Malaria Risk in Cozumel. Is it there or am I overreacting?

Husky Bait

So, I just got back from a week vacation in from Cozumel. On the last day, my friend and I went on a horse ride through the jungle and I got eaten alive by the mosquitoes. I'm not panicking quite yet, though I'd say I'm vaguely close to it as I've been doing a whole lot of research trying to find out my malaria risk and if I can be treated after exposure without any symptoms. Could anyone give me some advice?

Been eaten alive many times in Coz, Belize and Guatemala and I never had symptoms or concerns. Risk is minimal and the CDC just warns against mosquito avoidance. If you are really worried contact the CDC for a professional opinion.

Malaria isn't really a concern in Quintana Roo, or Cozumel specifically.

This is what the CDC has to say

Malaria incidence has decreased dramatically in recent decades in Mexico, and only a few cases of Plasmodium vivax are reported among US travelers each year. Major resorts are free of malaria, as is the US–Mexico border region. Malaria prophylaxis is recommended only for low-lying areas of Chihuahua, Durango, Sinaloa, and Nayarit in the west and Oaxaca, Chiapas, and Tabasco in the south.

There may be some concern about dengue though, so taking precaution against mosquitos (bug spray, long pants, etc) isn't a bad idea.