Seattle Cruise Boom

Sequim88

News story from last evening about the remodeling of Pier 66 and NCL's operations there as well as the overall scope and impacts of the cruise business in Seattle. As reported in the story each ship brings $2.7 million into the local economy. The new Ship to Sky luggage valet program may help to increase that by freeing people to linger downtown on the way to the airport for later flights.

Cruise Boom

(note- video from KING-5 TV sometimes has trouble with Internet Explorer)

News story from last evening about the remodeling of Pier 66 and NCL's operations there as well as the overall scope and impacts of the cruise business in Seattle. As reported in the story each ship brings $2.7 million into the local economy. The new Ship to Sky luggage valet program may help to increase that by freeing people to linger downtown on the way to the airport for later flights.

Cruise Boom

I would believe it. Most of the operators out of Seattle are operating larger ships there than they used to. Holland America is sailing the Signature Class instead of Vista, and the R class instead of S Class. NCL pulled Jewel and put Bliss there, and Celebrity has a Solstice Class there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise Boom

NCL is building a new ship (Bliss) which is an Escape class ship that will homeport in Seattle, I believe. 4,000+ passengers. This will be quite an upgrade from the Jewel class ships that have been doing Seattle/Alaska for a long time now.

It will be interesting to see Bliss on Juneau Harbor Cam next year. One thing to do larger ships out of Seattle but it might make a much larger impact on the Alaska towns.

It will be interesting to see Bliss on Juneau Harbor Cam next year. One thing to do larger ships out of Seattle but it might make a much larger impact on the Alaska towns.

And possibly not in a good way. The ships might overrun the towns. As it is, DW and I try to book early (or later) in the season to avoid many of the ships.

And possibly not in a good way. The ships might overrun the towns. As it is, DW and I try to book early (or later) in the season to avoid many of the ships.

I would agree. It's already crazy in a small port like Skagway when four ships, each with 3k passengers, are docked.

I would agree. It's already crazy in a small port like Skagway when four ships, each with 3k passengers, are docked.

Many of the Caribbean ports can handle multiple megaships. I don't think that the Alaskan ports will be able to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am interested in how the Alaskan ports adjust. I am going to avoid going to Alaska on the Bliss.

Honestly I've thought about Bliss for 2019 as a curiosity sake thing. Eventually we will end up n a megaship to AK, and in figuring why not try it to see before I jump to conclusions. If I don't like it, I could always retreat back to the Jewel Class, HAL Vista class, or Oceania.