Snorkeling without an excursion

phenom27

You can do some snorkeling off the beach at the cruise center. Might be better on the right side of the pier versus the Margaritaville/Jacks Shack side. It's a rockier shore and you're out of sight from most cruisers. You can snorkel at Governors Beach just a short walk up the road from the cruise center. Or you can go to Bohio Resort north of downtown Cockburntown and pay a small day use fee ($10?) and snorkel from there or hire a boat from there. Or you can also drive around (jeep/scooter/golf cart) with a map and find one of the small road entrances to undeveloped beach property. But you are basically on your own in these places and ex Governors Beach and Bohio, sans facilities or other people who may assist you if you get into trouble. In short, ex excursion from shore you're at your own risk.

I've found the swimming area right off the main beach (in front of the ship) has some easy fun snorkeling. Yes, it's a little tricky getting in due to large rocks so go slow. It stays shallow for a ways and then as you get to the swimming boundary ropes, there's a drop off that goes down fairly deep - maybe 20-30 feet. Very cool environment to see lots of big and little fish - just get away from the folks kicking up sand with their feet. I saw my first bunch of live squid there too! :cool:

Edited by highflyingrealtor

• 4 weeks later...

We are headed here next April and I have been looking for things to do while in Grand Turk. It looks like the snorkeling is incredible! Looking at various threads it looks like there is good snorkeling right at the port along with a number of other things that could be fun and at great prices. I would love some more info and suggestions too!

~Rachel

I am wondering the same. Does anyone know if there are any walk off the boat and find a snorkel tour? Not sure if I want to set something up ahead of time. I think I will just prefer to wing it. But I really would like to go to "The Wall".

No you can't walk off the boat and find a snorkeling tour ad hoc from the pier. You need to book in advance. However, if you take a taxi to Bohio Dive Resort just north of downtown, you might be able to get on one of their boats. But google their website and email them in advance to be sure. Reasonably decent snorkeling from their beach as well. But they cater primarily to longer staying guests. It's first come first service for day visitors depending on how many over night guests they have.