Cozumel reconnaissance

Odile

So, I'm beginning to plan for our vacation in June, and the first stop on our cruise is Cozumel. I actually cruised here once before (when I was 18), and all we did was wander through the town and shop a bit, but I didn't enjoy it all that much so I'm looking to do something different and more enjoyable (for me, haha!) this time around. I'll be there with my husband and 4-year-old daughter, as well as my parents and extended family, so we have some flexibility overall.

Here are the basic options I've mostly gathered from perusing other threads on this board:

- beach resort (Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Monkey Bar, and others)

- dolphin experiences (Dolphinaris, etc.)

- downtown shopping + bars

What else is there that I'm missing? Are there good beaches nearby that are not resorts, i.e., just a huge swath of beach minus the games, pools, restaurants, etc? Are there excellent historical sites or ancient ruins that are easily accessible or worth the trouble of getting to? I would love suggestions.

So, I'm beginning to plan for our vacation in June, and the first stop on our cruise is Cozumel. I actually cruised here once before (when I was 18), and all we did was wander through the town and shop a bit, but I didn't enjoy it all that much so I'm looking to do something different and more enjoyable (for me, haha!) this time around. I'll be there with my husband and 4-year-old daughter, as well as my parents and extended family, so we have some flexibility overall.

Here are the basic options I've mostly gathered from perusing other threads on this board:

- beach resort (Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Monkey Bar, and others)Money Bar is for snorkeling and will not be suitable for your 4-year old

- dolphin experiences (Dolphinaris, etc.)Check out Chankanaab - dolphin and other experiences, plus a nice beach and a lagoon for snorkeling from the shore; admission fee may be an issue :(

- downtown shopping + bars Doubt your 4-year old will enjoy shopping and bars :rolleyes:

What else is there that I'm missing? Are there good beaches nearby that are not resorts, i.e., just a huge swath of beach minus the games, pools, restaurants, etc? Are there excellent historical sites or ancient ruins that are easily accessible or worth the trouble of getting to? I would love suggestions.

Not much in the way of historical sites or ancient ruins on Coz - you'd need an all day tour to see those on the mainland.

I would focus on either Chank or one of the beach clubs that meets your needs/desires. Playa Mia would be great for your 4-year old but may not be as good a fit with the rest of the crowd.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm leaning more toward doing ruins in our Belize port day, so probably a beach is going to be our best bet here. I'll have to read up on them a little more.

What makes you think my 4-year-old isn't a huge shopper and drinker?!? :rolleyes: