Medicines

Boobaby

We are going to the Inside Passage next month and one of our stops is Victoria, BC. Do we need to keep our medicine in the original bottles or can we use our little weekly/daily plastic cases?

the prescription and then we take our meds in whatever container we use.Never had problems anywhere except Africa.

In addition, I strongly suggest that you carry it instead of packing it (especially if it is something vital). If that is not practical, at least carry 1-2 days worth in case your luggage is delayed.

Come on folks, how difficult to put the ORIGINAL container in the your bags? They weigh about 1/10 of an ounce. Even if you use those daily things, keep the original containers. In reality, they NEVER bother you, but why take a chance when it is so easy to take the original. Besides, if you do get sick, the Dr. will want to know EXACTLY what you are taking.

As to taking a few days supply in the carry on. TAKE ALL YOUR MEDS IN THE CARRY ON. Again, what do they weigh? Travel with the assumption your bags will get lost and be happy when they show, which they do MILLIONS of times each day.

garycarla,

Would be great to carry the original containers but obviously you must not take many meds. My husband takes quite a few everyday and gets couple months supply at a time. These may not weigh alot individually but together can be heavy and quite bulky since the bottles are large. Then add in all the vitamins we both take and you would need a small carryone just for these. Sometimes carrying all the meds not the best idea. Remember they could all be misplaced.....then what. I agree they should be carried with you at all times. We seperate them so both of us have part and always take extra just in case. Also keeping a list of meds and dosage amounts would help in case you had to see a doctor while away.

Di

Your average meds are not the ones that they are concerned about. The ones that they want in the original containers are the ones that have restricted drugs in them such as codine. If it is a drug you can become addicted to and therefore be sold on the blackmarket, those are the ones you need in the original containers. If you just take Pravacol for high cholesterol or Prilosec for aicd reflux don't sweat it. Get the idea?

Dear Friends - my husband takes 15 types of meds, plus syringes, swabs, meter, etc. We keep them in our paws at all times, in their original containers. Since he keeps them in a specific order of taking, he stores the prescription (original) drugs in a small plastic crate, then seals it with saran wrap. This fits great in our duffel carry on. Also he carries a letter from his doctor stating his medical conditions and that he does have wire in his chest - should he set off the alarms.:D The "inspectors" can quickly see everything in the case through the plastic wrap and we have not had any problems on cruises or flights. Since he is an open heart surgery patient (4 by-passes) + a stint+ diabetic, we are sooooooooo thankful we can still cruise - sooooooooooo thankful. Best wishes to you all. gg

This is what I do about our meds:

I type up name and dosage and times of each pill we take. It is a small piece of paper to keep in the wallet.

Before the trip, which the next one will be for 23 days, I fill my weekly pill holder (plus one day for the day I am doing this). I then dump all of it into a bottle or zip bag. This time I will do that twice. Then I fill up the pill holder again (plus one day). That will be for the first week. 8 days x 3 times = pills for 24 days!!!

We always carry all of our meds in the original containers, especially if we are entering another country. We still take the weekly case for convenience though. Personally I wouldn't even dare enter another country without the original container. The last thing I need is trying to convince a customs or security official what a particular medication is, especially since the same med can look completely different depending on the manufacturer. And as previously stated, it's much easier in case you need medical attention. Yes, they take up more space, but for me, it's really not that big of deal. I've learned how to pack my carryon so I don't even notice. Also, knowing that I travel a lot, my pharmacist will affix a label to a smaller bottle so that I don't need to take the large bottles. Customs officials see meds from passengers from all over the world. I take the original containers because I don't want there to be any question as to what I'm carrying.

Archived