Gorillapod Magnetic

hamacting

Has anyone tried using the GorillaPod Magnetic whilst cruising?

I'm guessing it would be great for a ship, since most of the ship is made of metal. But that I would need to be really careful to keep it away from hard disks and credit cards!

I use a Rigwheels mag mount for my GoPro while I'm on the ship for time lapse,,,I have to make sure to remember to remove it from my camera backpack before going through TSA because the 6 earth magnets in the base make the mount appear to be a revolver cartridge under X-Ray,,,I've been pulled to the side twice so far because I had forgotten to put it in the bin,,,,

magnetic-mount-2.jpg

Can the rigwheels be used with other cameras than GoPro?

It will work on most point and shoot cams and some of the smaller digital cams so long as there is a trip-pod mount and/or an accessory bracket available to screw onto the rigwheels mount.

Has anyone tried using the GorillaPod Magnetic whilst cruising?

I'm guessing it would be great for a ship, since most of the ship is made of metal. But that I would need to be really careful to keep it away from hard disks and credit cards!

Don't forget that any vibration in the ship, even if you don't notice it is going to be transferred to that device and then to your camera.

Don't forget that any vibration in the ship, even if you don't notice it is going to be transferred to that device and then to your camera.

Yeah, I'm guessing that long exposures aren't terribly practical. Does IS help at all?

Yeah, I'm guessing that long exposures aren't terribly practical. Does IS help at all?

IS is moderately helpful depending on the amount. The rear of the ship is usually pretty bad while under power but towards the middle, I have had some luck with a tripod of some sort.

Here's a ½s shot on the Reflection with the camera mounted on a Giottos mini-tripod (no IS):

p1553131894-5.jpg

Not exactly a long exposure but at least the camera was moving with the ship.

1s clamped to the rail on the tail:

p170186713-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

Well, now you've definitely convinced me to take some form of tripod :-)

The smaller, the better. The mag-pod looks pretty cool. I am quite happy with my little Giottos mini:

41GbB38MQjL.jpg

The central column can be removed for a low perspective shot.

Dave