Port or Starboard leaving New York

scarlet o'hara

Hi We are thinking of an eastbound TA on QM2 next summer. We did westbound in 2004 when the terminal was on the Hudson and made sure we had the Statue of Liberty visible from our balcony. Is there any advice about port/starboard for sailaway now. Thanks
Hi,

Starboard side to see the statue from your balcony and to be on the "sunny side" of the ship eastbound.

However, you can easily see the statue from the promenade deck (and many other parts of the ship) prior to departure. You'll have plenty of time to see her and take photos. You don't get really close when leaving from Redhook, Brooklyn.

These should give you an idea of the view of the statue from Deck 7 while at Redhook:

QM2 From Redhook, Brooklyn

QM2 Statue of Liberty

Far, far better than staying on your balcony during sailaway, in my opinion, is to either enjoy the sailaway party on Deck 8 at the Terrace Bar and Pool, and/or on Deck 13 for sailing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which would be my personal preference, it is unmissable in my opinion. Seeing the funnel gliding under the bridge with only a few feet to spare is something many never forget. Near the end of this set there is a sequence of photos showing an arrival (pre-dawn) and the funnel going under the bridge:

(Sorry that the photos don't show a departure in daylight).

I hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

The Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side as you leave the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Otherwise, the best view is straight up as you pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Be sure to yell "Duck!"; here is Captain Oprey's take on that view (about 1:20 from start of video).