Using US travel agent

gojocruise

Hi,

I know that a few people use US travel agents to book their cruises and want to ask about the process and how best to find a reputable agent.

I want to book a RCCL cruise for next July, I have been looked on the UK site but was hoping that as my brother lives in Florida I could possibly use a US agent giving my brothers address as my own, if needed.

Any tips welcomed :)

Cheers, Jo

Hi Jo,

Yes, it's frequently done. Not as frequent as it used to be because sterling is now much stronger against the dollar, and because some cruise lines have introduced this "North American residency" thing.

I found one on the 'net, and they phoned me back. Very helpful, very efficient, but sorry can't name them as its against CC rules.

They, and I suspect most others, are happy to circumvent the residency rule. Do be up-front with the agency.

Things to consider:

It's usually not possible to look on cruise lines' US websites from a computer in the UK, you're automatically directed to the UK site. Although much is the same, your brother might be doing a lot of copying & pasting.

Your money is not safeguarded by ABTA etc so it's important you only pay by credit card, to gain that protection. US agencies don't usually charge a credit card fee.

You will be agreeing to a price in dollars, so you are at risk of currency fluctuations. Which can also of course work in your favour.

Check out add-ons such as port fees - these are included in UK prices, but not necessarily US prices.

Cancellation terms are so very much better. If you cancel before final payment date you get your deposit back.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull