USA Today: Africa Safari Planning/Tips/Ideas!!

TLCOhio

From this past weekend's USA Today, they have this headline: "What to expect on your first African safari" with these highlights: "Nothing prepared me fully for the actual experience. You don't need to bring a lot of anything. Take half (or less) of what is suggested. You'll be flying in small planes between camps, you need to limit the weight of your luggage to 33 pounds. Every lodge and campsite on the trip offered professionally done-the-same-day laundry, included in the price. You could get by with what you wear on the plane and two changes of clothes, period. Avoid bright colors (tsetse flies love blue). Khaki and tan are the way to go, even if they're not your colors. You expect to see all sorts of animals in the wild. That's what a safari is all about. But you'll sometimes be mere feet away from elephants, zebras, lions, hippos and other game. Do not get out of your Land Rover to get any closer. The animals won't like it. And neither will your guides."

Great, useful ideas and insights. Here are some more details from this lengthy summary: "Sleeping in tents is not what you think. They're deluxe tents, with firm mattresses, hot and cold running water, exemplary service, fine furnishings, and thoughtful touches everywhere. Nothing in my tour operator's 'Planning Information' booklet to suggest the range and quality of the cuisine we'd be enjoying. For dinner, all it says is you get a 'sit-down, three-course meal'. It was incredible how, in the middle of nowhere, the camp and lodge chefs were able to create delicious gourmet meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, expertly served along with fine South African wines. No copywriter could adequately describe how warm the East Africans I met are. I've traveled everywhere, and I've never felt so welcomed. In every camp and hotel, at the airport, in the villages we visited, they are simply the warmest, most accommodating people I've ever encountered."

This piece really gets one excited for doing some safaris during our March-April 2015 Africa adventure. This includes stops in Kenya, Zanzibar, Madagascar, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Clearly, not all camps are exactly the same. BUT, this writing gives a good and exciting preview for roughing "IT" in Africa. Check out the full story. I've copied and saved this writing to my laptop for the our trip file.

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2014/07/26/africa-kenya-tanzania-safari/13169543/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 150,895 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The author really should have stated up front that his safari is not representative of all safaris. In fact, his is a high-end luxury safari.

You'll be flying in small planes between camps, No, not all safaris move you between camps by plane; some of the luxury, expensive safaris do. Most move you on safari trucks, the same ones you travel on in the national parks.

you need to limit the weight of your luggage to 33 pounds. This is a good idea even if you will not be flying between camps. The safari trucks that move you between camps have limited space for luggage, and about 6 passengers are in each truck. If pax bring lots of big luggage, then you'll end up sitting on some of it.

Do not get out of your Land Rover to get any closer. The animals won't like it. And neither will your guides." The driver guides also will not risk their lives to retrieve hats taken by the wind or dropped cameras.