Booking Radiance of the Seas cruise - D1 v D2 cabin

I'm wanting to book a "hump" cabin on Radiance for Feb 2016 but as there are only two of us, RCC website will only let me have a D2 cabin and none of the hump D2s are available (deck 9). I really wanted to book a D1 cabin - 9582, 9584 etc which are available but only if I have three people in the cabin.

So...my question is.....if I use a TA rather than booking direct with RCC, would I be able to get the cabin I want or do they really only keep them for 3 or more people?

That is a very good question. Many people have their favourite cabins and have been quite upset. I haven't been following the discussions about it lately, but it may depend on the timing of the cruise? Peak holidays will be much harder to get them to bend the restriction I would imagine, but also this year Feb 2015 has been crazy expensive for some reason on Radiance.

I just looked at another overseas site and there is two Feb 16 Radiance cruises showing there as sold out?

I don't know what the likelihood would be of getting bumped out of it either down the track. I am also fond of the D category and the hump is a great location.

Edited by goodycruising

I am going on the Radiance in February next year travelling in a D1 hump cabin and there is only two of us. Also our friends are travelling on the same cruise in the cabin next door and there is only 2 of them. We booked through a travel agent and we told her what cabin we wanted when she was on the phone to RCI and we had no problems.

If it's blocked by RCL as you describe, a TA can't override that.

That said, it's a long way off. You could just book the d2, then wait if a d1 comes available. As long as you're okay to take the d2 if the others get sold before they're available for twins.

Thank you all for your opinions. I thought maybe someone might tell me not to be so silly & suck it up as all D cabins are the same. Glad to know there are people like me who are a little OCD about cabins. ;)

I will pop into my cruise TA next week & ask the question. Can only get told 'no', right?

The aussie board has a much friendlier vibe than some others in my opinion. :) There is nothing silly about seeing a cabin you would like and asking about it. I think if you are armed with a little info it helps when talking to the person taking your booking.

We wanted to upgrade a trip a fair way out and rang direct. First it was "that will come to over $6,000." Not likely! We explained that on their own website we could see it over $1000 less. "Let me go and see my supervisor". Yep, knowledge and asking and sounding like you are not going to be pushed over. Research before ringing every time, even with TAs. It makes sense.

The way I see it, yes, they needed to do something to make their revenue better by blocking cabins that could hold more. That makes economic sense. Could they fill every cabin to capacity? Not likely, they have many more cabins that can hold more pax than they could legally take would be my estimate. Also, lets get serious, they are supposed to block cabins that are wheelchair accessible. I know they don't police that as well as they should, and that is a much more important issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pop back in and report on my original question.

Went to our TA on Wednesday & we're booked! It was no problem getting the D1 cabin so my daughter & I are in 9076. Very happy. I even managed to persuade my mother to come with us so she is next door in 9074. All good. :)