Taxi Rate Advice

ltzol

I made a reservation for kayaks from Caribbean Paddling for our day in St. Martin. My husband is a little worried about driving when we are on the island, so I got a quote from the taxi driver that the proprietor of Caribbean paddling recommended.

Her quote was $30 round trip. There are four of us (2 adults 2 children) so the total price will be $120. Does that seem about right? I understand that the driver need to make it worth her while, but I don't want to get gouged!

If anyone has experience with taxi rates to and from the ferry to Pinel (which is where the kayaks are located, please let me know.

I have checked out the taxi rate sheets, and my quote seems high according to those, but I don't want to be left stranded...

Thank you in advance.

Laura

I made a reservation for kayaks from Caribbean Paddling for our day in St. Martin. My husband is a little worried about driving when we are on the island, so I got a quote from the taxi driver that the proprietor of Caribbean paddling recommended.

Her quote was $30 round trip. There are four of us (2 adults 2 children) so the total price will be $120. Does that seem about right? I understand that the driver need to make it worth her while, but I don't want to get gouged!

If anyone has experience with taxi rates to and from the ferry to Pinel (which is where the kayaks are located, please let me know.

I have checked out the taxi rate sheets, and my quote seems high according to those, but I don't want to be left stranded...

Just FYI. We have rented jeeps on st Maarten twice before and will again next month. Very easy to get around and would cost about what you list for price including gas...and if u wanted to rent a small car would be about half that price.

At the dock there are "shared ride vans". I'm not sure if they go to where u need, but if they do it would be much cheaper than price u list.

Someone posted a picture of the rate sheets for the vans on cc board someplace, but I'm not sure where it is. (I would guess if u are going to somewhere "touristy" the vans would go there.)

Absolutely just rent a car. Very easy to do - painless. Roadele rental is who we have used on several occasions. If you're not up to that, let me ask, are you sure that was per person? Most fares are for two people and then a nominal per person charge after that.

• 2 months later...

Thank you in advance.

Laura

Hi Laura! We are looking to rent stand up paddleboards from that same company in St. Martin in May, but they quote us $60.00 RT for the 2 of us! Who did you talk to that quoted you $30.00 pp? Thank you!

Thank you in advance.

Laura

I would not rely on a taxi to pick me up at the cul de sac so I would either suggest renting a car or take the offer. Let's say a car costs $70 plus $10 for gas that's $80. So for $40 extra or $10 per person you will have piece of mind and be able to relax on vacation.:). From the taxi chart it looks like it ld cost $90 round trip unless there is a discount for children of your childrens ages. So that is about $10 more than a car would cost and $30 less than the GUARENTEED ride would cost.

Edited by Karysa