ATL to CDG to Venice and return

jennywbbaseball

We are cruising next week Venice to Athens and have connecting flights at CDG. DH is in a panic about making the connection and all the confusion in that airport. The more we research the more confused we get.

Has anyone made the connection recently from Gate 2D to 2E and then reverse? Our connection time is 90 minutes - booked by the cruise line. Any tips? Any current info is much appreciated!!!

It's been a few months, but I've been through CDG a number of times.

You have it backwards. You arrive from the USA into T2E, which may be any of three separate buildings, all labeled T2E. You will have to then exit to landside, passing though immigration on your way out. You'll make your way to T2D which is an intra-Schengen terminal building. A security screening and you are on your way to VCE.

Coming back, you will reverse this going from T2D to T2E.

90 minutes should be OK as long as you do not dawdle. Remember that you have immigration and security screening in both directions.

The best advice is to study the CDG maps from both the AF website and the ADP website. Also, do a search in this forum for CDG - I have put up some detailed posts that may be useful.

If you have mobility issues, you would likely need to ride. Because of the multiple buildings, it's not the most convenient hub. Also, because the design concept of the airport has been changing from the original T2 idea, it hasn't been an efficient transition.

The best solution....research, research, research. Know what the complex "looks like" in your brain so you can process the signage and orient yourself if need be. Don't dawdle and be prepared.

It's not as bad as it was a dozen years ago (when it was truly scary). Still not the easiest place to connect but very doable.

If you have mobility issues, you would likely need to ride. Because of the multiple buildings, it's not the most convenient hub. Also, because the design concept of the airport has been changing from the original T2 idea, it hasn't been an efficient transition.

The best solution....research, research, research. Know what the complex "looks like" in your brain so you can process the signage and orient yourself if need be. Don't dawdle and be prepared.

It's not as bad as it was a dozen years ago (when it was truly scary). Still not the easiest place to connect but very doable.

Let me just emphasis what FlyerTalker wrote.

Research the route. Signage is much improved but still isn't the best.

Let me give you an example of walking versus the shuttle. A few years ago I was making a similar connection. One arm was in a sling and the arm was manipulating a crutch. Add to that I was carrying a heavy backpack (around the world trip sans checked luggage). I walked and beat other (able-bodied) passengers to the departure gate by at least ten minutes. Trust me: I wasn't running. :)

HAHAHA! OK, I get it! RESEARCH!

DH has done TONS of research, has printed maps, and I'm sure has them memorized.

Personally, I think we'll be fine, but I posted to try to put his mind at ease. We have experienced CDG (years ago connecting and last summer in and out of Paris) and all the craziness and confusion of it, which is what has him worried about this connection.

Honestly, we have a little more time on the way TO Venice. The close, late in the day, connection is on the way home - and honestly, I wouldn't mind a night in Paris! ;)

Many thanks to both of you for the info!!! Now, away we go....

Archived