Snorkling in Phuket, Thailand

rhdpp1

I will be on a Crystal cruise in January that will include a stop in Phuket Thailand. I really want to go to the Phi Phi Islands for snorkeling, however all the tours I have found will not fit the ship's timeframe in port. The ship, Symphony will be in port from 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Can anyone recommend a tour company that works around cruise itineraries or that offer less than full day tours to Phi Phi? Most of the tours I have found seem to expect tourists to be staying in hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this last year on Crystal. Just know that if the seas are not calm, snorkeling may not be the greatest and the ride may not be fun, very rough, and lots of spray. Overall, I wouldn't do it again unless I was actually staying there and could wake up in the morning, look at the weather and then decide. You are not alone as there may be several boats carrying lots of tourists vying for their day in the island sun as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

We are also on the crystal cruise during that time. Have you found anything that is suitable? We have been looking into private day cruises that are relatively cheap about $700 can for the day.

Let me know if you have found anything or would be interested in a private charter?

I did this last year on Crystal. Just know that if the seas are not calm, snorkeling may not be the greatest and the ride may not be fun, very rough, and lots of spray. Overall, I wouldn't do it again unless I was actually staying there and could wake up in the morning, look at the weather and then decide. You are not alone as there may be several boats carrying lots of tourists vying for their day in the island sun as well.

Agreed. I had the advantage of being there on a gorgeous day but not a snorkelling destination in my book...

I got lucky (maybe) and was able to sign up for the last excursion spot from the ship. My sister and two other travelling companions waited to long to sign up for the excursion. I might cancel my excursion and join them if they chose to join you on a private excursion.

I will be on a Crystal cruise in January that will include a stop in Phuket Thailand. I really want to go to the Phi Phi Islands for snorkeling, however all the tours I have found will not fit the ship's timeframe in port. The ship, Symphony will be in port from 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Can anyone recommend a tour company that works around cruise itineraries or that offer less than full day tours to Phi Phi? Most of the tours I have found seem to expect tourists to be staying in hotels.

Couple of options...Jump in a Tuk Tuk and have them take you over to Chalong Bay and hire your own speedboat to Phi Phi. It will cost you in the range of 4000 to 6000 baht to Phi Phi and return on your own boat. Otherwise, the beach (south end) Kata Beach is really nice and you can snorkel on your own there...rent a beach chair for 100 Baht. Don't jump in a tuk tuk without negotiating the rate first. Either option should be no more then 500B. Just walk to the next one if the driver starts to get silly. It's per Tuk Tuk not per person.