Carnival legend to noumea oct 2014

Cool carnival legend to noumea oct 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all

We are taking our first cruise from Sydney to noumea etc on 16/10/2014.

We are kiwis.

just curious to hear from anyone who has taken this trip ( on spirit,as legend not arrived in Oz yet) any general points on weather,sea conditions in Oct etc.

Also keen to find out on beer,spirit costs in bars and the cost to buy bottle of spirits for cabin. fully realise that drink costs are high but looking through posts only seem to see American costs. Any tips would be appreciated.

getting close now and very excited.

cheers

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=10-16-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Legend

Edited by thetoad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all

We are kiwis.

just curious to hear from anyone who has taken this trip ( on spirit,as legend not arrived in Oz yet) any general points on weather,sea conditions in Oct etc.

Also keen to find out on beer,spirit costs in bars and the cost to buy bottle of spirits for cabin. fully realise that drink costs are high but looking through posts only seem to see American costs. Any tips would be appreciated.

cheers

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=10-16-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Legend

welcome to CC, we havent been on Carnival so i cant comment on the ship but if you can buy some spirits for the cabin it would have to be done thru room service and no alcohol to be brought onboard at embarkation or any ports

the weather should be good and its daylight saving in nsw so you wont have to change your watch whilst onboard.....might be best to bring a jumper/jacket just in case it get cool onboard

• 2 weeks later...

have cruised in October a number of times to the South Pacific and the weather has always been beautiful and the seas are normally very good....sometimes on the way home from Noumea the seas can get a little choppy but tends to only last a night and maybe part of the next day..we've never had any real issues cruising at this time of year.

It's 12 months since I did a similar cruise on Spirit. The sports bar had beer on tap, Tooheys New, Stella or Heineken & Carlton Draught I think - don't remember the prices. Everywhere else was packaged beer only - our staple was Fat Yak (a Matilda Bay craft beer) at $8.25 each. Cocktails were $10.50. Wine by the bottle was $40+ and quality did not match the price.

We're sailing on Celebrity Solstice next Feb and have an all inclusive drink package which will relieve some of the hop pocket pain.

Cheers

Rob

October is one of the best times of year to cruise South Pacific

Not too hot and not in storm season

The ship also rides really well

Can't comment on on board stuff as been years since been on her

Enjoy the cruise

Most ports just do your own thing

Unless you want diving or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

hi all

We are kiwis.

cheers

Just back from Carnival Legends 24 Sep cruise to Noumea and Fiji. Mixed drinks are around $9-10 dollars Aud depending on the quality of the spirit. Generally made with way too much ice, cuts down on room for the mixer and saves them cost. If you ask for a long glass, they will always ask if you want a double. Wine was on the exorbitant side. $48 for a wine I pay $10 for by the case, $8-10 a glass. Duty free shop had some bargains on spirits $23 for a 1ltr Jim Beam, buy early as by day 10 they had run out but they hold that purchase for you and deliver to your stateroom on the last day you will not be able to buy a bottle of spirits on board to take back to the cabin. If a concern investigate rum runner but may be a little late in the day for that. They also confiscate power boards from cabins which was a new one. Bit of an issue with 8 devices needing charging and only one power point. Entertainment was very high standard, food more at the other end of the scale when compared to Princess and RCL. They decor and internal finish is .......... very different, somebody likes Greek urns VERY much.

Regards

Rod

Just back from Carnival Legends 24 Sep cruise to Noumea and Fiji. Mixed drinks are around $9-10 dollars Aud depending on the quality of the spirit. Generally made with way too much ice, cuts down on room for the mixer and saves them cost. If you ask for a long glass, they will always ask if you want a double. Wine was on the exorbitant side. $48 for a wine I pay $10 for by the case, $8-10 a glass. Duty free shop had some bargains on spirits $23 for a 1ltr Jim Beam, buy early as by day 10 they had run out but they hold that purchase for you and deliver to your stateroom on the last day you will not be able to buy a bottle of spirits on board to take back to the cabin. If a concern investigate rum runner but may be a little late in the day for that. They also confiscate power boards from cabins which was a new one. Bit of an issue with 8 devices needing charging and only one power point. Entertainment was very high standard, food more at the other end of the scale when compared to Princess and RCL. They decor and internal finish is .......... very different, somebody likes Greek urns VERY much.

Regards

Rod

when we booked they said power boards are ok so long as they don't have surge protectors, are they confiscating all power boards now?

• 2 weeks later...
when we booked they said power boards are ok so long as they don't have surge protectors, are they confiscating all power boards now?

I've not been able to find a powerboard for sale anywhere that doesn't have a surge protector.. I guess you could piggyback multiple cheap double adapters..

I've not been able to find a powerboard for sale anywhere that doesn't have a surge protector.. I guess you could piggyback multiple cheap double adapters..

An electrical fire on a ship is one of the worst safety concerns imaginable.

Interestingly, while on the cruise we heard a rumour that the port fees had been increased and Carnival was not willing to pay the increase. Might not be true but it does make you wonder when the locals in Port Vila were unaware of any civil unrest, and there was no mention in any of the newspapers while we were there either.

wow where were YOU lurking pwkmpjm?

of course you're right, and that's why I did stress the word rumour, but having said that I can't help wondering how you came to suddenly pop up in a "roll-call" thread a week or more after the cruise is actually over? hmmm?