Booking 4 in a cabin but sleeping 5?

snoopy5386

I am in the very early stages of planning a group cruise for 11 - a family of 4 (us), a family of 5, and 2 cabins with one person in each, so 4 cabins total. We have cruised together before back when the family of 5, was a family of 2 and had a blast and are trying to figure out how to do it again without breaking the bank. Is it possible to book one kid from the 5 person family as the 2nd person in with one of the single cruisers on paper but to have that kid sleep in the room with his parents? Has anyone done this? Where does the kid sleep? Can we bring an air mattress or something? Is there room on the floor for this? I think the parents would be fine with splitting the bed into two twins if it meant there'd be room on the floor for the 3rd kid.

You can do this, but I'd tip the Room Steward extra.

How big is the fifth? Ships built before 2000 will allow a trundle (good for those under 4'6") or a roll-away in the cabins. You wouldn't have to bring an air mattress. On Carnival all the Fantasy class and a few others allow this. If you are cruising at a Hi Peak time (Spring Break) you might have to bring the air mattress.

Be very organized and use shoe holders.

Edited by SadieN

Just remember that whichever child is listed in the other cabin "may" be assigned to a different muster station than yours - so, during muster, that child would need to go with the other adult, not you, and in case of an emergency, they would need to go to that station not yours. This may not be an issue, but thought I would mention it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just remember that whichever child is listed in the other cabin "may" be assigned to a different muster station than yours - so, during muster, that child would need to go with the other adult, not you, and in case of an emergency, they would need to go to that station not yours. This may not be an issue, but thought I would mention it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, I am aware of this and we'd probably list the oldest just in case. We plan to get cabins all in a row adjoining each other, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

You might want to post this question in the forums for those lines - I believe the rooms in general on the Breakaway are a little tighter than people had hoped for a new ship, but I think it depends on the category. We were on the Star, and a balcony cabin would have been a little tight for 3 or 4, and 5 would have been really challenging. But honestly it depends on how flexible you are about having a really full cabin, and if one of your kids can sleep on a small portable mattress, and two others can sleep together in a pullout couch.

The breakaway has family ocean view rooms that sleep 5. They look to be the same size as balcony rooms just without the balcony. There is a curtain that can be pulled between parents bed and kids beds. That might work for your family of 5. The breakaway also had awesome studio solo rooms so your 2 solos could book there and not have to pay the single supplement. You should check them out.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

The breakaway has family ocean view rooms that sleep 5. They look to be the same size as balcony rooms just without the balcony. There is a curtain that can be pulled between parents bed and kids beds. That might work for your family of 5. The breakaway also had awesome studio solo rooms so your 2 solos could book there and not have to pay the single supplement. You should check them out.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Thank you, I did know that. On our last cruise we did 4 balcony rooms all in a row and loved it, we'd like to repeat it if possible, but I will offer up those two options to the group.

Carnival Dream (and the dream class) have Deluxe Oceanview rooms that sleep 5. They have 2 bathrooms in them, but are extremely reasonable in price. We are doing a 7 day for $2400 as a family of 5. King bed, sofa, and two pull down beds.