Voyages to Antiquity questions/answers

Ontariotrekker

I thought I'd start this thread to make it easier for any pax past or future could find a discussion re this cruiseline in one place. The line currently only has one vessel, the Aegean Odyssey. It is a realtively new venture that had some teething problems but seems to be on the right course so to speak to becoming an outstanding value.

I'll be on my a B2B to Asia with them shortly and this will be my 4/5 tour with them.

If you are considering this line, read all the reviews on this blog and you will see that the earlier issues have mostly been resolved ( the dreaded smutty smokestack is still somewhat of an issue ) and that the company has stepped up to fix and adjust when they can.

No, I'm not affliated with the company nor am I a travel agent.

Shar

Ontariotrekker, We enjoyed a memorable Grand Cruise in Nov. 2011. We hope to travel again on VtoA in 2013. Are there any known trips scheculed for the fall of 2013. I have not found any listed on their website. I would appreciate any information in this regard you may be aware of. We envy you your upcoming voyage and wish you good sailing.

I think the TA's got a quick preview of the upcoming Fall/Winter 2013 cruises and the website mentioned a cruise show in FLL that would have the details. Give the home website or your TA a call and see if they can e-mail you some info. I did this once and they were able to send me a very basic outline for things.

This is tentative if it stays formatted after I hit submit

Itinerary Depart N. A. To Fly Home From

Istanbul/Safaga 25-Oct Istanbul 13-Nov Cairo

Safaga/Mumbai 4-Nov Cairo 26-Nov Delhi

Mumbai/Colombo 15-Nov Delhi 1-Dec Colombo

Colombo/Singapore (Burma) 28-Nov Colombo 16-Dec Singapore

Singapore/Bali/Bangkok 11-Dec Singapore 2-Jan Bangkok

Bangkok/Hong Kong 22-Dec Bangkok 13-Jan Hong Kong

Hong Kong/Bali 7-Jan Hong Kong 24-Jan Bali

Bali/Hong Kong 17-Jan Bali 3-Feb Hong Kong

Maybe trying to color coordinate it a litttle might be easier to figure out

Itinerary Depart N. America To Fly Home From

Istanbul/Safaga 25-Oct Istanbul 13-Nov Cairo

Safaga/Mumbai 4-Nov Cairo 26-Nov Delhi

Mumbai/Colombo 15-Nov Delhi 1-Dec Colombo

Colombo/Singapore (Burma) 28-Nov Colombo 16-Dec Singapore

Singapore/Bali/Bangkok 11-Dec Singapore 2-Jan Bangkok

Bangkok/Hong Kong 22-Dec Bangkok 13-Jan Hong Kong

Hong Kong/Bali 7-Jan Hong Kong 24-Jan Bali

Bali/Hong Kong 17-Jan Bali 3-Feb Hong Kong

Hong Kong/Bangkok 28-Jan Hong Kong 19-Feb Bangkok

Bangkok/Singapore 8-Feb Bangkok 28-Feb Singapore

Singapore/Singapore (Burma) 23-Feb Singapore 10-Mar Singapore

Singapore/Mumbai 7-Mar Singapore 28-Mar Delhi

Mumbai/Safaga 17-Mar Delhi 8-Apr Cairo

Thanks Patsesacruiser and Ontariotrekker: I think my failure to scroll down on the website was the problem. Looking to decide on another voyage soon. Also have been getting literature from Swan Hellenic and appreciate your comments on both these lines. Ultimately we will probably go with VtA as we enjoyed the two cruises so much.

Shar, I have a question for you....

I'm booked on a cruise in late April on Aegean Odyssey that finishes up in Venice. I remember you visited Venice before on a V2A cruise (at least I think it was you, talking about the great evening excursion to St. Marks?). Can you tell me if the ship docks in the same area as all the other cruise ships, or is there a separate area for the smaller ships and ferries?

I was very disoriented in Livorno because the Minerva did not dock with the "big" cruise ships but was in a different area of the port. I'm just trying to figure out if that will be the case in Venice too?

thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread...current information about V2A seems to be scattered about in several different places so hopefully this will become the main one.

My question relates to differences in cabin categories. Several reviews note serious noise and vibration problems, while at least one recent poster did not seem to think this was a problem. Any suggestions from those who have been on the Aegean Odyssey as to which decks/cabins to avoid? In particular, will there be much of a difference, in terms of noise and vibration, between "standard", "premium" and "deluxe" outside categories.

Also, does anyone have a sense of how early one needs to book to ensure a good choice of cabins? Some reviews indicated that on earlier voyages they were not sailing full. Is this still the case? For Winter 2013-14, should we think about booking as soon as the new schedule is released or wait several months to see if any deals emerge?

I have sailed on her twice now - first in cabin 525 and then in what was 549 near the elevators. The second time there was considerable noise at night. With the current renos under way, cabin numbers are going to be changed so it may be prudent to wait for all the changes to be made and then ask again.

As for booking early - I booked my b2b for December over a year ago primarliy to ensure I had a single cabin. Since then not only has the price dropped for the Grand Voyage but they are now including the airfare. In both cases, my final amount payment was dropped to reflect the discounts. I just e-mailed my TA and the changes were made no problem. Shar

I am also curious about the difference between the premium and standard inside cabins. It seems that they are both of the same size and with the same furnishing. The location is slightly different, but does it justify the price difference? Thanks, Clem

Calm Sea: We were booked into a premium inside #524 on the Belevedere Deck. We had friends in outside cabins on the Columbus Deck and their cabins were the same exact layout with the exception of a small window. We did not get to know anyone booked on the Columbus inside cabins. Our cabin was adequate, certainly not large, nor condusive to spending leisure time in. However, the itinerary, for which we booked the trip, was so intensive and interesting that there were precious few hours to spend in our room.

My husband would have preferred a window. If I had to choose between a window on the Columbus Deck and an inside on the Belevedere I would not hesitate a moment and choose the Belevedere Deck. I found the Columbus Deck to be slightly claustrophic. If however, the choice was limited to only the Bedlvedere Deck or no cruise, I would not hesitate for a moment. Hope this helps your decision making. If you have any other questions I can answer, please let me know. My advice is book it, you will love the Aegean Odyssey voyage no matter what cabin you are in.

Thanks for starting this thread...current information about V2A seems to be scattered about in several different places so hopefully this will become the main one.

My question relates to differences in cabin categories. Several reviews note serious noise and vibration problems, while at least one recent poster did not seem to think this was a problem. Any suggestions from those who have been on the Aegean Odyssey as to which decks/cabins to avoid? In particular, will there be much of a difference, in terms of noise and vibration, between "standard", "premium" and "deluxe" outside categories.

Also, does anyone have a sense of how early one needs to book to ensure a good choice of cabins? Some reviews indicated that on earlier voyages they were not sailing full. Is this still the case? For Winter 2013-14, should we think about booking as soon as the new schedule is released or wait several months to see if any deals emerge?

if there is an itinerary you are interested in I suggest you book it. They will very rarely drop the price and if they do you can take advantage of it prior to final. If its after final your agent may have a good rep with them and get you a decent upgrade if you can't get the price drop. I can tell you that they don't sail empty and if its popular it will sell out very quickly and you will be out in the cold. If its an itinerary you've been looking for just book it.

myotis: Thanks for the information. We have booked for the trip from Singapore to Cairo in room #523, which should be a mirror image of #524.. From Ontariotrekker's message, this seems to be a quieter area. And from your response, it doesn't seem to be worth considering a premium outside cabin. This will be our first trip on VtA, and we are looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked the voyage to antiquity from Citavecchia (Rome) to Cannes, the itinerary looks fabulous for May 16, 2012. This will be our second cruise we were on the second voyage way back when they first started the line. that cruise we did Citavecchia to Venice. I think they got a great product and we are really looking forward to this cruise.

I know its a long way out but I am finalising our major cruise for 2014 and looking at the Delhi to Cairo...what a fantastic itinerary...has pretty much everything I wanted plus some sea days to recover...bliss...plus they have some pretty decent incentives to book before 28th Feb.

Sue[/size] MS"]

Can someone please tell me if it is so, that there is no self service laundry on board? If this is the case, are the laundry charges reasonable?

Thank you very much.

That is correct no self service laundry but the charges were reasonable...they haven't stayed in my memory so obviously not outrageous..we took a little plastic peg thingy and rinsed our underwear and drip dry clothes in the bathroom..only sent slacks, dresses etc. to laundry. Not a formal stuffy ship at all so relaxed clothes are fine and the service was very prompt.

Sue

That is correct no self service laundry but the charges were reasonable...they haven't stayed in my memory so obviously not outrageous..we took a little plastic peg thingy and rinsed our underwear and drip dry clothes in the bathroom..only sent slacks, dresses etc. to laundry. Not a formal stuffy ship at all so relaxed clothes are fine and the service was very prompt.

Sue

Thank you. :)

Archived