Advice for disembarkation day on June 11th holiday

happytrailsandsails

We will be disembarking from POA next June 11th, which I have learned is a very significant holiday in Hawaii (King Kamehameha Day, I believe). We were originally planning to rent a car and tour the North Shore on that day.

My question now is whether this is advisable on that day or if we would have a better day involving ourselves in the festivities in a particular location. How would the traffic and crowds be in various places on that day? We have a flight departing Honolulu at 7:30 p.m. Any local advice would be greatly appreciated.

Generally when falling on a weekday there isn't a big affect with parades & most other events planned on a weekend.

As you can view in this image most of the closures are state, county & city agencies including schools but most other places are open. This is from 2011 however it is rather standard when it falls on a weekday. I've never noticed a big affect here on Maui although it may be worse at Oahu beaches.

http://media.staradvertiser.com/images/20110609_kamdayclosures.jpg

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/King_Kamehameha_day_Open_and_closed.html?id=123578129

http://khon2.com/2015/06/10/kamehameha-day-events-parades-whats-openclosed/

Edited by Astro Flyer

The King Kamehameha Day Parade is a floral parade and is a real spectacle. Bring your camera!! Everything is decorated with flowers....cars, horses, etc. it is my favorite parade ever. The parade will go through Honolulu and Waikiki. You could spend a fun day in Waikiki enjoying the parade and the other festivities.

The King Kamehameha Day Parade is a floral parade and is a real spectacle. Bring your camera!! Everything is decorated with flowers....cars, horses, etc. it is my favorite parade ever. The parade will go through Honolulu and Waikiki. You could spend a fun day in Waikiki enjoying the parade and the other festivities.

Thanks, kapoho2! That sounds like a very special opportunity. Maybe we'll just reserve a hotel room somewhere along the parade route for that day and relax and enjoy the festivities instead of renting a car. It looks like the Polynesian Plaza might be along the route and seems pretty reasonably priced. If you have a better suggestion I would love to hear it.