Carnival: Heavy Duty scooter in standard room?

bunchesofun

We were just looking around on Letgo and there are GoGo's and a Victory 10 available at the moment. So I expect they come up frequently. Buying them depends on how bad Dan's knees get (and my back) but I get your point about renting versus transporting. It's a new world for us.

You'll always find scooters for sale on the secondary market as nursing homes do not allow such mobility equipment. Additionally well intentioned family members buy them and their loved one refuses to use it. If any of the Pride Mobility scooters regardless of model either on Letgo or Craigslist has grey tires rather than black those are at least 4 years old or even older so would I personally would stay away from it. If the Pride scooter have black tires they're 4 years old or newer. Specific to the Pride GoGo if it has black tires and has Pride sewn into the front of the seat back that scooter is 2 years or less in age.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You'll always find scooters for sale on the secondary market as nursing homes do not allow such mobility equipment. Additionally well intentioned family members buy them and their loved one refuses to use it. If any of the Pride Mobility scooters regardless of model either on Letgo or Craigslist has grey tires rather than black those are at least 4 years old or even older so would I personally would stay away from it. If the Pride scooter have black tires they're 4 years old or newer. Specific to the Pride GoGo if it has black tires and has Pride sewn into the front of the seat back that scooter is 2 years or less in age.

Thanks for letting us know about figuring the age by the tires. Good to know.

First of all, I have gone back over the posts and copied and pasted hints and tips to wordpad to print out for reference later. Thank you ladies!

Second, I had an idea which may, or may not work. I don't know the opening size of the "desk" area of the built in unit. But if it is more than 20" we could take off the seat, loosen the part that steers it and fold it down, remove the armrests, put it in freewheel and push it under the counter. I would think about 1/3 to 1/2 would fit in there (if it's wide enough) That would open up some space. Just a thought, won't know if it will work until we get there! But if we could manage that we could still charge it at night because the batteries would be in place.

Since it comes apart I am no longer worrying about the wheelbase. We will make it work! We are determined to not let this phase us and to have a good time!

Edited by bunchesofun

First of all, I have gone back over the posts and copied and pasted hints and tips to wordpad to print out for reference later. Thank you ladies!

Second, I had an idea which may, or may not work. I don't know the opening size of the "desk" area of the built in unit. But if it is more than 20" we could take off the seat, loosen the part that steers it and fold it down, remove the armrests, put it in freewheel and push it under the counter. I would think about 1/3 to 1/2 would fit in there (if it's wide enough) That would open up some space. Just a thought, won't know if it will work until we get there! But if we could manage that we could still charge it at night because the batteries would be in place.

Since it comes apart I am no longer worrying about the wheelbase. We will make it work! We are determined to not let this phase us and to have a good time!

The stool they provide for the desk area is about 16-18 inches wide. Just about the same as a chair seat but it has no back on it. The opening allows about an inch or so on each side of the stool so its not very wide. But I still think you could put parts under there. You also mentioned in another post about keeping the beds in twin style. If so you could park the scooter at the foot of the bed closest to the window. Smeone else would have to do this for him as they will have to climb over the bed...LOL The person who sleeps in that bed would only be able to get out of bed on one side but I think it might work and you won't have to take it apart. Did this make sense? Ultimately you will just have to experiment once in the room.but you have some scenarios to work with.

Check out this video of the French Door Pride cabin as storing under the desk as well at the foot of the bed as Boozebabe suggests really don't appear to be options but you can always try.

Edited by xxoocruiser

bunchesofun....Well dang it I just thought of something else. You may already know this but in case you don't here goes. Muster for handicapped is usually NOT with the rest of the group. They will guide you to where your HC muster station is. Thats all.

bunchesofun....Well dang it I just thought of something else. You may already know this but in case you don't here goes. Muster for handicapped is usually NOT with the rest of the group. They will guide you to where your HC muster station is. Thats all.

I mentioned muster drill to special needs and they said to check with the guest relations desk when we board. So glad we've got FTTF. Much shorter line!

Check out this video of the French Door Pride cabin as storing under the desk as well at the foot of the bed as Boozebabe suggests really don't appear to be options but you can always try.

I went to the Carnival website and did the explore ship option and looked at the 360 degree look at the room. It might work if the opening is more than 21" wide. That would leave a path around it not blocking the bed, or the bunk beds. I am "hopeful". I know that's is still months away, but I will try and remember to update this thread with the answer as I think if it works that would help a lot of people.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-pride.aspx

Also found this video of a 4K on the Spirit (sister ship of Pride) which has one good shot of the desk opening. Looks like 24" at least. Hopefully :)

I watched the video and I think that if you move the beds closer to the window you'll have enough room to park the scooter right alongside the desk area and still be able to get to the potty during the night. I think you'll still need them to get rid of the coffee table. I'm very confident it can be done without taking it apart.

I watched the video and I think that if you move the beds closer to the window you'll have enough room to park the scooter right alongside the desk area and still be able to get to the potty during the night. I think you'll still need them to get rid of the coffee table. I'm very confident it can be done without taking it apart.

Yes, prepared to ask them to remove the coffee table in addition to the one nightstand. I do have the email confirming it was possible. One way or another it WILL work. I'm confident of that.

Yes, prepared to ask them to remove the coffee table in addition to the one nightstand. I do have the email confirming it was possible. One way or another it WILL work. I'm confident of that.

Better be careful your husband might not like the idea of that "one nightstand"...............LOL

Edited by Boozebabe

I haven't read all responses to OP's questions yet, so my apologies if some of my suggestions/tips are repetitious.

I've taken my Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus Scooter on the Carnival Pride 3 times.

The overall width of the base is 21.25", and the length is about 40". It's also 3-wheeled scooter. Because it fits the parameters, the only thing DH does is remove the armrests which makes entering the cabin even easier. It took several attempts for me to steer directly into the cabin, but now I have it down pat. In early 2017 I'll take it on the Pride again, different cabin though, but I don't anticipate any problems.

We like AFT cabins, and honestly getting elevators back there is a breeze. Very rarely were there a lot of folks waiting for the elevators in the Aft area, and if there were, I just let them go and waited for the next elevator because they are kind of small. I don't mind waiting...I'm on vacation.

Anyway, DH enters cabin, guides me in. I pull straight into the cabin facing the left side of the bed. I go very close to the bottom left of the bed, and shimmy back and forth, while turning the scooter completely around and facing the cabin door. I pull in front of the sofa almost like a little parking spot, and across from the vanity. If I need to charge the battery, the outlet is near the mirror on the vanity. We push the table toward the left end of the sofa, and once off the scooter I could easily sit on half of the sofa if I wanted to. Also, there is plenty of space between the vanity and the scooter as well. No problem getting to the closets or the bathroom.

A couple suggestions...Don't know what your dining plans are, but when you board, if you do traditional dining, see the Maitre'd to show you where your table is located, and if you need to change it to make it easier for the riding the scooter into the MDR. Also, all of my Muster drills with the scooter have been done in the Alchemy Bar area. I've found that getting around the Pride with the scooter was very easy. I can walk around the cabin with my foldable cane, and I have taken along my walker twice. I use it sometimes early in the AM to take a very short stroll along the corridor just for exercise. My mobility can vary very slightly from day to day, but I could never get around the ship without my GoGo scooter. It's paid for itself ten times over. I have a hard time believing that I was adamant about never using a scooter. I'm glad I finally came to my senses (-:

Something else, whoever is going to use the scooter(s), please take some practice time with the scooter, for their own safety and the safety of others. You know how the movement can be on a moving vessel at sea, and it can be a bit dangerous if the ship is rolling, etc. Hustle back to a safe area if you see white caps forming on the ocean, because it can be tricky rocking and rolling while sitting on the scooter. (-:

Anyway, have a great cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! You have added information so don't worry about not having read all the posts. My friend is in the same situation as you in that her mobility fluctuates day to day. She has Parkinson's. She doesn't use a scooter now except for shopping, uses a cane or rollator. But I suggested it knowing the distances on the ship. I'm taking a rollator for me to keep up with my dh on his scooter! (Bad back). Glad to hear muster for us will not be on deck!

Thanks again for the new information :)

If nothing else you can take the scooter apart to fit thru the door! We take the battery off to charge it so we can keep the scooter by the door. Some of these posts make it sound scary but it will be fine! The steward can help you. They are usually more than willing to help.

If indeed the doors are smaller than they say they are then

Edited by Nanaoften

If nothing else you can take the scooter apart to fit thru the door! We take the battery off to charge it so we can keep the scooter by the door. Some of these posts make it sound scary but it will be fine! The steward can help you. They are usually more than willing to help.

If indeed the doors are smaller than they say they are then

That's how we were looking at it. Push come to shove we'll just disassemble it to take it in and out. Ok, so it takes a couple of minutes, so what? There's time.

• 1 month later...

So we just returned from the Carnival Conquest. I forgot my luggage scale which also has a tape measure so I couldn't measure door widths. But our friend rented a scooter from Care Vacations. It was the smaller of the two scooters available. He weighs 280 and it had planty of power for him. He also rode it thru the doorway much easier than my larger model. I still rode it in and out but it was a tight fit.

In Key West we took the 1 1/2 hour trolley ride all around the island ($20. per person)Both scooters fit on the trolley at the same time. That was nice.

In Cozumel we got a van that had a lift for both scooters to fit in at once.

We could not get off ship at Grand Cayman. Scooters not permitted on the tenders.

I hope this info helps you.

So we just returned from the Carnival Conquest. I forgot my luggage scale which also has a tape measure so I couldn't measure door widths. But our friend rented a scooter from Care Vacations. It was the smaller of the two scooters available. He weighs 280 and it had planty of power for him. He also rode it thru the doorway much easier than my larger model. I still rode it in and out but it was a tight fit.

In Key West we took the 1 1/2 hour trolley ride all around the island ($20. per person)Both scooters fit on the trolley at the same time. That was nice.

In Cozumel we got a van that had a lift for both scooters to fit in at once.

We could not get off ship at Grand Cayman. Scooters not permitted on the tenders.

I hope this info helps you.

Hi BoozeBabe!

We are prepared for a tight fit, and if too tight will disassemble the scooter to bring it inside. Life goes on, and it's a cruise! We are now 76 days away from departure.

• 3 weeks later...

58 days to go and re-reading all the posts in this thread. It is my intention to make a video of putting the scooter in the cabin, be it riding in, or disassembling it and parking it however we decide to do it. I looked on YouTube but no one had done such a video. So I guess we will! I thank everyone who replied to my pitiful cry for help. All your answers meant a lot to me and I appreciate it greatly.

• 2 months later...

Just back home Sunday night. A few thoughts. Friend with regular mobility scooter could make it into the room in one pass. Two people in cabin, tons of space. My dh had the Victory 10 scooter. Usually took about 5 tries to line up the tires because the tires rub the door frame on one side and the door on the other side. The scooter will go in there but barely! We had four people in the cabin and really it wasn't too bad. We'd remove the stair to the upper berth and lean it against the wall at the foot of the bed and I could manage to get around and to the bathroom without stubbing my toe on anything. Tight, but definitely doable. Scooters worked well for all of us. Thanks to everyone for their comments and tips! I hope to post a short video of dh riding the scooter out of the cabin. Never got around to making one of him driving it into the cabin though. Sorry!

Here is the video of Danny leaving the cabin on the Victory 10. Regular cabin, not handicap room.
Did need to remove the arm rests though.

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post the results. My husband uses a mobility scooter. We always get at least one modified cabin so he can get the scooter through the door. We had a second cabin on our last cruise that was a regular cabin, and the door was really narrow and it would have been a tight angle for him to even turn the scooter and come in straight-on. It is really good to read the outcome because a lot of people never come back and share how it turned out. As you know, the number of modified / accessible cabins on a ship are very few, so this helps!

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post the results. My husband uses a mobility scooter. We always get at least one modified cabin so he can get the scooter through the door. We had a second cabin on our last cruise that was a regular cabin, and the door was really narrow and it would have been a tight angle for him to even turn the scooter and come in straight-on. It is really good to read the outcome because a lot of people never come back and share how it turned out. As you know, the number of modified / accessible cabins on a ship are very few, so this helps!

When I inquired about a modified cabin, they did not have anything for four people except a suite for handicapped specifically. So we went with the french door interior which is the same size as a balcony cabin. It usually took him 3 or 4 tries to line up the wheels to back in, but eventually he'd get the job done! We had four in the cabin and really, it was not too bad. At night we put the ladder against the wall at the foot of the bed and we could walk around the scooter to the bathroom without stubbing toes or walking into the scooter. We are going to travel like this again in February if all goes according to plan. I know what you mean about never hearing the outcome of a thread. Oh the only other thing was that on half moon cay first they said no scooters, so we rented wheel chairs. Then (as they were having trouble anchoring) after a couple of hours they said no scooters AND no wheelchairs so we were not able to use the cabana we had booked. They did however give us a full refund for it.