What's a MUST do in Roatan

thehams

Take a taxi or get a private driver and go to West Bay. Most will drop you off at Foster's or at Bananarama. One of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There are bars and places to eat there as well and some of the best snorkeling (from the beach) you will find. It's what makes Roatan a great place to visit. See attached photos below.

964233_10151812581285312_968155721_o.jpg.5868c79b4c423c1a89f91c93614de009.jpg

964488_10151812578590312_815670763_o.jpg.5e84eaa173514cbbe7bc6c570f17d134.jpg

Take a taxi or get a private driver and go to West Bay. Most will drop you off at Foster's or at Bananarama. One of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There are bars and places to eat there as well and some of the best snorkeling (from the beach) you will find. It's what makes Roatan a great place to visit. See attached photos below.

Is the snorkeling done on your own, or can you sign up with a group that takes you?

Is the snorkeling done on your own, or can you sign up with a group that takes you?

There, I snorkel on my own. You can right from the beach there and you can also rent from there as well. If you swim out about 50 yards, the reef is out there and very nice.

If you want to go with a group that takes you out there, Bananarama is right there and they are famous for their snorkeling and scuba adventures.

Where was that 2nd picture taken? When I did a search for West Bay Beach that same place popped up in many pictures, I can tell from that little island off the coast. It is beautiful. I was set on doing Little French Key but am thinking a low key beach day is a better fit since we have an AI planned for our Cozumel stop on the same cruise. I would love a place that all we need is a taxi ride to get to and just lounge for a while then head back. Was it easy to get a taxi back? How much each way? Was that beach any kind of resort, any admission fees or prices to use lounge chairs, etc?

Where was that 2nd picture taken? When I did a search for West Bay Beach that same place popped up in many pictures, I can tell from that little island off the coast. It is beautiful. I was set on doing Little French Key but am thinking a low key beach day is a better fit since we have an AI planned for our Cozumel stop on the same cruise. I would love a place that all we need is a taxi ride to get to and just lounge for a while then head back. Was it easy to get a taxi back? How much each way? Was that beach any kind of resort, any admission fees or prices to use lounge chairs, etc?

LFK is on the south side of the island. Last week it was too windy to snorkel there (in fact at least one Carnival ship missed the port because it couldn't get in to the dock).

The beaches on the West End are on the north side of the island. The snorkeling there is exceptional. You can grab a taxi there and chill to your hearts content, or grab a ship excursion and go to Tabayana (which is just a part of the beach), that will include your chairs and food.

While a lot of people seem to like LFK, IMO it is not the place to go.

That was West Bay in front of the Infinity Bay resort. Our favorite spot and cool little bar right there. We didn't book with any resort or anything. We just did our own thing. We did hire a private driver to take us around and he knew everyone in Roatan it seemed. He dropped us off at Foster's at West Bay and we walked the beach to that spot taken in the picture. There are plenty of taxis to take and I can't remember the price but it was very cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there buses or just taxi's? There will be 4 of us on this upcoming cruise. If there are buses do they run out to the West End area?

With 4 people, I would go with Rony Tours or someone like that to have as your private driver for the day. They will take you over to the beach and around that part of the island. Good people.