Tequila factory in PV

soos1

Hi,

we were thinking of trying to get to the Tequila factory on our own when we go on the Golden next month. the reason is that we would like to do that in the morning, the spend the afternoon at Mismaloya, snorkeling etc.

does any one know how far it is to get to the Tequila factory by cab, and then to Mismaloya?

Any help would be appreciated.

we were originally planning Las Caletas, but aren't keen on being a "captive audience' and not being able to see any of PV.

thanks,

Sue

Hi,

we were thinking of trying to get to the Tequila factory on our own when we go on the Golden next month. the reason is that we would like to do that in the morning, the spend the afternoon at Mismaloya, snorkeling etc.

does any one know how far it is to get to the Tequila factory by cab, and then to Mismaloya?

Any help would be appreciated.

we were originally planning Las Caletas, but aren't keen on being a "captive audience' and not being able to see any of PV.

thanks,

Sue

There really isn't a production tequila factory (distillery) anywhere near Puerto Vallarta. There are a number of "demonstration" tequila factories around vallarta for the tourist trade. Here is the web site for the tequila factory that Princess takes you to. http://www.haciendadonaengracia.com/

It is located in the hills east northeast of Ixtapa. I haven't been to this specific "factory" so I can't tell you if people can just "show up" nor can I tell how much it would cost to get there via taxi.

Mismaloya is quite a trip from that tequila factory. This link will show you a map of the greater Vallarta area. http://www.vallarta-info.com/outerlimits.html The tequila factory is located roughly in the area of the "a" in Ixtapa. Mismaloya is where it is. The beach isn't what it used to be and there really isn't any worthwhile snorkeling from any beach in Banderas Bay.

I think you might be trying to do a little too much in the short time you are in town.

Enjoy!

Hi! I have been to the Dona Engracia Hacienda & tequila place on a Celebrity tour & it was quite nice but I don't know how far it is from PV.

Earlier this month on a city bus tour we went to Mama Lucia distillery, a small family run operation which seemed to be right at Mismaloya.

~Jo~ :)

DH & I were able to take a tour of the Porfidio tequila dystillery in PV back in Sept. 05. It's a small operation that produces rather expensive tequila and is located within a 20 min. taxi drive from the pier.

We paid $5 each for the tour and tasting after the tour.

NOTE: The tour guide was apparently a caretaker for the facility which was not producing tequila at the time we were there. He spoke very little English and the different areas on the tour had written explanations of the process written in Spanish. It helps to have a working knowledge of Spanish to truly enjoy the tour.

The tasting part was truly amazing.

We have a small bottle of Porfidio on our shelf waiting for a special anniversary celebration in our future.

Dianne

Great information, Thank you!

I am thinking that since, as you say, its not really a "factory", we can pass on it, or play it by ear and see what the weather is that day...

I understand that if we go to Mismaloya, we would be able to catch a tender type boat to go snorkelling at Los Arcos?

there are 6 of us- two teen girls who want to snorkel and possibly kayak and definately go to the beach, and 4 adults who would like to see at least some of the city, since we have never been there. Trying to compromise, since its their spring break and we made them bring us along...

thanks for the link to the map, as well!

Sue

We did the tour of Porfidio through a shore excursion with Royal Caribbean a few years back...

It was a great tour...with the samplings well worth "the price of admission"...

Just a note: This is one of the more expensive Tequilas out there...starting around $60 for a 750 ml bottle of the "Silver" and $120 and up for the standard Anejo...

I don't know if they are still operating tours or not...

Check out this link:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ManufPage.aspx?nm=Porfidio+Tequila

They've had their share of run-ins with the regulators...but Mexico is not known for its regulators being on the level, if you know what I mean...

All I know is that it was danged good tequila...

If you are for the first time in Vallarta, I really recommend you to see the city. Mismaloya beach is hardly a beach anymore since '03. If you want to go snorkeling you better go to Los Muertos Beach, to the pier. Ask for Leonardo and he will take you on his panga to Los Arcos for snorkeling.

Don't forget that this is not the Carribean! Snorkeling is not that good, and is different day by day.

When are you coming to Vallarta?

BTW, there are still tequila places close to town where you can see the process..

Do you know the names of any of the tequila places by chance? we are just looking to take a peek, not to make an all day excursion, so if its in town, so much the better!

we were planning on taking a "panga" to Los Arcos, but we thought we could get a ride at Mismaloya- is that not the case?

My husband and I have snorkeled at some of the best places in the world (Tobago Cays, Bonaire, etc) so we wouldn't even bother this time, because it won't be what we are used to, but there are others who have only been once, and really want to try it again, so..........

thanks for any info!!

Sue

P.S. we will be there on March 25, and it is our first trip there, but its our daughters spring break trip so she and her friend are mostly calling the shots this time around, and they want to snorkel and kayak... and go to the beach....tried to convince them the caribbean would be better, but they HAD to go to Cabo!

Archived