there were many others just like me taking a ton of pictures. If we'd notice a couple taking turns getting pictures of each other, we always ask if they'd like us to get a picture with both of them in it and and others have done the same for us.

I am really loving some of the tips and the suggestions of good comebacks that others have shared and will have to remember those just in case. As a wife, I want to hand it to you for speaking up and defending your wife to that rude person. Unfortunately, my DH likes to let things "roll off his back" and refuses to cause a scene or draw any kind of attention to himself, even if it's defending his wife.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I don't know if it's because I'm young or what, but if I were to come across such irritating people like that (thankfully I haven't), I'd get really sassy. LOL and because I've grown up with an older brother that likes to throw insults at me left and right, I've developped a pretty good knack for arguing :D. Believe you me, I do not take nicely to people who go out of their way to say such rude things to perfectly nice people such as your wife! Who from what I can see, probably has more patience than a good chunk of our Earth's population. :p

I'm also the type who carries their camera ALL over the place on cruises. I kind of go into my own little world and stop hearing what other people are saying too.

You and I would do very well sharing the good spots. I do the same thing. I'm female and 5 ft 3 in (or vertically challenged as my sons say) so I need to be in the front. But more than once I've had to sort of plant my feet and shove back a bit because someone got pushy.

I feel you, girl :D :D. I'm even worse off, I'm 5 ft 1.5 in tall but I'm a fiesty one haha. I tend to be the type who stands me ground when people try to push me over, so I rarely encounter problems like that. See, I have different tactics regarding getting good photo spots. If I showed up first, I am simply not moving until I am done. You can try to move me, but it'd be a lot quicker for you if you just waited :D. If the whole areas blocked off by people (who are at least 20+ years older than me) => I'm short => I can't see squat, I transform into a super polite little girl that you can't say no to (: .

Bottom line is, one must always (no matter the circumstances) stand up for themselves and if you can do it politely, all the better. But unfortunately, one can only have so much patience, and I for one only have patience for nice old people, children and the genuinely stupid :).

• 2 months later...
I get comments about how I must be trying to compensate for something given the size of my lens. :rolleyes:

Repeat after me, several times so you can be ready for the next encounter: "I'm not compensating, I'm complementing."

• 2 months later...