Titou Gorge with a Toddler???

NayaSantaFe

We will be in Dominica in April 2015. We are a group of 7 (including my 3 year old son.)

I am looking at the "Roseau Island Treasures" with Bumpiing Tours, but I am not sure if this is the right tour with a toddler. He is a very adventurous toddler and loves swimming, but I am not sure how difficult (or even possible) it is to swim Titou Gorge with a toddler. Also, I see there is some hiking to Trafalgar Falls involved. How hard is the hike carrying a toddler or is it a nice path he could walk on his own?

Please advice! :confused:

We will be in Dominica in April 2015. We are a group of 7 (including my 3 year old son.)

I am looking at the "Roseau Island Treasures" with Bumpiing Tours, but I am not sure if this is the right tour with a toddler. He is a very adventurous toddler and loves swimming, but I am not sure how difficult (or even possible) it is to swim Titou Gorge with a toddler. Also, I see there is some hiking to Trafalgar Falls involved. How hard is the hike carrying a toddler or is it a nice path he could walk on his own?

Please advice! :confused:

Having done this tour with Levi I would write to him and see what he says. My opinion would be no to swimming the gorge, it's really cold and there is a strong current running by the waterfall not something I would do with a toddler. they have flotation belts but I'm not sure if they are small enough for a child. The walk to Trafalgar Falls he should be able to manage , there are some steps to go down but he should be OK until you get to the observation platform. If you want to go down into the hot springs area that's another story. You'll have some rocks to scramble over and it can get quite slippery. Also don't think sitting in the hot water is all that good for a young child.

Howdy NayaSantaFe! emo22.gif

You might want to research the Family Cruises forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49.

When cruising with children, the forum is a good place for information and advice. Perhaps someone with a toddler has already done the "Roseau Island Treasures" tour with Bumpiing Tours and can help you there.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Kat emo32.gif

Having done this tour with Levi I would write to him and see what he says. My opinion would be no to swimming the gorge, it's really cold and there is a strong current running by the waterfall not something I would do with a toddler. they have flotation belts but I'm not sure if they are small enough for a child. The walk to Trafalgar Falls he should be able to manage , there are some steps to go down but he should be OK until you get to the observation platform. If you want to go down into the hot springs area that's another story. You'll have some rocks to scramble over and it can get quite slippery. Also don't think sitting in the hot water is all that good for a young child.

Thanks for your reply erniesband!

Now that you mention that the water is cold and that there is a strong current I am thinking it's not a good place for a toddler. But, I am thinking that maybe my mom (she is not a swimmer and hates cold water) can probably watch my son while the rest of the adults swim. Is there a place where they cann hang out and have fun while we do that?

Thanks for your reply erniesband!

Now that you mention that the water is cold and that there is a strong current I am thinking it's not a good place for a toddler. But, I am thinking that maybe my mom (she is not a swimmer and hates cold water) can probably watch my son while the rest of the adults swim. Is there a place where they cann hang out and have fun while we do that?

Yes, there's plenty of places to watch the goings on. They could even get their feet wet at the shallow end were everyone gets in ( unless you're crazy enough to jump in from the ledge like Captain Jack did ).

• 2 weeks later...