What to do while in Harwich and Weil?

It seems the most people are either on their way to or from London. we have been to ENgland several times - no desire to run into London but would like to se if there is something we can do independently. Have looked at ship options and nothing appeal - is there a town or taxis or are we going to be at the loading docks looking at the countryside? We also have no tours for Weil - so why are we there if there is nothing to see? I find that one odd. Any ideas there? Thanks in advance - all suggestions greatly appreciated

It seems the most people are either on their way to or from London. we have been to ENgland several times - no desire to run into London but would like to se if there is something we can do independently. Have looked at ship options and nothing appeal - is there a town or taxis or are we going to be at the loading docks looking at the countryside? We also have no tours for Weil - so why are we there if there is nothing to see? I find that one odd. Any ideas there? Thanks in advance - all suggestions greatly appreciated

Harwich International port, is just a commercial port ,nothing else.

Yes there is Harwich Town close by,but cannot see why you want to go there.

where are you coming from & going too & how long for?

hi just read what to do in harwich i live in the area only 7miles away there isnt much to do in the town itself but we have lots of interesting places to go within a 15 mile radiuse. Colchester is an old roman town the oldest recorded town in England it has the original roman castlein the town with tours around and into the dungens out side tou have the castle gardens the town shops are also in the area lovely town lots pf nice resturants. The small village of Eastbegholt is 10 miles from harwich which is the birth place of the artist constable and home to the famous painting of flatfordmill some of the lovliest scenery in the southeast across the fields from flatford to the beatiful village of Dedham which is another beauty spot with lots of tourist in the summer months. For shopping we have Ipswich Chelsmford Colchester Clacton which is a sea side location i hope this gives you a better idew of the area if you need more Imfomation ill tell you more from Pat at Lawford

There is a taxi rank adjacent to the cruise terminal and a public bus from the front of the rail station that I think runs about every 30 minutes into Harwich Town.

Just at the exit of the cruise terminal is a small tourist kiosk. You'll pick up a free walking tour of Harwich here, also at the tourist office at Harwich and other places.

Harwich is a surprisingly interesting place to follow on this walking tour that easly takes up a day of anyone's time. There are also boat trips and a ferry to the other side of the estuary from the pier at Harwich.

The other DIY alternative is to take the hourly train from Harwich Cruise Terminal to Colchsester. Just google 'visit colchester' for more info.

What's the best way to get to Harwich from Gatwick airport? We don't want to take the train. We are staying at the Pier for one night prior to our cruise in Sept. I've read that the Pier has wonderful food.

We are interested in the Jewel Transatlantic 2010 - so am putting information into my file. We would prefer to stay in Harwich or surrounding area the night before, then arrive fresh and ready for the cruise. Where to stay - and transportation to the cruise terminal? Any ideas?

We would prefer to stay in Harwich or surrounding area the night before, then arrive fresh and ready for the cruise. Where to stay - and transportation to the cruise terminal?
I would suggest staying in the same place that does a good lunch, which is only a short taxi trip away from the cruise terminal:-
... if someone is determined to stay put in Harwich for the day, it occurs to me that there are worse things to do than to go to the Pier for lunch.

If you have time I would recommend a visit to Flatford Mill and Cottage, Constable country.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-flatfordbridgecottage.htm

It is a beutiful part of the country.

If you fancy a harbour cruise you can organise one through

http://www.harwich.net/harbour.htm

handfordr. ' The Pier ' is a hotel (lol)

The Pier Hotel and Restuarant takes its name from the Hapenny pier in front of it on the other side of the road where the museum and tourist centre is. Its from this (Hapenny) pier that the ferry and boat trips go.

Archived