Delta and Continental Upgrades

jjgreg113

The last few times I have flown have been with USAirways and Airtran. Both times we had the option, 24 hours before boarding to upgrade to FC or business class for a minimal fee. I think it was 75 on the nonstop from Cle to LAS and around 50 for CAK to ORD. We are flying from Cle to SJU using Delta with one stop in ATL on the way down and nonstop on Continental on the way back.

Does anyone know if either Delta or Continental allows for cheap upgrades if there is availablity. I would love to get upgraded for this flight.

TIA!!!

Sometimes the upgrade choice is limited to certain tickets. Usually if your ticket was booked with the cruise line you are told that it is "not valid" even if you are willing to pay the extra.

Free upgrades are a "turkey shoot" On my last flight (I am a senior and travel solo) the steward came and offered seat in first class to a young 13 yr old girl travelling with her parents. The upgrade was only for her which I thought very strange. Her parents refused the allow this, I asked the steward if I could have it instead but was told "no". As far as I know the seat in first class remained empty.

And the problem with Continental/Delta at times is that if you're not one of their top-tier frequent flyers, then you're lowest on the totem pole for any sort of upgrade, and you're probably not going to be lucky. Plus, Continental offers free upgrade for their "elite" flyers, so the days of free/paid upgrades for non-elite members are becoming even slimmer.

Sometimes, however, I've been offered "teasers" by Delta at self-check in to upgrade to Economy Plus or First Class for an additional fee. Your mileage may vary, but in many cases, the upgrade cost isn't as cheap as one may expect. However, that's been hit-or-miss for me. I've had a flight from TPA to DEN upgraded to Economy Plus for $60 (a good deal), but Delta wanted $150 on another flight from LAX to DEN.

The other option is to check and see the difference in the fare price between your ticket and first class fare (or full-fare coach, and a bump to first class). I'm only allowed to fly economy when travelling for work, but since that consists of many last minute trips (or even one-way trips), the additional fee to upgrade to full-fare coach versus a discounted ticket is sometimes reasonable in cost (sometimes....key word! :D ).

-Steve

Just to clarify to avoid any confusion, only United offer a Economy Plus seating section on their planes. No other of the main US carriers offer such a section.

Delta is 2 class only - coach and first/business elite (depending on your route).

And the problem with Continental/Delta at times is that if you're not one of their top-tier frequent flyers, then you're lowest on the totem pole for any sort of upgrade, and you're probably not going to be lucky. Plus, Continental offers free upgrade for their "elite" flyers, so the days of free/paid upgrades for non-elite members are becoming even slimmer.

On DL, NW and CO, elite flyers receive unlimited complimentary upgrades on a space available basis. Platinum first, then gold, then silver elites. IF, and it's a big IF, there are any seats in first still remaining, they may be available for an upgrade sale at either check-in, or at the gate. Also, on CO and NW, platinum elites can upgrade a companion, which reduces the available pool of seats even more so (can't speak about DL).

Now, don't confuse this with upgrading with FF miles. That's a function of both the fare bucket of your ticket and availability of award seats for upgrade. This can be arranged at the time of ticketing, if available.

The best deal for "at the gate" upgrades comes when the flight is oversold in coach and they need to move people up front. This is the "operational upgrade" or "op-up". Often this goes to pax who volunteer for the bump, they aren't needed, but get the move up front to get all pax onboard.

For paid upgrades at the gate, AirTran probably has the best deal. Alaska also has it, but rarely is it available, as they also give free upgrades to their elites (so you only get the opportunity if there aren't any elites left to fill the F seats). For DL and NW, it's spotty at best. And for CO, well, they have the smallest F cabins of the SkyTeam bunch, so elites are often sitting in the back. So to eventually answer the OP's question, I wouldn't be counting on any kind of upgrade being offered on DL and CO.

My best advice -- concentrate all your flying on one airline, so you can get some kind of elite status. Even if your upgrade percentage is nil, the priority check-in, priority boarding and mileage bonuses are worth the effort. And if you fly so little as to have no chance of making an elite level, then stick with one airline so you don't have "orphaned" FF miles in half a dozen different programs.

Archived