Getting from London to Dover Cruise terminal

NYC76

Need some advice from someone who has travelled from London to Dover cruise terminal.

We are going into London 3 days ahead of our cruise and then will be heading to Dover. We are taking my 75 year old mother and want to make the trip to Dover as uneventful as I can for her.

We will be staying near Victoria Station in London.

Is taking the train form Victoria the easiest way? How far is the station in Dover from the pier?

Thanks in advance

Is taking the train form Victoria the easiest way?

You can take the train from there:

http://southeastern.go-cms.co.uk/content/doc/pdf/timetables/timetable_111.pdf

or

you take the coach from London Victoria Coach Station

http://www.nationalexpress.com

How far is the station in Dover from the pier?

From Dover Priory Street (or also from the Coach Station) it's too far to walk: 25-35 minutes. Better you take a cab for around 6 GBP

2007NCLDreamDoverStation-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamDoverStationTaxi-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the info and the very nice photos. I only know how to attach photos which is limited to 20 kb. How do you attach big ones like yours?

There is a difference between attaching pictures or embedding pictures.

Embedding means that my pictures are on other public servers like fotki, picasaweb or my private webspace.

So I am embedding external pictures to my posting.

Attaching is adding it to this posting as attachment. But jpg+pdf are limited to 100 KB.

They do not appear between the text but at the bottom of your posting.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Is it smarter to buy the train tickets ahead of time or is it ok to just purchase them at the station?

Same question for the Bus?

For the bus you are much better off reserving your seat ahead of time, especially on a busy port day. Plus it's cheaper to book them ahead of time.

Not sure about the train since we took National Express Coach from London Victoria to Dover.

For the OP....we took the first bus from London Victoria coach station to Dover port and the driver took us straight to the port since there were so many people on the bus going to the port - about ¾ of the bus. But he did tell us this is not the norm and most drivers will not do that.

I suggest you take the coach since it's so easy and you can hand off your luggage to go into the hold underneath and you don't have to carry them on and off the train yourself.

Is it smarter to buy the train tickets ahead of time or is it ok to just purchase them at the station?

Same question for the Bus?

For the train, just buy them on the day at the departure station's ticket office.

For the bus, its worth purchasing in advance, especially on cruise days to get a reserved seat and often you'll get a promotional price online. National Express have recently implemented booking fees online, but its only 0.50 GBP per booking.

The traveller above was fortunate getting dropped of at the cruise terminal. Normally you'll be dropped off at the ferry terminal or the town centre. The ferry terminal is probably the better choice to get a taxi over to the cruise terminal.

Archived