Hotel thoughts?

nowornever

We must spend a pre-cruise night in November (darned the luck!) Several look fine on trip advisor but does any one have a personal recommendation? We're 2 couples - no kids along.

I loved the view and service at the Marquis in Anse Marcel. Grand Case Beach Club is a great relaxing place with great restaurant choices. The Flamingo in the Simpson Bay area is another great location with a large selection of restaurants and clubs. I've stayed in and can recommend all of these places.

Karysa for the suggestions, they are much appreciated. We'll have to schlep luggage from the airport to the hotel & then from the hotel to the pier so we'll take that into consideration too. Maybe the hotel can arrange that for us.

Karysa for the suggestions, they are much appreciated. We'll have to schlep luggage from the airport to the hotel & then from the hotel to the pier so we'll take that into consideration too. Maybe the hotel can arrange that for us.

For me I would pick a hotel or area of the island that would give me what I was looking for. What time are you getting in to St. Maarten? What would you like to do from he time that you arrive to the time that you board the ship?

Edited by Karysa

We arrive at 2 pm after an overnight flight from Seattle via Miami. Obviously the 4 of us won't be particularly perky! We will probably be happy to take a stroll, enjoy cocktails & dinner & crash. It would be nice to go for a wake up swim & start working on the sunburns to our NW pallor. I think we can start boarding around noon or one so there is not a lot of time for anything.

You've been so helpful...thank you.

We arrive at 2 pm after an overnight flight from Seattle via Miami. Obviously the 4 of us won't be particularly perky! We will probably be happy to take a stroll, enjoy cocktails & dinner & crash. It would be nice to go for a wake up swim & start working on the sunburns to our NW pallor. I think we can start boarding around noon or one so there is not a lot of time for anything.

You've been so helpful...thank you.

I think that the Simpson Bay area would be a good choice for you. It's half way between the airport and pier. I feel safe in this area after dark and you can walk to many restaurants. The beach is not the best but it's ok( because the 2 places I am thinking of are on the pier side not the airport side of the Simpson Bay Bridge) (the actual Simpson Bay beach on the other side of the beach is fantastic) . We have a timeshare at the Flamingo that rents as a hotel as well and we have stayed at their sister property the Royal Palm which has 2 bedroom suites that might work for you for 1 night. I think the location of the Royal Palm would be my first choice for you.

I have never stayed in Philipsburg but many people have for one night. I will be honest and say that I don't go there at night, Marigot either because I personally do not feel really safe in those towns after dark. I am a little more careful than most people when it comes to these sorts of things so take it for what it's worth.

Karysa gives me an idea...

As someone who also takes the Redeye out of SFO to SXM, I appreciate not doing much, actually being able to do much, on arrival day, and just kicking back.

I'd suggest Mary's Boon, next to the airport. We stayed their last year after missing our flight, and I thought it was excellent for our one night stay. It has a funky, tropical feel to it, and is away from the hustle bustle of the main area of Simpson bay. Karakters is next door, where you can eat, drink, and some nights listen to music on the beach. The hotel is right on the beach, so you can enjoy the a swim at any time (I prefer Karakters for eats and drinks over Mary's Boon, but YMMV).

There's not much else or a commercial nature within walking distance, other than a market that sells beers for a Buck, but as you're just over-nighting here, I think it's perfect. It's not really isolated, but it is a nice "private" retreat. You just might want to board later than noon.

Edited by cruzermon

Karysa gives me an idea...

As someone who also takes the Redeye out of SFO to SXM, I appreciate not doing much, actually being able to do much, on arrival day, and just kicking back.

I'd suggest Mary's Boon, next to the airport. We stayed their last year after missing our flight, and I thought it was excellent for our one night stay. It has a funky, tropical feel to it, and is away from the hustle bustle of the main area of Simpson bay. Karakters is next door, where you can eat, drink, and some nights listen to music on the beach. The hotel is right on the beach, so you can enjoy the a swim at any time (I prefer Karakters for eats and drinks over Mary's Boon, but YMMV).

There's not much else or a commercial nature within walking distance, other than a market that sells beers for a Buck, but as you're just over-nighting here, I think it's perfect. It's not really isolated, but it is a nice "private" retreat. You just might want to board later than noon.

I have never stayed at Mary's Boon but have had a nice lunch there several years back now. We were treated very well and were given loungers post lunch and enjoyed the beach. I have however walked that beautiful beach many times and have had breakfast, lunch and drinks at http://www.karakterbeach.com/ on many occasions. I am a huge fan of Simpson Bay beach and Karakter beach bar as well. The area between Karakter/Mary's Boon on the beach and the main road is a residential area. It wouldn't be somewhere to walk in the dark if you didn't know where you were going but if you just want to hang out and relax and have a nice quiet dinner at Karakter ( not so quiet;) ) or Mary's Boon then you would be just fine there. A morning walk on Simpson Bay beach sounds good to me and like cruzermon mentioned, you might have a difficult time leaving.

Since Mary's Boon is right next to the airport runway the only issue may be potential noise from late night or early morning planes. Cruzermon, any issues with airplane noise during your stay?

Edited by Karysa

Karysa, I don't recall the jet plane noises being a concern after hours. Sure, I noticed it outside, but it wasn't obnoxious--just a call for me to watch the take-off or landing. Then again, the night we were there we were treated to some amazing thunder storms & lightning displays, a rarity here in coastal California, so maybe the thunder drowned out the engine noise, or the airport suspended flights.

Even outside during the day, the noise was bearable.

Karysa, I don't recall the jet plane noises being a concern after hours. Sure, I noticed it outside, but it wasn't obnoxious--just a call for me to watch the take-off or landing. Then again, the night we were there we were treated to some amazing thunder storms & lightning displays, a rarity here in coastal California, so maybe the thunder drowned out the engine noise, or the airport suspended flights.

Even outside during the day, the noise was bearable.

The airport noise has never troubled me during the day either but it might if I was trying to sleep so that's why I asked.