First time tour recommendation

cruiseshelisaa

How many in your group? What ages? What are you hoping to see/learn on a tour?

I generally want to hear local music, try local food, and learn some local history on a tour so I ask if the tour can provide that.

How many in your group? What ages? What are you hoping to see/learn on a tour?

I generally want to hear local music, try local food, and learn some local history on a tour so I ask if the tour can provide that.

We have 6 in our group.

We are thinking of using Sunny Liston tours.

Stanley can provide all of that for $35pp while tailoring your itinerary to your interests (if you're lucky enough to find him available that day). Or you can experience that with fellow passengers from your ship with a non-private tour like Sonny.

Both are great ways to see the island highlights. Personally we always look for the personal tour on any island when we have that option, but many prefer or just accept the cookie cutter version.

Edited by blue_water

We have 6 in our group.

We are thinking of using Sunny Liston tours.

Sunny has good reviews on the boards - basically all these guys are right out the door on the docks to pick you up and do the same tour.

We went with Godfrey twice now - I felt very safe with him all day - he is a very reserved driver and gives a good tour.

You get picked up on a pickup truck with benches fashioned on the back - they are all like this. You get your opted time (1, 2, or 3 hours) in port for shopping first - this is mostly jewellry but there is the tacky tent city with the Chinese provided "souveniers" that can be a worthwhile walk through.

They pick you up at the square just north of tent market and your tour begins - you get a really nice drive up to the top of the island to the lookout. Make sure you try a banana daiquiri - it is the best I every had. next you get more touring with photo ops and you will be dropped at either coki (a local favourite with lots of fish for snorkelers) or Magens Bay - a more "state park" feel with a very large beautiful beach, gentle waves. I have been to both - Coki is a bit more "native" (when I visited it was crowded and lots of locals so the facilities were not the cleanest - take some wetwipes/disinfectant with you if KWIM) the beach is small - but the snorkelling was amazing - there are fish at knee height - so great for kids who want to see fish and not go too deep. Magens is more "church picnic/state park" fee" with a great walking beach and is kept immaculate (with an entry fee) and didn't feel as crowded. Either offer a unique experience and I enjoyed both for different reasons.

They pick you up at the beach at the allotted time and will drop you back in town or right at the pier by the ship. Remember to tip well and take some spare cash for the beach (you will need money for chairs, umbrellas, tips, food, drink)

We have been to St Thomas a few times now and we are either going to check out St John or maybe take the hiking tour offered by the historical society of Harris Island (not for the feint of heart)

have a great visit!

Edited by pxy cda

Coki is a bit more "native" (when I visited it was crowded and lots of locals so the facilities were not the cleanest - take some wetwipes/disinfectant with you if KWIM)

Really??

Also:

"tacky tent city"= Vendor's Plaza

"Harris Island"= Hassel Island

Stanley can provide all of that for $35pp while tailoring your itinerary to your interests (if you're lucky enough to find him available that day). Or you can experience that with fellow passengers from your ship with a non-private tour like Sonny.

Both are great ways to see the island highlights. Personally we always look for the personal tour on any island when we have that option, but many prefer or just accept the cookie cutter version.

do you have a contact for Stanley?