Southwest Pier Check-in?

tonyt

Can you check your luggage at the pier in Miami for Southwest on debarkation. I understand that you can do this on Delta and some others.

tonyt

Surely you jest!!! You can't even pick a seat on Southwest, you stand in line FOREVER (even with an A boarding pass) and they oversell the planes all the time. You really think they would do luggage check in?

I absolutely detest Southwest, so that is part of the attitude. But Southwest would probably NEVER do pier check-in. Not part of their business model. Sorry.

Surely you jest!!! You can't even pick a seat on Southwest, you stand in line FOREVER (even with an A boarding pass) and they oversell the planes all the time. You really think they would do luggage check in?

I absolutely detest Southwest, so that is part of the attitude. But Southwest would probably NEVER do pier check-in. Not part of their business model. Sorry.

I too, hate the standing in A, B, or the dreaded C line. But.....Southwest is one of the only airlines that make money. I guess that is part of their business model?

The only thing I really dislike is the seating....and hope they figure out that assigning seats will not cost them any more $.

I too, hate the standing in A, B, or the dreaded C line. But.....Southwest is one of the only airlines that make money. I guess that is part of their business model?

The only thing I really dislike is the seating....and hope they figure out that assigning seats will not cost them any more $.

Southwest "turns" their airplanes faster than most other airlines. Grab a seat, buckle up, and GO, GO, GO. Even though they are trying assigned seating in certain areas, I think it will blow their "turn" times, which in turn will cost money.

Unless you buy Southwest tickets the first day they are available or happen to get a "DING" fare, Southwest is now quite a bit more expensive in Midwest (Chicago and Kansas City specifically) and East Coast (NYC and Philadelphia) markets than AA.

I for one actually like the open seating on Southwest. While I don't particularly like the whole group A, B, & C ordeal (especially when it seems everyone is in gorup A anyways), being able to sit where you want is nice and somewhat egalitarian.

• 2 months later...

I understand that I can check in 24 hours before my flight. Is there still a possiblilty that I will be bumped? We are a group of 12 traveling together for a cruise out of Houston. I already think they will let my inlaws ( 80 & 82 yrs old) on first as they need assistance boarding. I just wondered if I check in 24 hours ahead, how early do I need to be at the airport? We should be there at least 2 1/2 hours before if all goes well and there is not a lot of traffic. I have traveled Southwest before, but it was with small children and we got to board first. Now they are almost all teens and it is a different story. Is it a free for all once you get to the airport? Or is it like before where you get in a line at the gate and get a number? We leave in less than 2 weeks and with the holidays it is going fast!!! Thanks for the info! Melissa

My son just flew from Orlando to BWI Friday night before Christmas on Southwest. The plane was delayed 1.5 hours and SW placed all luggage outside in the terrential rain the whole time. Everyone's luggage was SOAKED. Absolutely everything in his suitcase was ruined; clothes, gifts, shoes ets. SW could have cared less. Everyone was complaining, but they didn't care.

This seems very un-Southwest-like and probably a momentary lack of reason by a baggage handler or someone else on the Southwest team at BWI.

I'd contact Southwest corporate HQ in Dallas about some type of make-good for this momentary lack of reasoning & common sense.

I am sorry to hear about your luggage. Maybe I should line my suitcase with a plastic bag? I have to say I have always had good luck with them, or I would not have booked with them again. I just wondered about the 24 hour before check in thing. I will not be able to check in until a few hours after the check in opens up since I have a DR appt. I hope this all goes without a hassle since my inlaws are traveling with us. Am I able to bring a wheelchair and check it at the gate? FIL has mobility problems and needs assistance throughout the cruise so we are bringing our own companion chair. Thanks for the answers....Melissa

melissa,

Yes, you can bring your own wheelchair all the way to the gate.. and to the plane. It will be gate checked and then brought back up to the plane upon arrival at your destination. And of course he will pre-board.

Have a great trip!

H20tstr,

I agree w/ JJPNYC, definately contact SWA customer service.

I for one actually like the open seating on Southwest. While I don't particularly like the whole group A, B, & C ordeal (especially when it seems everyone is in gorup A anyways), being able to sit where you want is nice and somewhat egalitarian.

I like Southwest as well, in fact I enjoy the open seating.

Fly them whenever I am flying to a city that they serve.

NVR2LTE,

Thank you for the reply regarding this. This trip was a gift from us to my inlaws for their 60th wedding anniversary and we want everything to go well. We figured that even if we run into trouble using the cheaper airlines, at least we would be with them to work out any difficulty. I am sure it will all be fine. Thanks again...Melissa

Archived