Best beach or to do in Bermuda?

bigsky

Going to be in Bermuda for the first time end of May for the America's Cup. May only venture out one morning since this trip is more about the Cup race. Not sure of our schedule. Want to hit one beach. Horseshoe Bay looks really nice. Would love to get some sea glass as well. Looked at that beach, and it didn't look very appealing. Is it close to? Any recommendations for a short time over there?

Going to be in Bermuda for the first time end of May for the America's Cup. May only venture out one morning since this trip is more about the Cup race. Not sure of our schedule. Want to hit one beach. Horseshoe Bay looks really nice. Would love to get some sea glass as well. Looked at that beach, and it didn't look very appealing. Is it close to? Any recommendations for a short time over there?

They don't allow you to take sea glass from the sea glass beach close to the Dockyard. There is a sign prohibiting it and several reported that there were sometimes someone there enforcing it. Also on some ships the security will confiscate it if they find it when checking your bag when returning onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a 'to do' list here.

If any of the links in the to do list are broken,. please post which ones.

SBtS

They don't allow you to take sea glass from the sea glass beach close to the Dockyard. There is a sign prohibiting it and several reported that there were sometimes someone there enforcing it. Also on some ships the security will confiscate it if they find it when checking your bag when returning onboard.

Good to know...thanks!

Stupid question tho....I assumed you had to take a water taxi to a drop off point from the dockyard?? Then a taxi or bus to your destination???

Good to know...thanks!

Stupid question tho....I assumed you had to take a water taxi to a drop off point from the dockyard?? Then a taxi or bus to your destination???

Never mind...got it figured out :rolleyes: I had only looked at an aerial view of the dockyard. I think we'll take a taxi to Horseshoe

Good to know...thanks!

To get to the three beaches that include the Sea Glass Beach you take a public bus or taxi on the road. There is one road leaving the Dockyard. You are dropped of near a cemetery and walk from there. But I recommend against bothering to go there. It is pretty much a dump and they don't want you taking the sea glass.

If you have some time for other than the America's Cup go to spectacular Horseshoe Bay. You can take a minibus shuttle, a taxi or a public bus.

There are ferries from the Dockyard that go to either St.George's or Hamilton. St. George's is a World Heritage Site. There is a beach there Tobacco Bay that is a good snorkeling beach. St. George's is well worth a visit if you have time. Hamilton is the business center with lots of shops.

To get to the three beaches that include the Sea Glass Beach you take a public bus or taxi on the road. There is one road leaving the Dockyard. You are dropped of near a cemetery and walk from there. But I recommend against bothering to go there. It is pretty much a dump and they don't want you taking the sea glass.

If you have some time for other than the America's Cup go to spectacular Horseshoe Bay. You can take a minibus shuttle, a taxi or a public bus.

There are ferries from the Dockyard that go to either St.George's or Hamilton. St. George's is a World Heritage Site. There is a beach there Tobacco Bay that is a good snorkeling beach. St. George's is well worth a visit if you have time. Hamilton is the business center with lots of shops.

My shopping/beach adventures would be much different if we weren't here for the Cup! Love both!! If we really like what little we see, we may have to come back to get the full 3 days in here. Looks like a beautiful place.

Seaglass doesn't appeal to me if it's not that nice and I can't take any glass.

What's the different in the minibus shuttles? Are they obvious? Do they drop you off right at Horseshoe or a walk from the drop off? Pretty easy to grab transportation back? Assuming since it's such a popular place.

My shopping/beach .......

........ take any glass.

What's the different in the minibus shuttles? Are they obvious? Do they drop you off right at Horseshoe or a walk from the drop off? Pretty easy to grab transportation back? Assuming since it's such a popular place.

Here's what the layout was for transportation at the Dockyard in 2016:

Zones.jpg

You would pick up the shuttle in zone 5.

The shuttle drops you off at the beach and the cost is $7.00 p/p (2016 price) each way. The shuttles would be waiting for you in the parking lot for the ride back

SBtS

Here's what the layout was for transportation at the Dockyard in 2016:

Zones.jpg

You would pick up the shuttle in zone 5.

The shuttle drops you off at the beach and the cost is $7.00 p/p (2016 price) each way. The shuttles would be waiting for you in the parking lot for the ride back

SBtS

Is there a difference in the bus and shuttle? Looks very easy now looking at the diagram. Thanks for posting that!

Also, is there a really nice beach that rents sup boards? If dh decides he wants to do that and not just be content going to Horseshoe, wondering if we can have a backup plan. It would have to be pretty equivalent to HS for me to go.

Is there a difference in the bus and shuttle? Looks very easy now looking at the diagram. Thanks for posting that!

Also, is there a really nice beach that rents sup boards? If dh decides he wants to do that and not just be content going to Horseshoe, wondering if we can have a backup plan. It would have to be pretty equivalent to HS for me to go.

The bus is a public bus where you wait for one to show up. They run on a schedule. The public bus stop is at the top of the hill. Cost is $4.50 is if you buy a token. Seat is not guaranteed. There are often standees.

The minibus shuttles are private. They go down the hill to the beach. The 2016 fare was $7. You will have a seat. The minibus will leave for the beach as they fill up. In my experience that does not take long.

I don't know what a sup board is.

sup = stand up paddle boarding

Here's a site that lists 5 businesses that either rent sup boards or offer tours. Only one offers rentals off a beach, and that's SurfSup at Daniels Head Beach which is about 5 miles from the Dockyard.

This is all information from 2016 so you may want to wait and see what will happen when the 2017 cruise ship seasons starts.

SBtS

The bus is a public bus where you wait for one to show up. They run on a schedule. The public bus stop is at the top of the hill. Cost is $4.50 is if you buy a token. Seat is not guaranteed. There are often standees.

The minibus shuttles are private. They go down the hill to the beach. The 2016 fare was $7. You will have a seat. The minibus will leave for the beach as they fill up. In my experience that does not take long.

I don't know what a sup board is.

For sure the shuttle!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sup = stand up paddle boarding

Here's a site that lists 5 businesses that either rent sup boards or offer tours. Only one offers rentals off a beach, and that's SurfSup at Daniels Head Beach which is about 5 miles from the Dockyard.

This is all information from 2016 so you may want to wait and see what will happen when the 2017 cruise ship seasons starts.

SBtS

dh really wants to rent sup boards at Daniels. Thoughts of the area? How do I find out costs?

dh really wants to rent sup boards at Daniels. Thoughts of the area? How do I find out costs?

I read they won't be open this year. Maybe something to do with the evictions at Nine Beach? Maybe some of the Bermudians would know who are active here. But check back when the season begins and there might be more info.

There is contact info on the SurfSup web site which is at:

http://www.surfsupbermuda.com/about-us.html

Looking at the pictures in this article, is why I think they may be gone....

http://bernews.com/2017/01/9-beaches-occupants-being-evicted-today/

Edited by Charles4515

Assuming Cash and not tokens on the mini-bus shuttle ? Are there many shuttles ?

There are a lot of the Minibus shuttles. When I went to Horseshoe and returned from the beach there were always a bunch of them waiting. Some of the shuttles have WiFi. I took it four times and had WiFi on one. They take cash. Some take credit cards. Tokens are only for the public buses and ferries.

At the Dockyard

92287a0251a3317c336d07eb7b666618.jpg

At Horseshoe

89992f53f7226e9f9df719f2f1ac22df.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

I read they won't be open this year. Maybe something to do with the evictions at Nine Beach? Maybe some of the Bermudians would know who are active here. But check back when the season begins and there might be more info.

There is contact info on the SurfSup web site which is at:

http://www.surfsupbermuda.com/about-us.html

Looking at the pictures in this article, is why I think they may be gone....

http://bernews.com/2017/01/9-beaches-occupants-being-evicted-today/

Bummer....well, guess we'll be going to Horseshoe for sure. dh was looking forward to sup'ing in Bermuda

The area is next to the former 9 Beaches Resort which has been closed for a few years, but there is an attempt to reopen.

Their web page has not been updated with info for 2017, but they do provide an email address and phone number.

There is a Facebook page but not too active.

I would contact them for their plans (if any) for the 2017 season.

Good luck!

SBtS

The area is next to the former 9 Beaches Resort which has been closed for a few years, but there is an attempt to reopen.

Their web page has not been updated with info for 2017, but they do provide an email address and phone number.

Good luck

SBtS

Thanks! We'll see where we end up at

Good luck!

SBtS

The tenants at 9 Beaches were evicted only a few weeks ago. According to the article I linked to there was also a fire. Some recent pictures of the current state the property. I doubt that the 55 million dollar redevelopment of 9 Beaches pictured in your link is going to be completed this year.

As far as SurfSup, it could be worth requesting info from their email link. Perhaps they will be operating somewhere. If that is their equipment being hauled away in one of the the pictures during the eviction perhaps they were able to recover it.

The tenants at 9 Beaches were evicted only a few weeks ago. According to the article I linked to there was also a fire. Some recent pictures of the current state the property. I doubt that the 55 million dollar redevelopment of 9 Beaches pictured in your link is going to be completed this year.

As far as SurfSup, it could be worth requesting info from their email link. Perhaps they will be operating somewhere. If that is their equipment being hauled away in one of the the pictures during the eviction perhaps they were able to recover it.

I'll check that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums