World War II Museum in New Orleans

ILoveScotland

I agree with a day

My father (90 yr old WWII D-Day Vet) and I have been there a couple of times over the past few years. There is so much to see and do that you will need a whole day. They also have a lunch/dinner show (cannot recall which meal) which is worth doing.

We spent 4 hours there, (after taking the bus into town all night and we were exhausted) there is so much there, and I know that we did not "focus" on all of it.

I wish we had been more awake when we visited, I know DH could have spend two days there. There is a lunch counter(which looks just like a lunch counter in the 40's) so we had lunch and spent the afternoon there, and yes, don't miss the Tom Hanks production.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are the least bit interested in history, especially the WWII era, then it is a must see. If I recall correctly the museum recommends you plan for at least 4 hrs. I spent about 5 1/2 hrs and could have easily spent several more, unfortunately i had to pick my wife up from a business meeting at a specified time.

The Tom Hanks presentation is well worth the extra fee. They have a submarine feature (you apparently "role play" on a sunken submarine and determine at the end if you were a survivor) that I didn't go thru, but others have told me if you have to choose then the Tom Hanks show is by far the better of the two.

They have most of the usual hardware to look at but to me the interviews, displays of personal effects, diaries, etc were the real attraction. The Boeing exhibit where the warplanes are suspended amid catwalks where you can view the planes top, bottom, and sides is not to be missed.

When I was there a couple of years ago they were in the process of restoring a PT boat and were constructing an "Asian Theater" exhibit to add to the "European," "Pacific," and "Home Front" exhibits. Hopefully they are available now.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

If you are the least bit interested in history, especially the WWII era, then it is a must see. If I recall correctly the museum recommends you plan for at least 4 hrs. I spent about 5 1/2 hrs and could have easily spent several more, unfortunately i had to pick my wife up from a business meeting at a specified time.

The Tom Hanks presentation is well worth the extra fee. They have a submarine feature (you apparently "role play" on a sunken submarine and determine at the end if you were a survivor) that I didn't go thru, but others have told me if you have to choose then the Tom Hanks show is by far the better of the two.

They have most of the usual hardware to look at but to me the interviews, displays of personal effects, diaries, etc were the real attraction. The Boeing exhibit where the warplanes are suspended amid catwalks where you can view the planes top, bottom, and sides is not to be missed.

When I was there a couple of years ago they were in the process of restoring a PT boat and were constructing an "Asian Theater" exhibit to add to the "European," "Pacific," and "Home Front" exhibits. Hopefully they are available now.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Thank you so much for all of this information!

Do - plan to spend at LEAST 4 hours. So much to see and just glancing at it does not do it justice.

Do- plan to read the info and watch the videos along the way and YES there are MANY

Do- plan on going to see the Tom Hanks movie

Do- check out all the buildings

Dont- waste your money on the sub things

Dont- go drinking the night before so you are too hung over to enjoy it.