National Express Heathrow to Dover

I am booked on the Ocean Princess cruise out of Dover on June 6, 2014 and am arriving at Heathrow Terminal 3 at 11:05 AM on June 5. One question I have is whether to book the 1:20 PM bus or 2:30 bus as I am not sure how long it will take to get through immigration and customs (I am a US citizen arriving on Air Canada via Toronto).

If I book the 2:30 bus and I get to the bus terminal before the 1:20 bus leaves and there is room on that bus can I use my ticket for the 2:30 bus to ride the 1:20 bus. Also if I book the 1:20 bus and miss the bus due to my plane being late or immigration/customs taking a very long time will I wind up paying double or worse for my bus fare (will the ticket for the missed bus be no good). I am planning to buy the refundable and amendable ticket.

Also I will be staying at the Premier Inn Central (Eastern Ferry Terminal). The National Express website shows 2 different Dover locations of Town Centre and Ferry Terminal. Am I correct in assuming that the Ferry Terminal location is closer to the Premier inn?

Having been through LHR last year, and also headed to Dover; we elected to arrive 2 days early and spend time in central London. When the time came to get to Dover, we took a cab to Victoria Station, then the train direct to Dover (and a short cab ride to the pier).

If you need to get to Dover same day, and want to take the bus; reserve the 2:30 for sure. Arriving at 11AM means it will take a good 20~30 minutes to deplane (unless seated way up front), the walk & wait at customs will be another 30~45 minutes, then collect your bags, then walk to the Bus terminal... 1:30 is way too tight in my opinion. The ride to Dover is a good 2 hours, so the 2:30 bus will have you in Dover at 4:30PM approx.

Edited by p_mori7

I'm normally out of the arrivals hall within 60 minutes of touchdown, for a visitor it can take an extra 30minutes in line at immigration, then a ten minute walk to central bus station. Which means you should be there by about 12.45 - with 45 mins in-hand for the 1.30 coach.

For airports only, National Express are well-aware of delays beyond the passenger's control and if you miss the coach you've booked you can amend your ticket to a later one at the bus station, subject to a £5 admin fee.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/wherewego/airports/heathrow-airport.aspx

Just to clarify P Mori's post, the ride to Dover from Victoria coach station is about 2hrs 30. Add a further 50 minutes Heathrow to Victoria, plus connection time

The cross-channel ferry terminal is a 5 - 8 minute walk from your hotel, & only a little further from the town centre (Pencester Road).

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 5 months later...
I am booked on the Ocean Princess cruise out of Dover on June 6, 2014 and am arriving at Heathrow Terminal 3 at 11:05 AM on June 5. One question I have is whether to book the 1:20 PM bus or 2:30 bus as I am not sure how long it will take to get through immigration and customs (I am a US citizen arriving on Air Canada via Toronto).

If I book the 2:30 bus and I get to the bus terminal before the 1:20 bus leaves and there is room on that bus can I use my ticket for the 2:30 bus to ride the 1:20 bus. Also if I book the 1:20 bus and miss the bus due to my plane being late or immigration/customs taking a very long time will I wind up paying double or worse for my bus fare (will the ticket for the missed bus be no good). I am planning to buy the refundable and amendable ticket.

Also I will be staying at the Premier Inn Central (Eastern Ferry Terminal). The National Express website shows 2 different Dover locations of Town Centre and Ferry Terminal. Am I correct in assuming that the Ferry Terminal location is closer to the Premier inn?

I was planning on doing this also.

How did you make out?

Is there a direct way to get from LHR to Dover without a private hire? I am a single woman with 1 carry on and 1 suitcase.

Apart from ship's own transfer coach, the simple answer is No. :(

Heathrow is extremely well-served by public transport into London, but not elsewhere.

So whether you elect to travel by train or bus, you will have to travel into central London and out again.

The National Express bus is cheapest and simplest, because it takes you to London's Victoria coach station and you simply switch to the Dover bus there. Check out National Express price for Heathrow to Dover, and also two separate tickets Heathrow to Victoris plus Victoria to Dover - sometimes a "fun fare" deal means that two tickets are cheaper than a through ticket.

The alternative of using the tube or train from Heathrow means you.ll have to then cross central London to one of the stations that serve Dover.

Ships' transfer coaches are usually poor value, but especially for a singleton it makes a great deal of sense for this journey.

Ships' transfer coaches from Heathrow only operate on sailing day.

You could check out on your RollCall for folk to share a private transfer, though sharing with folk on different flights, and especially to different airport terminals is fraught with potential problems

JB :)

Edited by John Bull