Looking for a nice & safe Beach in Ochos Rios, Jamaica.. Any suggestions?

setsail1975

I've looked over the shore excursions for Ochos Rios , and only a few beach ones are listed. We've done Dunn's River Falls before, no desire to repeat. I'm just looking to find a nice, close and safe Beach option. Someone suggested Señor Frogs there, but I tried to research didn't see any great pics of the beach area.. I'm thinking Bamboo Beach day, but I don't want the food included, which I guess I can tell them that there....Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I have no idea what it is called, but there is a beach you can see/walk to from the ship. There is an admission fee so it keeps a lot of people off the beach. We took our 2.5 year old there, walking from the ship and never were bothered. There is shopping outside of the beach, but nothing on the beach itself. If you need beer/water/soda or anything else there is a small grocery store not too far away across the plaza.

It is not the nicest beach, but for simplicity sake, it was a great option. In our minds, it was that beach or stay on the ship, we're glad we went.

There is a beach within walking distance after you get out of the ship head left along the walkway. There is a small fee to get in, I think it was like 2 bucks or less. The guy renting the chairs(I think it was 10 bucks, we had two loungers) was nice and we even paid him to have two plates of jerk chicken and four drinks brought to us. There is a liquor shop, a few restaurants, and a grocery right outside. You will have to walk through many pushy vendors to get to the stores but I just kept saying No and kept walking. the vendors are outside the fenced in area so you will have no problems on the beach itself. We went to the market down the street first and then walked back to the beach area where we stayed all afternoon.

Last Decemeber I did a Resort for a Day excursion to one of the Jewel resorts, it was extremely nice.

I was extremely surprised at how much the area in and around the port had improved from some of my previous visits. The road to the resort was well maintained, and there were crews doing cleanup and gardening all along the way. I didn't see the beggars, dealers and dregs that used to be so prevalent. I think the government was serious about the new upgraded port area and has attempted some serious tourist friendly reforms.

I would love to do a resort for the day of excursion, but I didn't see one offered through Carnival. That beach by the port sounds ok though. I really would love a beautiful beach, especially being from the Northeast and the weather we just survived!! A beach is calling me..[emoji6]

Bamboo Beach is great. We were just there last month. No locals harassing you.

Oh, glad to hear... This is what we were leaning towards.. Is there an option to skip the food? I'm just a very fussy eater... I'm praying for a beautiful beach day!!

[ATTACH]346416[/ATTACH] Not at all. Here is my sons at Bamboo Beach. My youngest is laying in the water in the background. The pic doesn't show it but you could see the ships in the distance.

Thanks for showing me the pic, that really was helpful.. I think we will just go there.. Was it enough time with the excursion? They say in the description it's only 4 hours duration.

We actually didn't go through a ship excursion. We did Marvyn's Paradise Tours to Blue Hole and as part of the package they took us to Bamboo Beach for as long as we wanted to be there. We spent about 2 hours and then went on to shop before getting back on the ship.

Last Decemeber I did a Resort for a Day excursion to one of the Jewel resorts, it was extremely nice.

I was extremely surprised at how much the area in and around the port had improved from some of my previous visits. The road to the resort was well maintained, and there were crews doing cleanup and gardening all along the way. I didn't see the beggars, dealers and dregs that used to be so prevalent. I think the government was serious about the new upgraded port area and has attempted some serious tourist friendly reforms.

I'm just curious...Did you book this excursion through Carnival or someone else? I just was looking at images of the Jewel resort in Dunn's river.

We actually didn't go through a ship excursion. We did Marvyn's Paradise Tours to Blue Hole and as part of the package they took us to Bamboo Beach for as long as we wanted to be there. We spent about 2 hours and then went on to shop before getting back on the ship.

Ok thanks[emoji4]