British Isles tours/trips for scooter

joycefnp

I am trying to book a British Isles cruise with my mom, who walks with a cane, but can't go long distances. The cruise will either be on Celebrity Silhouette or the Royal Princess. I know how to rent a scooter, but I need help with private tour planning. The cruises go to Ireland, Scotland, England and Le Havre. It looks as if the accessible tours on the boat just stick you on a bus and drive around. I'm seriously not doing that. So has anyone used any private drivers or tours that will take the scooter with? I understand that not everywhere will allow her to drive her scooter in and that's fine. But for hills, long distances etc it will make all the difference. She REALLY wants to see Normandy!

Thanks in advance

Both the UK and France are reasonably disabled friendly, but without knowing exactly where you are going and what you want to see, then a bit difficult to advise you. In Le Havre I would hire a car to visit the D Day beaches, but there is a lot of info on the France thread. You might like to read Tripadvisor too as there is plenty of information on the various forums. Public transport is also accessible.

In Liverpool the area that you would want to visit around the Albert Dock is all on the flat and disabled friendly, as are the museums. You won't be able to go into The Cavern (The Beatles) as it is down a lot of steps. I was in Liverpool last year with a mobility scooter and had no problem at all.

The Waterford Crystal factory is accessible as far as I can remember, but it is a while since I was last there

The other laces I can't help you with as I haven't been there, but I am sure Dublin is accessible. You could put your questions on thr Ireland Forum on Tripadvisor.

Liverpool problematic? The only issue I can imagine is that someone might steal the wheels off the scooter. (Frequent 1980s, wholly inaccurate characterization of Scouse society).

LeHavre is quite a trip from the D Day beaches and war graves. There's Honfleur nearby which is a pleasant little spot. Le Havre itself is a temple of square concrete architecture barely worth a visit, but the shuttle bus from the port has a wheelchair ramp and it's flat when you get there. There's a noddy train you can travel on and my chair went in the rear. Even then, I was back on the ship within 2 hours - the place is that grim.

If your mother can walk short distances with a stick why not just take a normal tour? So long as she can climb a couple of steps on to a coach the scooter can go underneath in the luggage compartment and the driver will be happy to get it out at every stop. A disabled seat at the front will be reserved for her.

We are doing this trip August 8th on Celebrity. It will be my husband and myself and my 3 boys (18,18 & 22) and my mom. My mom uses a cane and a scooter on the ship. At times my boys who all have a genetic metabolic disease also need wheelchairs

For my mom we use a folding wheelchair on excursions and she takes her cane. Also we only do private excursions. I work with private tour guides to customize trips for us an ensure that she has access to elevators and to get as close as possible to destinations.

We managed to do the Baltics in 2013. It takes a lot of planning but can be done. But I suggest a wheelchair for excursions. I am in the process of researching and contacting guides now. Will let you know what I find. And if you end up on same cruise as us you are more than welcome to join us on our private tours.

I know my mom could not do large bus tours

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are doing this trip August 8th on Celebrity. It will be my husband and myself and my 3 boys (18,18 & 22) and my mom. My mom uses a cane and a scooter on the ship. At times my boys who all have a genetic metabolic disease also need wheelchairs

For my mom we use a folding wheelchair on excursions and she takes her cane. Also we only do private excursions. I work with private tour guides to customize trips for us an ensure that she has access to elevators and to get as close as possible to destinations.

We managed to do the Baltics in 2013. It takes a lot of planning but can be done. But I suggest a wheelchair for excursions. I am in the process of researching and contacting guides now. Will let you know what I find. And if you end up on same cruise as us you are more than welcome to join us on our private tours.

I know my mom could not do large bus tours

Sharon

Thanks

I had planned to rent a folding wheelchair also. I would welcome any tour info you fine. The private tours are rather expensive. To book one daily would be prohibitive

Joyce

I have been given the impression that her scooter can't go on the regular tour bus. Will d/w celebrity

Can't go on a bus, but goes in the luggage compartment underneath and the user just climbs a couple of steps (with help if necessary) and gets a front seat. Ditto for wheelchairs if the user can handle the access to the bus. We've seen a middle aged couple physically carry an octogenarian parent onto a bus, but to my mind this is going above and beyond the call of duty.

Almost invariably, if there is a shuttle bus laid on from port into town at least one of them has a ramp - scooters / wheelchairs park in the usual place.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Since we are 6 alone in our party the cost of private tours go down. Also with medical issues and the like the cost for us is worth it because of needs to maybe make quick stops or changes. Also I have found private tours to be less expensive in most places

Sharon

I have been given the impression that her scooter can't go on the regular tour bus. Will d/w celebrity

I did not do GB yet, but on other cruises where cruise line seemed uncertain about my scooter, which folds up, I called the tour company the ship used and asked them if they could take me and my scooter. Some would only if my husband loaded scooter but most were fine.

You could describe the scooter you would rent, send an email to tours that interest you.

We did mainly bus tours with stops. Only a garden tour (in roatan?) turned out to be long walk.

I only use my folding scooter. I would be interesting in learning how hard it is to travel with a larger scooter able to go outdoors well.

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to book a British Isles cruise with my mom, who walks with a cane, but can't go long distances. The cruise will either be on Celebrity Silhouette or the Royal Princess. I know how to rent a scooter, but I need help with private tour planning. The cruises go to Ireland, Scotland, England and Le Havre. It looks as if the accessible tours on the boat just stick you on a bus and drive around. I'm seriously not doing that. So has anyone used any private drivers or tours that will take the scooter with? I understand that not everywhere will allow her to drive her scooter in and that's fine. But for hills, long distances etc it will make all the difference. She REALLY wants to see Normandy!

Thanks in advance

We will be on the Roayal on May 21 sailing. My DH uses a mobility scooter that we bring from home. It folds so that it will fit into the trunk of a car. Tour planning is not difficult. Read the forum to see which tour companies people are using and then email to ask about the scooter.

Yoletta