Power chairs personal versus rental

loriepta

We are planning on taking my father in law on his first cruise at the end of the year. Few questions, we will be flying down to Florida. Do people find it easier to rent power chairs or scooters for the cruises or take their own? DH thinks it would be easiest to take father in laws personal with us, but I haven't called the airlines yet to see how much of a hassle it might be. Also what companies have people used for rentals? Thanks for the help:)

The DW and I have an unwritten rule, If we fly, we rent. That being said, when we do rent, we use Care Vacations (search for the web site). They will deliver the chair, or scooter to the cabin and you are to leave it there for pick up. Royal Caribbean, at least, will offer wheelchair assistance, with chair, on and off the ship at the port, and the airports will offer wheelchairs as well. This leaves the time not in either of those places as being "walk time" for your FIL. Like the above poster, we are not happy with the way the airlines handle our scooter hence the rental. BUT they will accomodate your need and at no extra cost.

There is another company approved by most cruise lines for rental and they are Special Needs at Sea (another site look up.

Have a great cruise. Your father-in-law will find cruising a very w/c friendly way to travel.

Pros of taking own:

He knows how to drive it, and it fits him (I assume).

He has it to use at the airports as well as on the ship.

No additional costs.

Cons of taking his own:

Can get damaged loading onto/off the plane.

The best way to manage it at the airport is to gate check it. He rides the chair to the door of the plane, transfers to the aisle chair (unless he can walk onto the plane), and the airline takes it down their freight elevator to load onto the plane through the luggage door. About 30 minutes before landing, you notify the cabin attendant that you have a gate checked wheelchair you will need brought up, and also if you will need help getting out of the plane with the aisle chair. When you land, someone in your party should get off right away and wait at the door of the plane for the wheelchair to be brought up. Once it is, "snag" it and make sure no one else tries to take it (it happens, unbelievably), and wait until he is brought to the jetway off the plane, then use the chair to get to the connecting flight or to the curb for your transportation. Always check the chair immediately for any damage (before leaving the gate) and file a claim for any found immediately.

• 3 weeks later...
Pros of taking own:

He knows how to drive it, and it fits him (I assume).

He has it to use at the airports as well as on the ship.

No additional costs.

Cons of taking his own:

Can get damaged loading onto/off the plane.

The best way to manage it at the airport is to gate check it. He rides the chair to the door of the plane, transfers to the aisle chair (unless he can walk onto the plane), and the airline takes it down their freight elevator to load onto the plane through the luggage door. About 30 minutes before landing, you notify the cabin attendant that you have a gate checked wheelchair you will need brought up, and also if you will need help getting out of the plane with the aisle chair. When you land, someone in your party should get off right away and wait at the door of the plane for the wheelchair to be brought up. Once it is, "snag" it and make sure no one else tries to take it (it happens, unbelievably), and wait until he is brought to the jetway off the plane, then use the chair to get to the connecting flight or to the curb for your transportation. Always check the chair immediately for any damage (before leaving the gate) and file a claim for any found immediately.

This is great advice, Thank You. I always travel with my scooter but never thought to have hubby get off first to grab it. We just sit and wait until someone tells us it is up. You are correct that others will think it is for them, LOL.

Just wanted to pop in with my two cents worth. Be sure to check your airline's website regarding power wheelchairs. When we were doing personal research we found some restrictions on the type of batteries that can be transported in an airplane's cargo hold. Hope your family has a great trip!

Thanks!

This seems to be the most often type thread on CC. The two mentioned companies are NOT the only companies that you can rent from. They are however the only two companies that the cruise lines will deal with. If a company says that they will provide a mobility device on your cruise, they will work with one of the two listed companies. I use to use a company called Scootaround, they were cheaper (by a lot) than either of the two APPROVED companies. When we got on the ship the scooter was there with "Special Needs At Sea" literature attached. BTW I don't need to use them anymore only because I bring my Travelscoot whenever I fly or cruise.

I always bring my own scooter. As noted I too ride to the airplane door, and it is waiting at the door when I disembark. The only cruise issue is making sure you are in an accessable room that can fit the power chair through the doorway.

I have a very lightweight folding travel scooter, and when doing landbased trips ie disneyworld, land of all things accessable, I have rented a second larger scooter for the vacation and left mine in our room. I now need a captains chair with head and neck support, and need a heavy scooter to go over brick and cobbles.

• 2 months later...

I don't fly, so I can't speak to that, but just wanted to mention, if you do rent one, try and get the same kind he's used to.

I have a "travel" Powerchair that folds up for travel. It uses the exact same joystick controller as my Jazzy, but because it has only 4 wheels, with the drive wheels in the back, it doesn't move anything like my normal Chair.

If I'm taking the travel one on a ship, I always switch over to it a few days ahead to remind myself how it maneuvers. ;)